Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Canelo and others are prepared to wait GGG out. He's 34 and the clock is ticking...

lurganblue

Joke from Canelo.  Think i've lost all respect for him.  Does GGG move on and fight someone like saunders?

Medic

GOD DAMN DISGRACE!!!! FLOYD MAYWEATHER SNAPS!! CANELO ALVAREZ SHOULD RUN FROM GGG GENNADY GOLOVKIN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnZf9zpEfic

Great analysis on Floyd Money Mayweather!!! :P

Eta: Keith Thurman calls Money Mayweather a cherry picker throughout his whole career :P  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etAFIuAampo

Eta2: Max Kellerman Talks To Elie Seckbach About Floyd Mayweather vs GGG EsNews Boxing  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi62PrWD3Y8
All Things Dr. Karl Raymond Marx Kennedy  - https://allthingsdockarlkennedy-blog.tumblr.com/

Boycey

Katie Taylor beaten again in World semi-finals, strange times indeed. Luckily a semi spot is enough to guarantee Olympic place..

On a brighter note, Kellie Harrington has made her final

AZOffaly

Apparently the scoring looked quite dodgey. Still, her aura is definitely fading. Hopefully she can lift it for Rio again.

Hound

Professional boxers allowed to compete in Rio. 84 of the 88 federations voted in favour of expanding it. I wonder if Ireland was one of the dissenters, I would have thought we should have been.

A qualifying tournament in Venezuela coming up with 26 places available in the Olympics across the various weights. Be very interesting to see how many pros put themselves forward. Although presumably they'll need to be nominated in the first instance by their local boxing body, so that might mean having to win a national amateur comp first to qualify for Venezuela. 

muppet

Quote from: Hound on June 01, 2016, 10:42:10 AM
Professional boxers allowed to compete in Rio. 84 of the 88 federations voted in favour of expanding it. I wonder if Ireland was one of the dissenters, I would have thought we should have been.

A qualifying tournament in Venezuela coming up with 26 places available in the Olympics across the various weights. Be very interesting to see how many pros put themselves forward. Although presumably they'll need to be nominated in the first instance by their local boxing body, so that might mean having to win a national amateur comp first to qualify for Venezuela.

Is the flip side of this vote that our amateurs will now be allowed to sign proper professional deals? I am aware of the semi-professional bouts they have recently started, but surely this would go a lot further?
MWWSI 2017

BennyHarp

It's a bit sad really that the pros will be allowed into the Olympics. I always viewed an Olympic gold medal as the pinnacle of the sport - in this case the pinnacle of an amateur boxers career. A chance to call themselves the best at what they do in the world. This will all be watered down if and when (if the sponsors want) the professionals jump on board. An Olympic gold will make you the best of the handful or so pros that decide that they can get a bit of exposure from entering the games - hardly the prestigious title it is today. It will no longer be the ultimate goal for an amateur boxer who will either turn pro quicker or just be put off as the money men take over. The olympics has always been the breeding ground for former world champions and one of my favourite events at the games, it'll be a bit depressing if this decision has a detrimental effect on that.
That was never a square ball!!

STREET FIGHTER

Who wins Bellew v Haye?

Boycey

nrico2006

Bellew simply wants paid, probably make more from the Haye fight than he would fighting ten more nobodies. As for the Olympics, where has these extra spots came from or were they previously available?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JimStynes

I agree with Froch's view on things:

"I feel it's better being left to the amateurs," Froch, 38, told Press Association Sport. "I still sort of regret when I look back, not qualifying for the Olympics. (But) If I went to the Olympics now as a professional, it wouldn't feel right, wouldn't feel the same.

"I'm not sure any top professional, who's got a chance of becoming a champion, earning a lot of money, would want to join the amateurs. You're going to get the odd one, but any current pro, who's desperate to be a world champion, would they want to risk going to the Olympics for a three-round format?

"Overall, it's a bad move. It takes the prestige away from winning a gold medal in the Olympics. It doesn't feel right for me."

Among the reactions to the development have been concerns it would be a dangerous move to match relatively-inexperienced amateurs against proven professionals.

Before retiring, Froch continued to train with the GB amateur squad in Sheffield - where his one-time trainer Rob McCracken is performance director. He therefore experienced the finest amateurs' talent and how difficult it can be for a professional to adjust to the intense demands of three three-minute rounds, instead of the steadier up-to-12-round professional format.

"It's not (easy)," he said. "A lot of top world champions would get beaten by top amateurs. It's a simple as that: it's not long enough. How many times have I had a professional world championship defence, and I'm three or four rounds down before I've got started?

"A lot of top pros may not do well at the Olympics. I spar with Antony Fowler, who's just qualified for the Olympics, and for two or three rounds I literally don't get near him. I'll walk onto his right hand, and he can punch a bit.

"Perhaps round four I start to turn it around and get into it, and then the spar's over. Somebody like Fowler would probably beat me. I wouldn't want to take the risk, to be honest.

"I'm not so sure (somebody could get hurt) because it's three three-minute rounds. I don't think it's any more dangerous: there's no headguards anymore in the amateurs. I've trained and sparred with many top amateurs: honestly they hold their own, all of them.

"The amateurs are more suited to succeeding at the Olympics, and winning medals. I think Rob will probably stay loyal to the amateurs, and in my opinion that's the best decision. Why take a gamble on a pro?

"Who are you going to take? A professional boxer that's rough and tough, or an amateur boxer with bags of international amateur boxing experience, and (of) how to score on the scoring system, to impress the judges?"

Captain Obvious

Not sounding good for Muhammad Ali  :(

gallsman

Watched this morning. It was incredible.