A5 WTC (New Road from Aughnacloy to Derry)

Started by Hereiam, June 08, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bailestil

Where did this notion of Irish Gov agreeing to it in St Andrews appear from?
Maybe they ain't so stupid after all. If it ain't in writing it, they never agreed it.

http://www.nio.gov.uk/st_andrews_agreement.pdf

ziggysego

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 10, 2011, 12:07:54 PM
I think Nally's points are all fair questions, and people appear to be ignoring his points/ questions.

When it was reaffirmed in May that the project was still going ahead, what's changed since then to stop it going ahead.

€3.6 billion
Testing Accessibility

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 10, 2011, 11:47:41 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 10, 2011, 11:42:03 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 10, 2011, 11:31:10 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 10, 2011, 11:16:21 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 10, 2011, 10:26:25 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 10, 2011, 09:46:10 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on November 09, 2011, 11:20:03 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 09, 2011, 10:30:08 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 09, 2011, 10:12:21 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 09, 2011, 10:03:09 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on November 09, 2011, 08:25:03 PM
well in fairness it would be hard to sell the cuts that are coming up in the budget to the 'sheep' while building a road in 'the nort'.
jao meebollicks would have had a fieldday :-[

Well if lots of road projects throughout the Republic are being cancelled, why should a road in the North get the go ahead. It would be a slap in the face of taxpayers.

The road would effectively be a corridor from Monaghan to Donegal so yes, it is of benefit to the 26 counties.
But if they can't afford to build the road through Monaghan and up to Aughnacloy, why would they prioritise the Aughnacloy to Derry section?

It was to meet up with the road in Monaghan.

Would you rather the new road avoided the north and went the long way round to Donegal?
My point is that there was no money and no sign of the Monaghan section being built. So why would the southern Government use taxpayers' money to prioritise the section in the north?

And let's not forget, this is only one of countless infrastructure projects that have been pulled.

Cos they promised before the election, and again in May, that they would provide the funds? Or was Enda treated as badly as Bertie....nobody told him in May that there was an economic crisis? Furthermore it would have meant that Derry would no longer be Ireland's only main city with no main road to Dublin.
Yes, but again, if they can't afford to fund the part of the road in their own taxpayers' jurisdiction...

But did Enda & Co think back in May that they could afford it? ("The previous government had committed to put money in there and we will honour that commitment." Enda Kenny, May 2011). Did nobody tell him about the debt crisis in May? Has nobody told him about the €3.6bn that has since magically appeared? Has nobody told him that funding for this road by the Dublin government was a committment of the St Andrew's Agreement?
I just don't understand how he has suddenly realised they can't afford the road, when he was full of promises a few short months ago. Maybe back in May, nobody told him they would have to pay €750m to foreign bondholders by the start of November.

Nally now that Martin is back up North, will ya ask him can he put the money into to upgrading the Atlantic Corridor and the N5, I expect he will have no problem sucking the funds out of the North and let a few projects up there hit the shelf as part of the sarcrifice.

Did he say in May that he would do so?
Did he also specifically commit to doing so as part of the St Andrew's Agreement?
Is the N5 upgrading of benefit to All Ireland/cross-border infrastructure?

If yes to the above, then I' say he would be happy enough to put up some funding. Give him a ring.

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 10, 2011, 11:42:03 AM
Nally now that Martin is back up North...
Is he in Donegal? Or are you being partitionist as always?

The 6 counties are on the Eastern half of the island, typical Eastern Irish paritionist. What about cross-Shannon infrastructure.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

armaghniac

There is a lot of talk of partitionism here. Some Tyrone posters seem to think that welfare or pay in the 26 counties should be cut so that this road can go ahead right now, which is easy to say if it doesn't affect them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 10, 2011, 11:58:12 AM
Quote from: Hardy on November 10, 2011, 11:52:21 AM
Nally doesn't seem to notice all the capital projects being pulled, except one. They can abandon roads, rail links, children's hospitals anywhere without comment, as long as it's not in Northern Ireland.

Partitionist.

