Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

FermGael

And so it begins.
Is Canavan abandonding ship or is he jostling for position?

He has also given a samilar interview to the Impartial Reporter

http://fermanaghherald.com/2012/07/03/canavans-future-up-in-the-air/
Canavan's future up in the air
July 3, 2012 at 7:00 am

By Colm Bradley
Peter Canavan will sit down with the county Board before deciding on his future stating that it was always going to be the case that 'we were going to review our position at the end of the year'. The Tyrone legend also explained that the management team 'weren't going to stay for the sake of staying' and that the they would 'speak to the county board' and 'see how things go.'
In a far reaching interview Canavan explains that there are a 'number of issues' that need to be addressed in terms of giving the players every opportunity to reach their potential.
Canavan was reluctant to go into details regarding what the specific issues were but there is no doubt that the two time All Ireland winner will need assurances if he is to stay at the helm for another year.
Canavan believes that there has been improvement made this year but that the Fermanagh players have a long way to go to catch up with other counties in terms of conditioning and it was when fleshing out this point that he raised the question of support for the players;
"There's been serious progress I believe with these players in the past six months. Are they up to the level of other counties? No. They're not. If the desire's there and they want to do it, there's nothing to stop them getting themselves into that sort of condition. But, we'll certainly have to look at that end of it.
But, they do need all the support they can get. There's a number of issues need to be addressed in that. Are the players getting every opportunity they can to be the best they can be? Look, we'll look at our own end of things, we'll speak to the county board and we'll see how things go."

Its pretty obvious he is after somebody to look after the Strength and Conditioning side of things, similar to what Micky McGurn did in 2008.  It was something that was very obvious, especially with some of the subs that Fermanagh brought on.  They did not have the physiciality needed for modern intercounty football.
But this will cost money and IMHO we are all ready way over our heads.
Over to you County Board and probably more importantly, Club Eirne
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

viva the mccooey

solution is obvious, Fermanagh should stick to the Fly fishing!

haranguerer

Cos in 08 they were tanks??!

You could have the best strength and conditioning trainer in the land in, and it wont make a bit of difference unless the lads are doing it on their own, thats the problem. To see any impact come through you'd need to have players and potential players in the gym of their own accord, throughout about three full off seasons, and also keeping it going but toning it down a bit during the season. Its too late, certainly for that year if some lad is put on a program when he joins the panel in Jan. 

There is no gym culture in fermanagh football, whereby players are in the gym every night off their own bat, compared to other counties, and thats an issue. This is probably linked to the rurality etc, and is changing slowly, but its a long way behind just about every other county.

From canavans point of view, he is resigned to picking a panel of footballers from an underdeveloped pool  and seeing what he can do with them physicality wise, whereas what he should be able to do (and what most co managers can do) is pick a panel of footballers who are already fit and strong. Feeds back to the club scene I suppose. In relation to the interview, I dont know if that emphasis is on getting gym membership or similar for the panel and potentials or coming up with somethign that makes it easier for players to do their strength work, but certainly getting in a strength coach for the season will add little. Unless he has 3 sessions a week from 52 weeks of the year that is.

FermGael

In 08 the players were doing a serious s & c programme and were meeting up in smaller groups to do it.
If you go back and look at any of the games in the ulster championship from 08 you will see Fermanagh players routinely put bigger opposing players on there arse.

yes i agree with the point about players doing it on there own but there must be a programme dictated to them.
IMO we are light years behind other counties and this process must start at a young age.

Colm Bradley did a great piece in today's Fermanagh herald.
it sums the whole thing up.

haranguerer

At this stage, every gaa player has more programs than they know what to do with, the problem is a lot of them only look at them for three weeks in January when they harbour ambitions of becoming adonises overnight. Some of these programs are excellent, some may be not so good, but anyone who follows any of them properly for a sustained period will come on leaps and bounds.

