the GAA's supercrisis and the 2018 annual Report

Started by seafoid, February 07, 2019, 08:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 07, 2019, 10:46:37 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 07, 2019, 10:32:26 AM
So let's have your suggestions on what they should do.

1. Complete cleanout on Jones Road. Too many chefs, too many committees too many tinkerings to justify their existence. In general, leave it alone
SOUNDS LIKE A LATE NIGHT BARSTOOL COMMENT " GET RID OF THE FCKRS AT THE TOP ".  THERE'D BE SOME COMPO BILL FOR ALL THE STAFF WHOSE CONTRACTS YOU'D TERMINATE.

2. Accountability. The people who brought us the puc debacle have been rewarded. The GAA press need to be critical and risk the trough.
YOU'RE AT YOU'RE  ONE TRACK  SUBJECT AGAIN. THE GAA BROKE ITS OWN RULES TO ALLOW THAT SOCCER MATCH TAKE PLACE.

3. Stop this anti sport attitude. Dublin and Kilkenny are where they are because of good decisions and graft. Handicapping them is not the approach, pull up your own socks.
NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT HANDICAPPING KILKENNY.WITH ITS SMALL POPULATION THEY WERE BOUND TO BE CAUGHT UP WITH. DUBLIN WITH ITS HUGE POPULATION AND FUNDING IMBALANCE ON THE OTHER HAND....

4. That said the imbalance in funding is crazy. Back ambition wherever it is.

5. Infrastructure is all over the place. PuC, Casement, Tallaght. Disasters following no pattern.
WASN'T AWARE THE GAA HAD A STADIUM IN TALLAGHT. 
CASEMENT HIT PLANNING ISSUES AND NOW NO STORMONT,
PÁIRC FRANK REINFORCES THE CASE FOR MORE CENTRALISM IN THE GAA.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 07, 2019, 02:33:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 07, 2019, 11:07:52 AM

1. Complete cleanout on Jones Road. Too many chefs, too many committees too many tinkerings to justify their existence. In general, leave it alone

2. Accountability. The people who brought us the puc debacle have been rewarded. The GAA press need to be critical and risk the trough.

3. Stop this anti sport attitude. Dublin and Kilkenny are where they are because of good decisions and graft. Handicapping them is not the approach, pull up your own socks.

5. Infrastructure is all over the place. PuC, Casement, Tallaght. Disasters following no pattern.

I think the Dubs are a different kettle of fish to KK
The GAA didn't decide to fund KK systematically to the detriment of everyone else

The Dubs were a bit of joke between 1996 and 2008 say

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/fault-lines-appear-for-kerry-in-a-kingdom-under-pressure-1.3769567

"Dublin's transformation from 1970s nostalgia act to unprecedented juggernaut has forced Kerry football people – all Kerry people, in other words – to think differently about themselves. The old certainties have been stripped away with bewildering haste."

Not long ago you were saying the opposite seafoid! I suppose now that you have seen the Dubs up close against Galway you now realise the true nature of this animal. Talk of cycles has vanished?
I didn't realise how lopsided the funding was FTB
And last year showed how far behind the peloton is.
We might get another all Ireland out of the hurlers;)

Football is a mess
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 07, 2019, 05:16:50 PM

SOUNDS LIKE A LATE NIGHT BARSTOOL COMMENT " GET RID OF THE FCKRS AT THE TOP ".  THERE'D BE SOME COMPO BILL FOR ALL THE STAFF WHOSE CONTRACTS YOU'D TERMINATE.

YOU'RE AT YOU'RE  ONE TRACK  SUBJECT AGAIN. THE GAA BROKE ITS OWN RULES TO ALLOW THAT SOCCER MATCH TAKE PLACE.

NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT HANDICAPPING KILKENNY.WITH ITS SMALL POPULATION THEY WERE BOUND TO BE CAUGHT UP WITH. DUBLIN WITH ITS HUGE POPULATION AND FUNDING IMBALANCE ON THE OTHER HAND....

