Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Dag Dog on April 16, 2024, 10:55:18 AM"Hurling referees have been advised to be mindful of players ducking into tackles in an attempt to win frees. Examples of recent league games were provided to officials of decisions going in favour of those who were simulating the fouls.

Across both codes, referees have been given the following checklist to factor in when considering to send off a player for a head-high tackle: if a contact is made to opponent's head, if the opponent has no opportunity to protect himself, if contact/impact is excessive or causes injury, if the elbow/forearm/shoulder is part of the contact, if the player making contact jumps or has been two feet off the ground, if the player making contact had a realistic alternative by way of challenging opponent and to the direction and distance covered by the player who makes contact."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41375074.html

It's going like rugby that players must have a 'duty of care' to other players in the tackle.

That's a good thing in my opinion. Anything hit around the head is dangerous.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on April 16, 2024, 12:22:51 PM
Quote from: Dag Dog on April 16, 2024, 10:55:18 AM"Hurling referees have been advised to be mindful of players ducking into tackles in an attempt to win frees. Examples of recent league games were provided to officials of decisions going in favour of those who were simulating the fouls.

Across both codes, referees have been given the following checklist to factor in when considering to send off a player for a head-high tackle: if a contact is made to opponent's head, if the opponent has no opportunity to protect himself, if contact/impact is excessive or causes injury, if the elbow/forearm/shoulder is part of the contact, if the player making contact jumps or has been two feet off the ground, if the player making contact had a realistic alternative by way of challenging opponent and to the direction and distance covered by the player who makes contact."

It's going like rugby that players must have a 'duty of care' to other players in the tackle.

You'll be looking for mitigating circumstances etc etc as well now  ;D

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on April 16, 2024, 02:30:03 PM

Maybe a TMO JC?  :)

Milltown Row2

Been saying this for a while now, players have a duty of care, granted and currently there are pitches out there that do not lend themselves to preventing lads sliding in or slipping underfoot that may cause 'accidental' albeit fouls still, but applying common sense  ;)  should help
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 17, 2024, 09:07:53 AM

Been saying this for a while now, players have a duty of care, granted and currently there are pitches out there that do not lend themselves to preventing lads sliding in or slipping underfoot that may cause 'accidental' albeit fouls still, but applying common sense  ;)  should help

From your experience if someone has the ball and is faced with a defender standing with their arms and hurl out, player in possession of the ball dips down and the arm/hurl of the defender is now around their neck and head, do you give them the foul or do you play on?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on April 17, 2024, 10:53:52 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 17, 2024, 09:07:53 AM

From your experience if someone has the ball and is faced with a defender standing with their arms and hurl out, player in possession of the ball dips down and the arm/hurl of the defender is now around their neck and head, do you give them the foul or do you play on?

It really depends on how I feel that particular incident happens, while I'm not or should be judgmental of certain players but having been around the block as a player and ref for so many years I think I'm a good judge on intent, accident, looking for a free or basically someone being stronger and preventing someone from getting by .

Thats my call, only one whistle and I've got use my experience on it. Fine lines though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Shane O'Donnell and Adam Hogan great at 'winning' frees this way.  Raising their hands high in the tackle and the ref. gives them a free.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on April 17, 2024, 12:28:48 PMShane O'Donnell and Adam Hogan great at 'winning' frees this way.  Raising their hands high in the tackle and the ref. gives them a free.

Some players, two in particular in Antrim play in a forceful forward combative way that try's to draw frees, they ain't charging but I can see how a ref may feel player is being infringed, but that's their style. Play on for me