Full time professional referees

Started by BennyHarp, July 26, 2018, 10:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Referees already get lots of abuse from both players and spectators. This must discourage a lot of people from becoming referees or continuing as referees. Changing the culture around how refs are treated would probably go further in encouraging a bigger pool of refs and raise standards.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: dec on July 27, 2018, 07:51:03 PM
Referees already get lots of abuse from both players and spectators. This must discourage a lot of people from becoming referees or continuing as referees. Changing the culture around how refs are treated would probably go further in encouraging a bigger pool of refs and raise standards.

Maybe, but how do you change a culture? It's all right printing jerseys with slogans on them like "give respect, get respect," but if a coach has spent his career screaming abuse from the sideline then I couldn't see him responding too much to anything short of a yellow card.

I once saw a ref moving the ball up for every bit of dissent he got from the players, but not all refs do that. A bit of consistency might help

dec

A few days ago there was an article in the New York Times about the abuse the referees in youth sports get. A soccer referee created a Facebook page where he posts videos of parents/coaches/spectators abusing refs in the hope that shaming might make people think twice

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/18/sports/referee-parents-abuse-videos.html

"The harassment has grown so rampant that more than 70 percent of new referees in all sports quit the job within three years, according to the National Association of Sports Officials. The chief cause for the attrition, based on a survey conducted by the association, was pervasive abuse from parents and coaches."

I don't know if 70% of new GAA refs quit within 3 years or if people just never bother being refs because they know what the abuse is like.

Eamonnca1

When I was organizing college hurling matches I once had someone (a screamer from the sideline) give out to me by email about reffing. I replied and said if reffing standards are low, it's partly because of a limited number of people willing to do the job. The low number of people willing to do the job is because of the amount of abuse they get. If you scream abuse at the ref, then you're contributing to the problem.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Many referees are semi-professional as it is. One could referee a game seven days a week and at least two on Saturdays and Sundays. Clearing the guts of £300 a week tax free. And that's at the very bottom rung of the ladder. Heard a story once about a referee looking £1K for himself and his team to officiate at a colleges' game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on July 27, 2018, 09:24:28 PM
Many referees are semi-professional as it is. One could referee a game seven days a week and at least two on Saturdays and Sundays. Clearing the guts of £300 a week tax free. And that's at the very bottom rung of the ladder. Heard a story once about a referee looking £1K for himself and his team to officiate at a colleges' game.

Think you heard wrong, referees get expenses.. they don't get paid to hear someone abuse them for 1 hour and then confront you as you head towards the changing room, they don't get paid to take abuse from players or management.. they don't get paid to then take further abuse from trolls on discussion boards who believe they know the rules better than the referees (at county level the pass mark is very high)

As for the 1k for a team of officials I'd like to hear more on that? Is that for hotels, dinners and travel expenses? (From Spain) think you're making that one up to suit your pathetic post
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Insane Bolt

They could stamp out the verbal abuse very easily by adopting the same rule as rugby......only the captain can question a decision. This is a very simple thing to do, but HQ are very slow/reluctant to evolve.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Insane Bolt on July 28, 2018, 08:34:30 AM
They could stamp out the verbal abuse very easily by adopting the same rule as rugby......only the captain can question a decision. This is a very simple thing to do, but HQ are very slow/reluctant to evolve.

In football if a referee gets verbal abuse he can black card the player, it's up to the ref to use it, hell he can even red card him, I don't take abuse from a player, why should I ?

I make mistakes, no ref gets it right all the time, why supporters/players/managers think they should call all the things they want is beyond me
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

playwiththewind1st

Most of the idiots who sound off about referees wouldn't recognise a rulebook if it was put in front of their noses. They have never seen one before, but I guess that's  why they're  such "experts".

Fear ón Srath Bán

You don't have to be any expert on the rules to see when a referee is totally out of shape, and incapable of keeping up with the play.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

playwiththewind1st

Believe it, or not, when you're out assessing refereeing performances, you are not permitted to refer to fitness levels in your report, nor to comment on a referee's ability to "keep up with the play".

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on July 28, 2018, 01:01:24 PM
Believe it, or not, when you're out assessing refereeing performances, you are not permitted to refer to fitness levels in your report, nor to comment on a referee's ability to "keep up with the play".

Wow! Is that not a (massive) part of the problem, right there?

I know that referees must do annual personal fitness tests, etc., but surely their respective abilities to keep up with the play, or not, must be critical aspect of match fitness?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 28, 2018, 01:14:36 PM

I know that referees must do annual personal fitness tests, etc., but surely their respective abilities to keep up with the play, or not, must be critical aspect of match fitness?

He's up with play better than the supporter hanging over the fence a further 60 yards from the referee but that guy calls it! You are what's the problem is..

Funny enough today we had our rules tests, was chatting to the coordinator and he was asked to go to a club by a manager to talk about refereeing issues the players and managers had, some mentors and clubmen also, very positive talk and near the end couple lads started questioning about certain rules, the referee set down a few question papers multiple choice, so even the answer was there, yes no true or false and far easier than hours, 30 questions, the best score was 6

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2018, 02:14:29 PM

He's up with play better than the supporter hanging over the fence a further 60 yards from the referee but that guy calls it! You are what's the problem is..

No need to be so defensive, and what you're saying there is not necessarily true -- if I'm beside the sideline of the ground and the play is on the sideline, and the man-in-the-middle is, erm, in the middle, he's most definitely not better placed -- blind sided and clueless.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 28, 2018, 02:25:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2018, 02:14:29 PM

No need to be so defensive, and what you're saying there is not necessarily true -- if I'm beside the sideline of the ground and the play is on the sideline, and the man-in-the-middle is, erm, in the middle, he's most definitely not better placed -- blind sided and clueless.

So if you are closer to the play and you see it better as you are there, then of course you are closer, that was not in my post!! I said if I'm 60 yards closer to the clampit on the sideline then I should see it better, no? In most of a game, I'll be closer to the play that a supporter who stays in the one place, agree?

You havent addressed my other point on the muppets who think thye know the rules and when questioned on them knew nothing really, a referee has to call that in seconds, he doesnt get to sit down and study a rule book there and then, he gets it wrong sometimes, just like the player who shoots when he should have passed, or teh manager who takes of a player in corner forward when the problem is in midfield