1. Well isnt that the point? How do the GAA have more admin staff than the FAI and IRFU combined? Get rid of the committees.

2. I meant the cost and pitch debacle. And they absolutely did not.

3. So? Dublin is tbe biggest county, it should win more than it has. Nothing tbey have dobe cant be done elsewhere.

5. There isnt in Tallaght and it coat the GAA a million to still not have one. Casenent was the forgery of health and safety reports. PuC who knows. But the pattern is there. Fail. Fail. Fail.

There is a diffetence between centralisation and oversight.

People like you with the 'sure its grand' attitude and abusing me for being critical are a major problem.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 07, 2019, 07:13:20 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 07, 2019, 05:16:50 PM

1. Well isnt that the point? How do the GAA have more admin staff than the FAI and IRFU combined? Get rid of the committees.

2. I meant the cost and pitch debacle. And they absolutely did not.

3. So? Dublin is tbe biggest county, it should win more than it has. Nothing tbey have dobe cant be done elsewhere.

5. There isnt in Tallaght and it coat the GAA a million to still not have one. Casenent was the forgery of health and safety reports. PuC who knows. But the pattern is there. Fail. Fail. Fail.

There is a diffetence between centralisation and oversight.

People like you with the 'sure its grand' attitude and abusing me for being critical are a major problem.
Take GAA HQ out of Dublin
Rent out offices in Croke Park to a company
Plenty of empty office space in Mulingar, Tullamore, Athlone or Portlaoise

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on February 07, 2019, 05:43:39 PM

The GAA didn't decide to fund KK systematically to the detriment of everyone else

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/fault-lines-appear-for-kerry-in-a-kingdom-under-pressure-1.3769567

"Dublin's transformation from 1970s nostalgia act to unprecedented juggernaut has forced Kerry football people – all Kerry people, in other words – to think differently about themselves. The old certainties have been stripped away with bewildering haste."

Not long ago you were saying the opposite seafoid! I suppose now that you have seen the Dubs up close against Galway you now realise the true nature of this animal. Talk of cycles has vanished?

Football is a mess

How? There has been pages and pages of articles, reports, graphs, etc posted on GAABOARD. You are always on here. How in the name of bejaysus did you miss all this? It's been like a sore thumb for half a decade now!

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 07, 2019, 08:40:30 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 07, 2019, 05:43:39 PM

Football is a mess

How? There has been pages and pages of articles, reports, graphs, etc posted on GAABOARD. You are always on here. How in the name of bejaysus did you miss all this? It's been like a sore thumb for half a decade now!
As I said before, Dubs are like Brexiteers
Cannot deal with the facts

TheMaster

Quote from: Rossfan on February 07, 2019, 02:38:26 PM
I love Hound's bit about asking Club members to put €14k of Clubs funds towards paying a coach......
That rules out about 90% of Clubs in most Counties.

Surely clubs should invest in promotion officers rather than paying outsider manager to manage their adult teams. Clann na Gael , St Brigids, Garrycastle and St Lomans all midland clubs paying outside managers 150-200 a training session. Stephen Rochford was 250 a session with Corofin and they trained 3 nights a week. James Horan was getting something similar with Westport.

Rossfan

caprea

Quote from: TheMaster on February 07, 2019, 11:08:15 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 07, 2019, 02:38:26 PM
I love Hound's bit about asking Club members to put €14k of Clubs funds towards paying a coach......
That rules out about 90% of Clubs in most Counties.

Surely clubs should invest in promotion officers rather than paying outsider manager to manage their adult teams. Clann na Gael , St Brigids, Garrycastle and St Lomans all midland clubs paying outside managers 150-200 a training session. Stephen Rochford was 250 a session with Corofin and they trained 3 nights a week. James Horan was getting something similar with Westport.

A bit pointless when Dublin clubs not only pay managers, they also pay outside the county players to play for them.

Hound

Quote from: Hound on February 07, 2019, 05:03:24 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 07, 2019, 04:05:29 PM
I know of 3 clubs in the midlands who were willing to 50% fund a full time coach, shared between the 3 clubs.
They had a club coaching plan, funding plan, and school coaching plan all in place and they went looking for matching funding
No matching funding available at county or provincial level.

That's shocking if true.
Goes against all information given by the GAA in relation to such funding.
Let's find out if it is true.

Start by the naming the clubs involved and we'll go from there.

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 07, 2019, 10:41:15 PM

C'mon let's get the facts.

You hardly just made that up. Did you?

No1

QuoteFundamentally, where the suits need put in order, is this.

1. Core values of community and volunteering need stamped on their foreheads, sent as daily reminders, typed in 10 foot letters at the top of every letter or enail they read. Every decision they make needs to be evaluated against how it improves the Association for communities and volunteers. If it doesn't help them, don't proceed..

2. Strategies, annual budgets and forecasts should focus on minimising expenditure, and not maximising revenue. This concept does not rule out large infrastructure projects or a commitment to coaching; as both provide advantages to members. But it should minimise the desire/need/will to collect pits of cash and then decide what to spend it on. The purpose of this organisation should never be to gather money.

This.  100% this.

johnnycool

Quote from: No1 on February 08, 2019, 09:07:02 AM
QuoteFundamentally, where the suits need put in order, is this.

1. Core values of community and volunteering need stamped on their foreheads, sent as daily reminders, typed in 10 foot letters at the top of every letter or enail they read. Every decision they make needs to be evaluated against how it improves the Association for communities and volunteers. If it doesn't help them, don't proceed..

2. Strategies, annual budgets and forecasts should focus on minimising expenditure, and not maximising revenue. This concept does not rule out large infrastructure projects or a commitment to coaching; as both provide advantages to members. But it should minimise the desire/need/will to collect pits of cash and then decide what to spend it on. The purpose of this organisation should never be to gather money.

This.  100% this.

That's what happens when you go chasing the business school/corporate types to run the organisation.

Before you know it revenue growth, leveraging synergies and so forth take precedence over everything else.

Supporters and volunteers are then just cash cows to eek every single brass farthing out off.

Rossfan

What do ye think of us (The GAA) buying Clonliffe College?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on February 08, 2019, 08:45:12 AM
Quote from: Hound on February 07, 2019, 05:03:24 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 07, 2019, 04:05:29 PM
I know of 3 clubs in the midlands who were willing to 50% fund a full time coach, shared between the 3 clubs.
They had a club coaching plan, funding plan, and school coaching plan all in place and they went looking for matching funding
No matching funding available at county or provincial level.

That's shocking if true.
Goes against all information given by the GAA in relation to such funding.
Let's find out if it is true.

Start by the naming the clubs involved and we'll go from there.

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 07, 2019, 10:41:15 PM

C'mon let's get the facts.

You hardly just made that up. Did you?

Honestly Hound I'd say you're barking up the wrong tree here. I know for a fact if my own club could get a coach for just €14k we'd have done it but there's no matching funds anywhere. As a county, Sligo has only 4 and one of them (hurling GPO) has to work a day a week in Leitrim. I'd guess here are clubs in Dublin who have more coaches.

westbound

Quote from: Rossfan on February 08, 2019, 09:47:30 AM
What do ye think of us (The GAA) buying Clonliffe College?

As per Peter McKenna

"our plan is to develop the site to deliver extensive GAA facilities, a new hotel to complement a proposed Cusack Stand redevelopment and, importantly, entering into a partnership with a developer to deliver substantial social and affordable housing,"

What business does the GAA have in building a hotel?
What business does the GAA have in building houses?

Also, whats the cusack stand redevelopment that is proposed?

If the site is going to be sold anyway, it might make sense for the GAA to purchase it, rather than letting it go to a 3rd party who could build anything there that might not suit the GAA. But I don't see how building hotels and houses promote the activities of the GAA.