Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Another area I think we are lacking in other than midfield and 6 is a direct running wing forward who can chip in with scores.

Mattie Donnelly is a very unique type of footballer, he likes to slow the play down and then use his power and pace to shake people and he's very good at that but I think we need a strong running type player who is able to break the tackles. It's one thing I've noticed when we have come up against the likes of Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Donegal in Championship is that we have very few players who can break those tackles. We have generally had small, slight forwards so they don't really back themselves to take those tackles on. The likes of Stephen O'Brien for Kerry or Diarmuid O'Connor for Mayo stick out for me, those guys are able to get so many scores and win so many frees from their direct running. McKenna should certainly help this year if we get to play him at 11 but I think it's something we need more from.

Was Matthew Walsh involved in the trial games does anybody know?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on December 29, 2020, 01:05:43 PM
Another area I think we are lacking in other than midfield and 6 is a direct running wing forward who can chip in with scores.

Mattie Donnelly is a very unique type of footballer, he likes to slow the play down and then use his power and pace to shake people and he's very good at that but I think we need a strong running type player who is able to break the tackles. It's one thing I've noticed when we have come up against the likes of Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Donegal in Championship is that we have very few players who can break those tackles. We have generally had small, slight forwards so they don't really back themselves to take those tackles on. The likes of Stephen O'Brien for Kerry or Diarmuid O'Connor for Mayo stick out for me, those guys are able to get so many scores and win so many frees from their direct running. McKenna should certainly help this year if we get to play him at 11 but I think it's something we need more from.

Was Matthew Walsh involved in the trial games does anybody know?

I believe so but I know nothing more so assume that is that.

Angelo

I think we can all agree that the no 6 position is a problem one for us. If teams run at us direct through the middle they create goal chances and I think a solid 6 is what we lack, a player who is good positionally and will hold that area and command his teammates in that position. Since Gormley and the McMahons retired we have lacked a proper centre back that has those qualities, we have too many half backs who just like to bomb forward or get drawn to the ball or the carrier rather than holding the centre firm. We have had constant chopping and changing during that time too with different players tried out there. Brennan, McGeary and Michael O'Neill seemed to be the three players used there this year.

For me I think Brennan is probably our go to man marker now and I also think he likes to bomb on, he's good at taking the ball out of defence and getting up the pitch and taking a score. I think he has really developed into a key performer for Tyrone so I think he is best used in the corner or being assigned to track a dangerman. I see putting him at 6 as losing out of some of his main assets

McGeary and O'Neill are probably much more suited to playing at 6. A lot of people would have question marks over McGeary's discipline and probably right to do so though I would say he gets a very raw deal from referees. Thought O'Neill really impressed this year with his performances, he's a gritty performer and I felt we were notably more solid when he was in that defence this year. He does have some fitness issues though, seemed to pick up a lot of niggles and didn't finish many games he started so hopefully he can work on that this year. If Hampsey sorts out his fitness issues I'd like to see him given a solid run at 6. He's got the physical presence to fill out that role and I think he's better suited there than in the corner. He is probably the most likely man marker though for Tyrone if we have a real physical threat to deal with.

I think we also need far more defensively from our wing half backs too. The likes of McCann, Burns and McKernan lack a bit of discipline and constantly seem to get dragged into the ball or the runner and that's when gaps appear and free men start showing up. I'm happy with our full back line so if we can add a bit more defensive stability around the half back line then it gives us a real platform to allow our more attacking players to play higher up the pitch and express themselves. Michael Cassidy can hopefully remain fit as I think he is probably our best half back in the squad but seems to be consistently dealing with niggly injuries. If Munroe is back he could potentially force his way into the reckoning if he is still at the level he was when he dropped off.

It really is going to be an interesting year ahead and to see how differently or similarly Logan and Dooher view things to the previous management team

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 29, 2020, 01:05:31 PM
Had to get the ankle rebroken and reset. That was only in August wasn't it? He'll be doing well to be back at it in a week or two.

If that's the case we need to be very careful with him given what the pitches are like this time of year.

Probably best targeting him seeing some action toward the end of the league.

trailer

Any team that includes Kieran McGeary or Frank Burns cannot have serious aspirations to win football matches.

Gaafan2

Quote from: trailer on December 29, 2020, 02:24:13 PM
Any team that includes Kieran McGeary or Frank Burns cannot have serious aspirations to win football matches.

You really cant hide you hatred of the Plunketts ;D

Dire Ear

P Harte no6, McShane at 11 and Matty at 15,  Young Canavan as supersub
The rest is easy

God14

Morgan

Rafferty
McNamee
Brennan

Cassidy
Hampsey
Munroe

Kennedy
Kilpatrick

Mattie
McKenna
Harte

McShane
McNulty
McCurry

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Dire Ear on December 29, 2020, 07:39:38 PM
The rest is easy

Probably the only place he starts now?

