A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on June 19, 2017, 06:29:27 PM
Benny and Yellow, now you're getting it! Dublin doesn't care about us

It's not that they don't care. It's that the Irish leaders on the world/European stage are insecure, spineless, gutless arselickers. Signing away their natural resources, accepting any sort of ruling on bailouts, lending, EU laws, etc. f**king stand up for yourselves and your people once in a while, and tell them to get fcuked!

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on June 19, 2017, 10:44:37 PM

It's not that they don't care. It's that the Irish leaders on the world/European stage are insecure, spineless, gutless arselickers. Signing away their natural resources, accepting any sort of ruling on bailouts, lending, EU laws, etc. f**king stand up for yourselves and your people once in a while, and tell them to get fcuked!

What natural resources did they sign away?
As for standing up to people, if you don't borrow money from them then you are in a better position to tell them where to go.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on June 19, 2017, 11:16:13 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 19, 2017, 10:44:37 PM

What natural resources did they sign away?
As for standing up to people, if you don't borrow money from them then you are in a better position to tell them where to go.

Gas, electricity, fishing, forestry for starters. Iceland rejected bailouts, and told them to get stuffed. Ireland could have and should have done likewise.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on June 19, 2017, 11:34:19 PM
Gas, electricity, fishing, forestry for starters. Iceland rejected bailouts, and told them to get stuffed. Ireland could have and should have done likewise.

Please explain how electricity and forestry have been signed away?
Iceland had an IMG programme also and it basically defaulted because it had no choice, with significant adverse consequences for its citizens.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Avondhu star

Quote from: BennyCake on June 19, 2017, 05:31:27 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 19, 2017, 04:31:07 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 19, 2017, 04:08:37 PM
Will someone give me evidence of a serious attempt by the South to promote Irish Unity over the last century?

Of course they should be doing more but when it happens there has to be some level of acceptance from the unionists that it has been reached via a democratic vote and not something that is foisted on them. Listening to Leo Varadkar saying how much of a thrill it was for him to be in 10 Downing Street today wouldn't exactly inspire you with any confidence that he is going to fight any harder for nationalists in the north.

He won't. Nor will any of them. The southern politicans are a bunch of arse-lickers when dealing with Britain/EU. They bend over and take everything thrown at them.

Unlike Northern nationalists who are completely self sufficient and do no rely on handouts from anyone
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Avondhu star

Quote from: yellowcard on June 19, 2017, 04:31:07 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 19, 2017, 04:08:37 PM
Will someone give me evidence of a serious attempt by the South to promote Irish Unity over the last century?

Of course they should be doing more but when it happens there has to be some level of acceptance from the unionists that it has been reached via a democratic vote and not something that is foisted on them. Listening to Leo Varadkar saying how much of a thrill it was for him to be in 10 Downing Street today wouldn't exactly inspire you with any confidence that he is going to fight any harder for nationalists in the north.
Did he visit Madam Tussauds  as well?
Having met the SF and DUP delegation the few days before he probably had enough of dummies with excess make up
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Applesisapples

Northern Nationalists need to be realistic in their expectations from a Southern Government. At the end of the day the UK Government(probably not through choice) is the sovereign authority in the North, Southern Governments have to be mindful of that and it limits there scope. Like most nationalists the Southern parties do not want to see a forced UI which results in loyalist violence. Before we criticise the south northern nationalists need to decide ourselves if we really want a UI and on what terms. How will it look and what guarantees will it give unionists. I want to see a UI but I do not want a reverse partition where a large swathe of the population are made to feel subservient as we were after partition. I am amazed at the difference in the 6 counties now compared to my childhood in the 60's and I firmly believe the next generation will achieve unity, but it must be fair and inclusive.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 20, 2017, 08:57:10 AM
Northern Nationalists need to be realistic in their expectations from a Southern Government. At the end of the day the UK Government(probably not through choice) is the sovereign authority in the North, Southern Governments have to be mindful of that and it limits there scope. Like most nationalists the Southern parties do not want to see a forced UI which results in loyalist violence. Before we criticise the south northern nationalists need to decide ourselves if we really want a UI and on what terms. How will it look and what guarantees will it give unionists. I want to see a UI but I do not want a reverse partition where a large swathe of the population are made to feel subservient as we were after partition. I am amazed at the difference in the 6 counties now compared to my childhood in the 60's and I firmly believe the next generation will achieve unity, but it must be fair and inclusive.

Surprising, unexpected and excellent post.

seafoid

I think a NI with a nationalist majority would be more likely to be decent simply because nationalists are the locals and don't have the persecution complex that goes with being the settlers.Anywhere that was colonised by outsiders the outsiders have problems.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on June 19, 2017, 11:48:04 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 19, 2017, 11:34:19 PM

Please explain how electricity and forestry have been signed away?
Iceland had an IMG programme also and it basically defaulted because it had no choice, with significant adverse consequences for its citizens.

Just a snippet...

http://www.thejournal.ie/government-to-reveal-which-state-assets-are-up-for-sale-362294-Feb2012/

Applesisapples

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 20, 2017, 01:32:02 PM
Why surprising, I try to be consistent except where taking the piss  :D

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 20, 2017, 03:00:56 PM

You must be extracting it brave and often!  :)

Applesisapples

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 20, 2017, 03:22:17 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 20, 2017, 03:00:56 PM

You must be extracting it brave and often!  :)
Only when its Tony