Gilroy new Dubs manager

Started by Declan, October 11, 2017, 08:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roashter

No doubt Connolly is a super footballer -indeed one of the best in the country. For hurling though, I've seen him at some club games this year and he doesn't stand out as definitely inter-county standard. His fitness levels & strength give him a big advantage alright but I fear he would be badly exposed at inter-county level against the better teams.
In saying that -if he got a full season exclusive to the hurlers he may well be a big addition, but it's a big risk as I feel he has a lot more value to the footballers

rodney trotter

He isn't committing, said he was to old at 30 to be switching over to County Hurling.

Gilroy sent Connolly home from a training camp in La Manga when he was football manager, according to Saturdays Indo. They might be club mates but hardly best buddies .

johnneycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 14, 2017, 08:45:21 PM
if Dublin get their top players onto the squad they'll be a match for anyone in the league

Fixed that for you there.

Still loads of work to be done with Dublin hurlers before they'll be considered serious championship contenders.

Still behind the likes of Limerick, Clare and Wexford IMO.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on October 18, 2017, 11:27:45 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 14, 2017, 08:45:21 PM
if Dublin get their top players onto the squad they'll be a match for anyone in the league

Fixed that for you there.

Still loads of work to be done with Dublin hurlers before they'll be considered serious championship contenders.

Still behind the likes of Limerick, Clare and Wexford IMO.

Wexford? I know they have a couple of top hurlers but Dublin playing in a higher league has to count for something? That said, Galway have done alright! :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

easytiger95

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 11, 2017, 01:01:47 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on October 11, 2017, 12:25:09 PM
Also, his pass for Rock's fist point from play was absolutely sublime. I'm not his biggest fan but the team is stronger with him as an option. He is a good hurler though.
I can accept all of that without a bother but the fact remains that he had played in the final and got a red card for his troubles, the odds are that Mayo would have won that game, unless he was carded inside the last five minutes or do.
Gilroy and Diarmuid are Vins' men and the odds are that they will get along together.

but the fact (knowledge or information based on real occurences) remains that he had played in the final (I'm assuming that you mean "had he" played in the final, and is a hypothetical situation i.e. it didn't happen) and got a red card for his troubles (a hypothetical situation occurring within a hypothetical situation i.e. something that might happen in a situation that definitely didn't happen), the odds are that Mayo would have won that game (you're now calculating the odds of a hypothetical event occurring in a match that didn't actually happen i.e Dermo didn't play against Mayo, so he definitely didn't get sent off, in fact, he didn't start)

Get yourself down to Paddy Power, they'd love to see you, and they'll definitely give you odds.

tippabu

Played Tipp in a challenge today lost by 18 i think, ment to be alot of dirty strokes, Niall o meara taken to hospital coughing up blood. The then went down to cork and most of the team that played tipp also played against cork, lost by 13. Mad stuff, dont see any sense in it or whats to gain from playing two in the one day

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lar Naparka

Quote from: easytiger95 on October 18, 2017, 02:01:14 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 11, 2017, 01:01:47 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on October 11, 2017, 12:25:09 PM
Also, his pass for Rock's fist point from play was absolutely sublime. I'm not his biggest fan but the team is stronger with him as an option. He is a good hurler though.
I can accept all of that without a bother but the fact remains that he had played in the final and got a red card for his troubles, the odds are that Mayo would have won that game, unless he was carded inside the last five minutes or do.
Gilroy and Diarmuid are Vins' men and the odds are that they will get along together.

but the fact (knowledge or information based on real occurences) remains that he had played in the final (I'm assuming that you mean "had he" played in the final, and is a hypothetical situation i.e. it didn't happen) and got a red card for his troubles (a hypothetical situation occurring within a hypothetical situation i.e. something that might happen in a situation that definitely didn't happen), the odds are that Mayo would have won that game (you're now calculating the odds of a hypothetical event occurring in a match that didn't actually happen i.e Dermo didn't play against Mayo, so he definitely didn't get sent off, in fact, he didn't start)

Get yourself down to Paddy Power, they'd love to see you, and they'll definitely give you odds.
Only spotted this now. Maybe I phrased what I was saying awkwardly but you are missing my point
I think Gavin was pissed off when Connolly got red against Carlow and the fact that he failed to play him subsequent to that, after his term of suspension was over, points to this. Diarmuid cantering about in a tee shirt of sorts during the AI final would seem to indicate that he wasn't too happy with his enforced absence either.
However, if I were Gavin, I'd be wary of playing him unless he was absolutely needed. He's a supremely talented player without a doubt but he's also well-known for his hair trigger temper. I'd imagine that if Paddy Power had offered odds on a Dublin player getting red carded in the final, Diarmuid would be shortlisted.
If he had had started against Keegan, his self-control would be pushed to its limits as Kegan is a superb practitioner of the dark arts, same as Connolly himself is. Now, there is little point in having one of the two most accomplished players in the country on your team if he loses the rag and gets red-carded.
I believe that Gavin has realised that Connolly will always be a high-risk player and if he feels he can get by without him, he certainly will.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

johnneycool

Quote from: tippabu on January 06, 2018, 10:23:37 PM
Played Tipp in a challenge today lost by 18 i think, ment to be alot of dirty strokes, Niall o meara taken to hospital coughing up blood. The then went down to cork and most of the team that played tipp also played against cork, lost by 13. Mad stuff, dont see any sense in it or whats to gain from playing two in the one day

Maybe laying down a marker with the physical stuff that not going to be pushed about this year.

Need to lay down a few markers on the scoreboard as well though.

Declan

So Keaney back on the panel and now Tom Ryan from Limerick has transferred to Cuala/Dublin - interesting summer beckons anyway

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Declan on January 11, 2018, 10:57:43 AM
So Keaney back on the panel and now Tom Ryan from Limerick has transferred to Cuala/Dublin - interesting summer beckons anyway

Keaney still playing club hurling? BB? Great GAA athlete !

Declan

QuoteKeaney still playing club hurling? BB?

Yep

Avondhu star

Absolutely. Gilroy seems intent on doing a good job. Danny Sutcliffe back, Paul Winters in good form. It looks like a united camp who have a good panel of players. A lot of these lads have had underage success and have played to all ireland finals,leinster finals and League finals. Not necessarily winning out but have the experience of meeting the best along the way
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

johnneycool

Quote from: Avondhu star on January 17, 2018, 02:18:42 PM
Absolutely. Gilroy seems intent on doing a good job. Danny Sutcliffe back, Paul Winters in good form. It looks like a united camp who have a good panel of players. A lot of these lads have had underage success and have played to all ireland finals,leinster finals and League finals. Not necessarily winning out but have the experience of meeting the best along the way

Still need that marquee forward in O'Callaghan to push on to the next level all the same.

Tipp, Galway and Waterford are slightly ahead of the chasing pack. Kilkenny are an unknown at this stage.

north_antrim_hound

Seen them twice in a week
First v Antrim no contest really
Then v Wexford last Sunday
Very impressed with them, had Wexford on the rack to winters got red
Their tackling and aggression when they don't have the ball is fantastic
There number 11 ( Whitley) was very good and Winters
Solid full back line and very pacy corner forwards
Young Dillon came on in second half and looks promising
There no6 is to slow but Imm sure Rushe will slot in there when he comes back
Sutcliffe of the pace but showed signs of old
I think they could run deep this summer and challenge for trophies next year no problem
Big crowd there so things are looking up for Dublin hurling
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets