The Official Daddies Club

Started by Under Lights, July 09, 2014, 09:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: galwayman on July 16, 2019, 01:13:58 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 16, 2019, 11:58:51 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 16, 2019, 11:16:37 AM
Cheers for all the advice. I honestly haven't a clue what to do with babies. Never been around them much at all. The first two months sound frightening now that it's up here in front of me.
You'll be grand. Having only 1 to look after is easy enough, it's when the 2nd and 3rd come along the shit really hits the fan...
Agreed. It was only when our second came along that I realised I had more time than I thought when we had just the one.
I can't imagine what it's like when you have more than 2 smallies.
I actually found the opposite! Well more so when the 2nd one got to 18 months and up. The two wanes would keep one another company, and the two adults could actually get 10 mins to chill out. When it was one child they need constant attention. Now 3 is a whole different ball game!

Don Johnson

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 16, 2019, 01:56:34 PM
My tip is to get the missus to feed the wain and you sleep in the spare room.

That was our agreement when I was working the next day and she was on maternity. Only fair really. Then I took over the nights when I was off the next day.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Don Johnson on July 16, 2019, 04:25:44 PM

That was our agreement when I was working the next day and she was on maternity. Only fair really. Then I took over the nights when I was off the next day.

Same here. The Mrs breastfeeding is the best job as you can't do it even if you wanted to.
That was never a square ball!!

trailer

With both of ours she fed them, some job. No bottles in the middle of the night. I just slept blissfully unaware.
Kids are deadly expect all those times when they re not. But mostly deadly.

omaghjoe

Do your Mrs a favour tho and make sure she has a proper breakfast waiting for her when she wakes up.

Milltown Row2

I found nightshift work was the best solution, came home from hard nights work (possibly slept 4 hours if it) and went to bed!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dahmer

Also going be be joining the club God willing in October.

Hoping the wife will be breastfeeding but we know that's not always possible. Seen quite a few people recommend the Tommee Tippee prep machine on here. Had a juke on amazon there and came across the one below. Is this the one folk would recommend or is there another model made by Tommee Tippee that's better? I'm clueless with all this so any help is appreciated.

Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep Machine, White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BG6304A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wwMlDbEVS4Z8X

north aontroim gael

Quote from: Dahmer on July 17, 2019, 01:21:38 AM

Hoping the wife will be breastfeeding but we know that's not always possible. Seen quite a few people recommend the Tommee Tippee prep machine on here. Had a juke on amazon there and came across the one below. Is this the one folk would recommend or is there another model made by Tommee Tippee that's better? I'm clueless with all this so any help is appreciated.

Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep Machine, White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BG6304A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wwMlDbEVS4Z8X

Yes, that's the one you're after.

MoChara

That's the one I have, I've never made bottles the old school way but I can only imagine how much extra a pain in the hole it would be without the machine, Bottle ready to rock in about 2 minutes.

DickyRock

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 16, 2019, 01:59:25 PM
;D if only.

Best way. Bottles a nightmare for lads. Wife breastfed our 3 and I had an easy (easier) life.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: MoChara on July 17, 2019, 08:01:44 AM

That's the one I have, I've never made bottles the old school way but I can only imagine how much extra a pain in the hole it would be without the machine, Bottle ready to rock in about 2 minutes.

best 70 quid you'll ever spend
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 16, 2019, 11:16:37 AM
Cheers for all the advice. I honestly haven't a clue what to do with babies. Never been around them much at all. The first two months sound frightening now that it's up here in front of me.

Was daunting for me too, but once you get underway it's not that bad.

My wife breastfeeds our 5-month old daughter, has fed her nothing else. She went back to work a few weeks ago and pumps throughout the day, bringing milk home.

I've inadvertently become the milk monitor. I make up the bottles at night and get her clean pumping bottles ready. The next day I make sure she has everything before she goes to work. We have a morning checklist on the wall and I make her go through it, making sure she has everything from her phone [she's notorious for forgetting her phone] to her work badge, the pumping bottles, everything. I pack the pumped milk in the cool bag and drop the wee one off at daycare. Occasionally the missus drops her off, but it's more convenient for me since our daycare is only a few blocks from my work.

We're quite lucky in that our daughter started sleeping through the night after she was about a month or two old. I think the breastfeeding had a lot to do with it, and we're quite rigid in our routine. As soon as the clock strikes 7:30pm I get the bath ready and bathe her, the wife feeds her on the boob for a top-up before bedtime, then we shut her in her room and she usually goes to sleep fairly quickly. In the beginning we let her cry it out for about ten minutes before deciding there was something actually wrong with her (usually still hungry) and feed her again before putting her down again.

At first we were writing everything down and recording exactly when she ate, peed and pooped, but eventually you develop an instinct for it. The daycare people are very good about documenting all her activities, so when we pick her up we know exactly when to feed her and how likely it is she needs changed.

Can you get nappy service where you are? We have diaper service here and it's a godsend. We were doing cloth diapers at first but the company lost their lease on the cleaning facility (probably overwhelming the city's sewer system) so now we do compostables. But it's very handy having the soiled ones picked up and the clean ones dropped off at our door. Shame about the cloth diapers being discontinued, they say it makes toilet training easier when that time comes.

But as I say, it seems like a lot to remember at first but you soon get the hang of it. Just take one task at a time. Best of luck!

omaghjoe

Finally got round to it Eamonn eh ;-)
Well done

Thon pumping is no craic...... not sure if it is a thing at home so much as women can get the full year and/or the breast feeding is quite as big o thing as in the states.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 17, 2019, 09:02:56 PM
Finally got round to it Eamonn eh ;-)
Well done

Thon pumping is no craic...... not sure if it is a thing at home so much as women can get the full year and/or the breast feeding is quite as big o thing as in the states.

Ha! Better late than never, Joe!