I disagree with you about 08. The only players I remember being put on their arse were put there by marty. They may have been on a good program, but its not going to have been that much better than the ones their opponents had in all likelihood been on solid for at least 3 or 4 years previous, to enable them to be 'routinely' tossing bigger men. The point is it doesnt work like a one year wonder thing, you need to be engraining the culture of the training you describe in 08 so that now 4 or 5 years later, you can really see the benefit.

It needs to be viewed differently, i.e. that it isnt something to be done when the players start back to training, or done in conjunction with training, rather that anyone with serious ambitions should have their s & c work as an ongoing, background thing - the framework for improving the rest of the attributes needed to be a decent interco footballer.

Didnt see bradleys article, heralds got bad, tho in fairness to him hes got a lot better

eachaidh

Hi everyone,

Sorry to hijack the thread but please bear with me!

I have been made aware of a study that the University of Ulster are currently carrying out into defibrillators in the GAA. It's an all-Ireland study that is based on line.

As this is such an important and emotive subject for many of us Gaels I thought that I should try to get the word out so that as many of us as possible participate in order to make the results more reliable. The link is below and I would encourage everyone to take the 5 minutes and complete the form. The idea is to get a picture of where we are at as an organisation with the provision of this life saving equipment.

I should state that this is not my study and I am not involved in it other than that I know the people carrying it out. But on their behalf I would like to thank everyone who does fill it out in advance. Your help will be greatly appreciated and hopefully will help the GAA and all of our members. Getting this information may eventually even help to save lives.

Go raibh maith agat!

Link Below:

https://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/971431/CRP-Defibrillators-Survey

sammymaguire

It all kicks off this weekend.... predictions lads + lasses
Target SFC

Fri, 27 Jul, Venue: Kinawley, (Round: Round 1), Tempo Maguires V Belcoo O'Rahilly's 19:30

Sat, 28 Jul, Venue: Tempo, (Round: Round 1), Irvinestown St Molaises V Newtownbutler First Fermanaghs 19:30

Sun, 29 Jul, Venue: Brewster Park, (Round: Round 1), Derrygonnelly Harps V Roslea Shamrocks 14:00

Sun, 29 Jul, Venue: Brewster Park, (Round: Round 1), Lisnaskea Emmetts V Devenish St Mary's 15:30
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

FermGael

Belcoo
Newtown
Lisnaskea
Roslea.

some good games starting tonight between the 2 dark horses for the championship.

sammymaguire

I reckon Tempo will run it close this year
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Caid

Tempo won by 4 tonight - were 5 up at half time (and Belcoo had few soft scores in first half).

Exciting game by all accounts
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

FermGael

Roslea beat by 2. last minute penalty in the 9th minute of injury time.
The unit got a red after the final whistle.
Will be an interesting referees report.

sammymaguire

Two cracking games at Brewster today, Roslea will feel hard done by losing to a penalty in the 8th minute of added time, but have themselves too much to do with a poor first half display, 7 points in arrears starting the 2nd half.

Skea deserved their win against a never say die Devenish team, but the slightly classier forward line in Killle and 2 Littles with good support from Brian Og saw them through. They'll be feeling bullish about going all the way with what teams are left.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ExiledGael

Great highlights package of Championship games on Sunday.
Skea Devenish
www.vimeo.com/46679247
Roslea Derrygonnelly
www.vimeo.com/46713405

sammymaguire

championship swinging back in to action this weekend, some decent looking contests

Senior Football Championship - Quarter Finals

Lisnaskea v Newtownbutler Brewster Park 17/08/2012 20:00
St Pats v Enniskillen Gaels Lisnaskea 18/08/2012 19:00
Tempo v Derrygonnelly Brewster Park 19/08/2012 15:30
Erne Gaels v St Josephs Irvinestown 19/08/2012 19:00

Intermediate Football Championship - Quarter Finals

Belnaleck v Maguiresbridge Kinawley 17/08/2012 19:00
Kinawley v Aghadrumsee Lisnaskea 18/08/2012 17:30
Brookeboro v Teemore Brewster Park 19/08/2012 14:00
Derrylin v Coa Irvinestown 19/08/2012 17:30

Cannot see any upsets
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!