PMG1

Sludden at 6 is superb, by far the best 6 in the county, great positional sense, can tackle with discipline and can carry the ball as good as anyone from there

NotedObserver

Feel they have to try him there or half back line. The amount of time Tyrone half backs make bad calls and I don't think he will make as many

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Dire Ear on December 29, 2020, 07:39:38 PM
The rest is easy
LoL ;D

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Angelo on December 29, 2020, 12:07:50 PM
Quote from: Moonshine on December 29, 2020, 06:59:46 AM
Quote from: Angelo on December 28, 2020, 09:27:55 PM
6 is a major issue for us as you can see. I'd probably play Hampsey there myself.

Obviously midfield is another major cause for concern.

Conor Quinn would have needed to do a lot of filling out to be ready for a starting spot next year.

I'd go for something like:

Morgan

Rafferty
McNamee
Brennan

Cassidy
Hampsey
O'Neill

Kennedy
R Donnelly

M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry

Harte
McShane
McAliskey

Mcaliskey ahead of caravan your having a laugh.

Canavan is a slight 20 year old who has played one Championship match. He's a huge talent but has it all to prove and an awful lot of physical development to make yet. I look forward to seeing how he gets on next year but we have to be careful how we manage him and the expectations.

I think McAliskey has a lot to offer if he comes back fit and hungry. Only McManus scored more overall than McAliskey in the 2018 All Ireland Championship and only Kilkenny scored more from play in the same Championship. It's good we have all these options but it's going to be difficult for Logan and Dooher to balance all these players and their hunger to play. If you look at the Donegal game back in November, you could potentially be adding McAliskey, L Brennan, McShane and Donaghy among others into that forward line so whoever has the jersey is going to have to perform.
1) Age is irrelevant.
2) His da was "slight" too, as was Gooch Cooper etc etc. Means nothing.

Angelo

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2020, 01:42:48 AM
6 is a major issue for us as you can see. I'd probably play Hampsey there myself.

Conor Quinn would have needed to do a lot of filling out to be ready for a starting spot next year.

Morgan

Rafferty
McNamee
Brennan

Cassidy
Hampsey
O'Neill

Kennedy
R Donnelly

M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry

Harte
McShane
McAliskey

Canavan is a slight 20 year old who has played one Championship match. He's a huge talent but has it all to prove and an awful lot of physical development to make yet. I look forward to seeing how he gets on next year but we have to be careful how we manage him and the expectations.

I think McAliskey has a lot to offer if he comes back fit and hungry. Only McManus scored more overall than McAliskey in the 2018 All Ireland Championship and only Kilkenny scored more from play in the same Championship. It's good we have all these options but it's going to be difficult for Logan and Dooher to balance all these players and their hunger to play. If you look at the Donegal game back in November, you could potentially be adding McAliskey, L Brennan, McShane and Donaghy among others into that forward line so whoever has the jersey is going to have to perform.
1) Age is irrelevant.

Age is relevant. Not too many counties with 20/21 year old s starting for them.

Size is very relevant. Look at the top counties now and tell us  how many players under 5ft10 line out for them now. The game has changed an awful lot over the past 20/30 years.

Canavan is a fantastic talent but he has it all to prove and we must be careful in our expectations and how we manage him. There's a lot of competition in his position now so he will need to be delivering to start and I think you are gone way overboard on a young talent who has only played one Championship game.

Guys like McCurry, McAliskey and Bradley have much more experience and physical development made at the minute and they are some of the players he will be fighting it out with.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Angelo on December 30, 2020, 09:53:28 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on December 30, 2020, 01:42:48 AM

Morgan

Rafferty
McNamee
Brennan

Cassidy
Hampsey
O'Neill

Kennedy
R Donnelly

M Donnelly
McKenna
McCurry

Harte
McShane
McAliskey

1) Age is irrelevant.

Age is relevant. Not too many counties with 20/21 year old s starting for them.

Size is very relevant. Look at the top counties now and tell us  how many players under 5ft10 line out for them now. The game has changed an awful lot over the past 20/30 years.

Canavan is a fantastic talent but he has it all to prove and we must be careful in our expectations and how we manage him. There's a lot of competition in his position now so he will need to be delivering to start and I think you are gone way overboard on a young talent who has only played one Championship game.

Guys like McCurry, McAliskey and Bradley have much more experience and physical development made at the minute and they are some of the players he will be fighting it out with.
No it isn't. If you're good enough, you're old enough, it's that simple.  Doesn't matter what age or height you are.
If he performs, then he should play.