I just find it odd that they would commit to it in the St. Andrew's agreement, spend €19m on it to date, commit to funding the rest just a few months ago, and only now realise they can't afford it? Did the economic crisis only start on Monday? Jaysus you lads get terribly upset when it is suggested Enda broke a promise  :o

Another man who cannot stick to his word

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch5u8YbOyIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=nzvpMlHuIrs

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: armaghniac on November 10, 2011, 12:15:04 PM
There is a lot of talk of partitionism here. Some Tyrone posters seem to think that welfare or pay in the 26 counties should be cut so that this road can go ahead right now, which is easy to say if it doesn't affect them.

Huge cuts in road infrastructure in the West. Maybe Dublin should get its Metro, o wait it isn't. If Dublin isn't getting something you know the rest of us have f**k all chance.

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 10, 2011, 12:23:31 PM

Huge cuts in road infrastructure in the West. Maybe Dublin should get its Metro, o wait it isn't. If Dublin isn't getting something you know the rest of us have f**k all chance.

Meanwhile Derry is to remain Ireland's only main city which doesn't have a main road to the capital. Seriously, what changed since May?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 10, 2011, 12:37:02 PM

Meanwhile Derry is to remain Ireland's only main city which doesn't have a main road to the capital. Seriously, what changed since May?

Meanwhile, Derry, Letterkenny, Sligo, Carrick-on-Shannon, Ballina, Castlebar, Westport, Roscommon Town, Athlone, Galway, Longford Town, Gort, Ennis, Limerick, Tullamore, Tralee, Killarney, Skibbereen, Cork, Mallow, Nenagh, Clonmel will continue to experience poor interconnectivity.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 10, 2011, 12:45:16 PM

Meanwhile, Derry, Letterkenny, Sligo, Carrick-on-Shannon, Ballina, Castlebar, Westport, Roscommon Town, Athlone, Galway, Longford Town, Gort, Ennis, Limerick, Cork, Tralee, Killarney, Skibbereen, Cork, Mallow, Nenagh, Clonmel will continue to experience poor interconnectivity.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Nally Stand

Meanwhile, Derry, Letterkenny, Sligo, Carrick-on-Shannon, Ballina, Castlebar, Westport, Roscommon Town, Athlone, Galway, Longford Town, Gort, Ennis, Limerick, Tullamore, Tralee, Killarney, Skibbereen, Cork, Mallow, Nenagh, Clonmel will continue to experience poor interconnectivity.

Talking about this with you...why am I wasting my time. It's like having the discussion with a four year old.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 10, 2011, 12:53:29 PM

Talking about this with you...why am I wasting my time. It's like having the discussion with a four year old.

Maybe you should realise that 6 counties in Ulster are not the only places in Ireland.

Nally wonder could SF arrange for a new moterway between Mayo and Belfast, it would provide crossborder interconnectivity. It would also allow me to get to places like Sligo quicker and improve the N5 at least as far as Charlestown (yes I know the N5 officially does not got through the town anymore).

thebigfella

Cry me a f**king river  ::)

Nally Stand

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 10, 2011, 12:56:36 PM

Maybe you should realise that 6 counties in Ulster are not the only places in Ireland.

Nally wonder could SF arrange for a new moterway between Mayo and Belfast, it would provide crossborder interconnectivity. It would also allow me to get to places like Sligo quicker and improve the N5 at least as far as Charlestown (yes I know the N5 officially does not got through the town anymore).

And how would that rectify the fact that Derry remains the only main city in Ireland without a main road to the capital?

armaghniac

They used to say that there were only motorways East of the Bann in the 6 counties. Now that SF are in government there are still only motorways east of the Bann. Why?

Edit: I forgot about the twisty bit going to Dungannon.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 10, 2011, 01:26:53 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 10, 2011, 12:56:36 PM

And how would that rectify the fact that Derry remains the only main city in Ireland without a main road to the capital?

Call a spade a spade your just being a mé féiner, a Tyrone buck looking to get to Derry and Dublin quicker, why should you have any more right than a Mayoman wanting to be able to get to Galway or Dublin quicker? The Mayo person is paying taxes for the road.