A5 WTC (New Road from Aughnacloy to Derry)

Started by Hereiam, June 08, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: oakleafgael on October 21, 2013, 04:28:13 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on October 21, 2013, 04:05:14 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on October 21, 2013, 03:58:00 PM
A question for all the dooms day merchants who live west of the Bann like myself. What projects in our local area that are ready for commencement, by that I mean ready to put out to tender, would you have spent the money on? If the money isn't committed then it will be returned to Westminster.

The A5 project could have went ahead if the will was there to do so. All this environmental nonsense is just an excuse to pull the pin on the 'united Ireland highway'.

I'm sorry to say but that's not true. The DRD's consultants failed to follow the correct procedures and although the project was halted on a technicality the law was on the side of the objectors.

If the political will was there for this road to happen then it would go ahead. The 'technicality' is just the way they stopped it, not the reason.

LeoMc

A question for all the dooms day merchants who live west of the Bann like myself. What projects in our local area that are ready for commencement, by that I mean ready to put out to tender, would you have spent the money on? If the money isnt committed then it will be returned to Westminster.

A5 from Ballygawley to Omagh. There were no environmental objections to this. It got pulled previously as it was considered as part of a larger scheme including the NTS - Strabane section on which the environmental case was built.

oakleafgael

Quote from: EC Unique on October 21, 2013, 04:44:08 PM
A question for all the dooms day merchants who live west of the Bann like myself. What projects in our local area that are ready for commencement, by that I mean ready to put out to tender, would you have spent the money on? If the money isn't committed then it will be returned to Westminster.

The A5 project could have went ahead if the will was there to do so. All this environmental nonsense is just an excuse to pull the pin on the 'united Ireland highway'.

I'm sorry to say but that's not true. The DRD's consultants failed to follow the correct procedures and although the project was halted on a technicality the law was on the side of the objectors.

If the political will was there for this road to happen then it would go ahead. The 'technicality' is just the way they stopped it, not the reason.

I have tried to be polite but that's bullshit.

oakleafgael

Quote from: LeoMc on October 21, 2013, 04:46:54 PM
A question for all the dooms day merchants who live west of the Bann like myself. What projects in our local area that are ready for commencement, by that I mean ready to put out to tender, would you have spent the money on? If the money isnt committed then it will be returned to Westminster.

A5 from Ballygawley to Omagh. There were no environmental objections to this. It got pulled previously as it was considered as part of a larger scheme including the NTS - Strabane section on which the environmental case was built.

You are correct that there are no objections to the Omagh-Ballygawley section of the A5 but as there was only one Public Inquiry and one EIS there is only one approval or not in this case.

offtheground

"conor macauley ‏@TVconormac
Roads schemes to beneft. A8 Larne gets another £30m. £13.6 for Magherafelt bypass. £8m on A26 @ Glarryford. £1m on A6 @ C'dawson"

Not all the money going east - Magherafelt bypass going ahead and £1m at Castledawson....

LeoMc

Quote from: oakleafgael on October 21, 2013, 04:50:51 PM

You are correct that there are no objections to the Omagh-Ballygawley section of the A5 but as there was only one Public Inquiry and one EIS there is only one approval or not in this case.

I cannot understand why the 2 road schemes were not completely split. IS that another slip by DRD or would there be valid reasons for treating it as one project bearing in mid they had tendered the sections separately from the beginning.

Stall the Bailer

Why is it A5 or A6 for an upgrade?
Both are needed.

EC Unique

Quote from: oakleafgael on October 21, 2013, 04:48:18 PM

You believe this road is not going ahead because of environmental reasons? You believe that this is not a political thing? You believe green vs orange is not a factor?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: EC Unique on October 21, 2013, 03:54:42 PM
Blame our local ''politicians''. They will hear all about it when they  land on my door step looking my vote. Useless c*%ts. >:(
And all the people moaning west of the Bann will still put an X beside the SF candidate in the next election   :-\

EC Unique

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 21, 2013, 06:20:33 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on October 21, 2013, 03:54:42 PM
Blame our local ''politicians''. They will hear all about it when they  land on my door step looking my vote. Useless c*%ts. >:(
And all the people moaning west of the Bann will still put an X beside the SF candidate in the next election   :-\

I doubt that. I for one won't be voting for the first time in years and I know a lot of other people who feel let down and won't be voting either.

oakleafgael

Quote from: EC Unique on October 21, 2013, 05:42:44 PM

You believe this road is not going ahead because of environmental reasons? You believe that this is not a political thing? You believe green vs orange is not a factor?

The only reason that there isn't currently around 1000 people working in the fields between Ballygawley and Newbuildings is the ineptitude of the DRD's consultants in completing the necessary steps to take the project through the required legal process. They could have talked politics and tried all they liked but the contracts and funding where already in place.

Getting the show back on the road will be a completely different thing, and I have no doubt that politics will come into it then.

oakleafgael

Quote from: LeoMc on October 21, 2013, 05:05:21 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on October 21, 2013, 04:50:51 PM

I cannot understand why the 2 road schemes were not completely split. IS that another slip by DRD or would there be valid reasons for treating it as one project bearing in mid they had tendered the sections separately from the beginning.

The project was always tendered together and never separately. 3 sections on it and each bid team was only ever allowed to be awarded 1 section. Newbuilding to Sion Mills, Sion Mills to Omagh, Omagh to Aughnacloy.

It wasn't possible to split the EIS, the Foyle/Finn Catchment actually stretches a fair way into the Omagh to Aughnacloy section. There should have been no problems if they done their jobs properly.

EC Unique

Quote from: oakleafgael on October 21, 2013, 08:08:34 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on October 21, 2013, 05:42:44 PM

The only reason that there isn't currently around 1000 people working in the fields between Ballygawley and Newbuildings is the ineptitude of the DRD's consultants in completing the necessary steps to take the project through the required legal process. They could have talked politics and tried all they liked but the contracts and funding where already in place.

Getting the show back on the road will be a completely different thing, and I have no doubt that politics will come into it then.

I feel that the people here have been seriously shafted. I doubt if the project will take place anytime soon. A real pity and people will definitely die as a result.

armaghniac

QuoteWhy is it A5 or A6 for an upgrade?
Both are needed.

In the short term neither are betting an upgrade, apparently. The good old Ballymena to Ballymoney road is more important andwill get the nod, a better class of person uses it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

saying i be on that road on and off, i go with that better class of person alright lol