A5 WTC (New Road from Aughnacloy to Derry)

Started by Hereiam, June 08, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I suppose we'd better get used of paying for ye in preparation for the United Ireland  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Therealdonald

Quote from: Rossfan on November 29, 2017, 09:30:17 PM
I suppose we'd better get used of paying for ye in preparation for the United Ireland  ;D

Sure if ye hadn't took the soup in the first place we'd all be watching the quiet man together

armaghniac

If they are cute they will use the present negotiations to redirect some EU or British money, or more likely British money paid to the EU, to this project. A Cullaville bypass and an Enniskillen bypass should be added in as well.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hereiam

Another life lost on this road today. The woman who was knocked down a week or so ago has passed away.

TabClear

Quote from: Hereiam on January 27, 2018, 07:40:11 PM
Another life lost on this road today. The woman who was knocked down a week or so ago has passed away.

I heard that earlier. Tragic news. It's an absolute disgrace this road is still in the shape it is.

omagh_gael

I had to go to Cork for work On Monday, hadn't been there in nearly 20 years. Once I hit the motorway at Ardee I didn't see a single carriageway until I reached the venue. On Thursday I had to go to Galway. It really hit home how shit the roads are in the West, and more particularly, the north west.

Serious action required to get us even close to the status quo. Too many lives being lost.

omagh_gael

Yet again we've had a couple of tragic days on the A5. This time 3 elderly people have been killed within 3 miles of eachother in Omagh. An elderly couple killed after a collision with a Lorry a mile out of town on the Ballygawley side and today a man knocked down and killed instantly on the through pass (a joke to call it a bypass).

I got caught up in the traffic chaos yesterday coming back from work in Belfast and the town was at a total standstill today with the diversions due to the tragedy today.

Those who blocked the road should hang their heads in shame. Lives are being lost needlessly due to their narrow-minded ways.

Condolences to all involved and to the young mother of 3 killed on the way back from the football in Dublin early Sunday morning.

trailer

Tragic news. The current situation is totally unacceptable. The west has been ignored infrastructure wise for too long.
I imagine the current impasse in Stormont isn't helping either.

Puckoon

Shocking news, very rough couple of days for road accidents.

Owen Brannigan

All three deaths on the A5 were on straight stretches of the road but due to current road design issues.

The poor man killed on the Great Northern was crossing the road to/from the industrial estate, a route taken by dozens every day to/from work. You have to cross to a tiny refuge island in the middle of the road but the road has a 50 mph limit. Traffic flows so fast that every takes some chance to cross over. Hundreds of people work in the industrial estate and even more visit it each day.

None of these deaths and the further accident yesterday evening on the A5 at the Bankmore Road junction would have been prevented by the new road because they occurred within the area of Omagh requiring the Omagh bypass which has always been left unscheduled as part of the A5 construction phases. It is the most obvious phase to put in place given the bottleneck of Omagh on the A5. However the phases are now scheduled Derry to Strabane (3 years) then Ballygawley to near Omagh (3 years) followed by the Omagh Strabane and Omagh bypass at some stage in the future when funds become available.

Those greedy farmers and landowners in the Anti A4 Alliance have a lot to answer for in the delays they have caused in the project which would have finished the first two phases in 2015 if they had not held it back because land prices crashed in 2008.  DFI incompetency has been exposed by the landowners but essentially they are looking for more money for vested land.

trailer

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on September 05, 2018, 03:47:09 PM
All three deaths on the A5 were on straight stretches of the road but due to current road design issues.

The poor man killed on the Great Northern was crossing the road to/from the industrial estate, a route taken by dozens every day to/from work. You have to cross to a tiny refuge island in the middle of the road but the road has a 50 mph limit. Traffic flows so fast that every takes some chance to cross over. Hundreds of people work in the industrial estate and even more visit it each day.

None of these deaths and the further accident yesterday evening on the A5 at the Bankmore Road junction would have been prevented by the new road because they occurred within the area of Omagh requiring the Omagh bypass which has always been left unscheduled as part of the A5 construction phases. It is the most obvious phase to put in place given the bottleneck of Omagh on the A5. However the phases are now scheduled Derry to Strabane (3 years) then Ballygawley to near Omagh (3 years) followed by the Omagh Strabane and Omagh bypass at some stage in the future when funds become available.

Those greedy farmers and landowners in the Anti A4 Alliance have a lot to answer for in the delays they have caused in the project which would have finished the first two phases in 2015 if they had not held it back because land prices crashed in 2008.  DFI incompetency has been exposed by the landowners but essentially they are looking for more money for vested land.

Accidents are halved by dual carriage ways. I think I read 9 people have been killed since the road was due to be completed. That's 4 or 5 people dead today who should be alive.

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

giveherlong

Quote from: FermGael on November 21, 2018, 10:45:19 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46223550

Has been a complete shambles from day 1
The Dept for Infa and their predecessors have made some balls of this project
Compare the A5 to the progress on A6 (Drumahoe/Dungiven and Ranalstown/C'Dawson)

Walter Cronc

Don't understand why people have objected to this? I assume they will lose their homes etc.

Any plans for a new route?

Dougal Maguire

I'd have thought this is a good thing. The court  case was challenging the fact that civil servants didn't have the power to make the decision based on the Buick judgement. Now that the legal challenge to this has ended are Civil Servants now free to retake the decision based on the new powers bestowed upon them by Karen Bradley
Careful now