Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Well done to Lisbellaw! Great for hurling in Fermanagh.

FermGael

Any body know anything about our new under 21 manager?
Malachy Cullen is his name.
I have never heard of him.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Caid

9 November 2012
Belfast Telegraph

FERMANAGH football boss Peter Canavan is taking decisive steps to ensure that what has developed into a flood of youthful talent is funnelled through the proper channels as a precursor to emerging onto the senior stage.

Canavan, clearly determined to achieve back-to-back promotions for the Erne county by leading his side into Division Two of the Allianz League come the spring, has already conducted a forensic scrutiny of under-age starlets and has moved quickly to streamline the mechanism whereby he feels the players can flourish.

The appointment of Malachy Cullen as the new under 21 manager is seen as central to this strategy and already the former Aodh Rua, Ballyshannon player has got down to business.

Cullen shared in two championship titles with his club some two decades ago and since then has made an impact in the club management sphere.

He guided Devenish to the Fermanagh senior league title in 2008 and in the same year steered the club to the U21 championship title.

Canavan (pictured) is particularly anxious that because of the high ratio of younger players now coming through, there should be closer integration between the U21 and senior set-ups.

"It's very encouraging to see these young players making an impression. The most important thing is that they obviously want to play for Fermanagh and that's always a good starting point. I want to make sure that they are given a fair crack of the whip," said Canavan.

The under 21 squad will undertake strength and conditioning sessions under the watchful eye of senior team mentors Lorcan Martin and Niall Smyth as part of the closer liaison between the two squads.

Fermanagh liaison officer Gerard Tracey spells out the county's commitment to its up and coming talent in no uncertain terms.

"This year players like Kane Connor and Sean Quigley, both very gifted youngsters, made a big impression in our senior team," he said.

"Now we have brought into the squad players like the Cullen twins Che and Lee, Niall Shannon and Ryan Hyde all of whom played for St Michael's College Enniskillen in the MacRory and Hogan Cup competitions, while we are also running the rule over other potential senior squad candidates such as Aidan Breen." Meanwhile, Tempo will be aiming to complete a double coup in Fermanagh when they meet Lisnaskea Emmets in the All County League final on Sunday in what is a repeat of the recent championship decider which was won by Tempo.

However, John McElroy's side were beaten in the Ulster club championship by St Gall's last Sunday and are now anxious to get back on the rails by making it double disappointment for a Lisnaskea side still coming to terms with the recent tragic death of skipper Brian Og Maguire.

Daniel Kille, Niall McElroy and John Woods will again be key figures in their side while Tempo will look to experienced trio Ryan Keenan, Damien Kelly, Darryl Keenan and the prodigiously talented 19-year-old Aidan Breen to spark their double ambition.

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Caid

Tempo 1-4 Lisnakea 0-2 at half time

Bad game

Skea man sent off after 5 minutes
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Caid

Tempo won by 7 (1-9 vs 0-5)

Great win given the St Galls defeat last week

Five red cards

FermGael

So new year and hopefully alot to look forward to.
Better standard of football i a very competitive division 3 which will hopefully  bring
our younger players on.
Seems that we have picked up a few serious injuries in the off season
Ronnie, Barry and Cecil supposed to have picked up pretty serious injuries and looks like
they will miss the start of the national league. Suppose it will give us the opportunity to
look at other players
They are also seem to be serious problems with finance within the country.
Fair play to players for trying to do something about it by organising the brawl and a last man
standing.
I would be much happier if players were concentrating on playing matters. The county board
do not seem to be doing a while pile and are miles behind other countries when it comes to
fundraising. The usual of response of having a draw is not enough. More has to be done.
Something like what's done in mayo with cairde mayo would be a good start.

left_peg

I was up watching a challenge game yesterday in Brewster between the senior and u21 teams. decent game actually. some decent performances by the u21's with the senior team giving new members a run out.
saw that barry mulrone was being put through his paces on the sideline by Lurcan Martin. Looked like a rough bit of work he was doing. good to see him getting the extra work to keep him in shape as an option for later in the year.
2013 could be a good year

Fermanaghandsam

So who played well for either team left_peg? Who done the scoring, I have a feeling that will be our big issue this year (just like other years I suppose).

left_peg

The senior lads won well as you'd expect with rolling subs so right few men got game time. tommy mc elroy, p ward and d keenan all did well. r jones and brian cox were both very strong and fit looking. r hyde was bossed about a bit in midfield. u21 keeper, mc aleer, was in top form. if this keeps up he could be involved with the seniors now that gallagher is out possibly. good to see that there's a link between senior and u21's though. positive move. ere's to a good year.

FermGael

McAleer is a very good keeper and is also a very confident outfield player as well.
Played midfield last year for St Michael's and Enniskilen Gaels.  A real prospect especially with the Ronnie out injured.

Seems that we will play a Donegal development squad tonight with none of last years All Ireland team on duty.
Then St Mary's on Sunday who are also missing a high number of players.
Should be two wins and then a good competitive final game against Monaghan.
Should give Canavan a good chance to look at the squad and see who id up to it

sammymaguire

Quote from: FermGael on January 09, 2013, 12:34:58 PM
McAleer is a very good keeper and is also a very confident outfield player as well.
Played midfield last year for St Michael's and Enniskilen Gaels.  A real prospect especially with the Ronnie out injured.

Seems that we will play a Donegal development squad tonight with none of last years All Ireland team on duty.
Then St Mary's on Sunday who are also missing a high number of players.
Should be two wins and then a good competitive final game against Monaghan.
Should give Canavan a good chance to look at the squad and see who id up to it

I would imagine there are a few Donegal lads on the fringes with points to prove ...
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

FermGael

Is the match still on with this fog?

Fermanaghandsam

There will be alot of unhappy players that took half days if it isn't!!

FermGael

Referee making the call at 6.30

FermGael