Should Tyrone speak to RTE

Started by CD, August 20, 2018, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: Maiden1 on August 23, 2018, 10:04:41 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 23, 2018, 09:56:43 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on August 23, 2018, 08:21:10 PM
I just listening to the Tyrone sketch again and I am not 100% sure if it was mean't to be any more than a dig at Harte for getting involved in the Brian Carthy dispute.  The sketch itself seemed half rehearsed.

Could the writers have came in that morning looking for something topical for the 9am show and been told to put something together taking the p1ss out of Mickey for his letter putting conditions on RTE before he would speak to them.

Play a feature on Tyrones tourist attractions (it'll be short)
Song (Pretty little girl from Omagh)

The script writers would probably have been sitting round a table at 8am trying to think of a song related to Tyrone and someone said 'Pretty little girl from Omagh?' and without anyone engaging there brain properly said yeah that will do.  It was obviously incredibly insensitive but I'd be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was more stupid than sinister.

Thats fine, most people agree (and it seems Mickey did too) but what about the Dali Lama reference...?
Similar.  Taking the p1ss out of Mickey for being a 'Holy Joe' without thinking through why Mickey felt the need to see the Dali Lama.
I find that impossible to believe, No.1 it was well publicised that Mickey and John McAreavey went to the Dali Lama's seminar on forgiveness. Anyone who knew he went to see the Dali Lama knew why he was there!

And No.2 I don't think that the Dali Lama would be the first way youd think to poke fun at Mickey Harte's faith... it would Lough Derg or a daily rosary or something.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Maiden1 on August 23, 2018, 10:04:41 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 23, 2018, 09:56:43 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on August 23, 2018, 08:21:10 PM
I just listening to the Tyrone sketch again and I am not 100% sure if it was mean't to be any more than a dig at Harte for getting involved in the Brian Carthy dispute.  The sketch itself seemed half rehearsed.

Could the writers have came in that morning looking for something topical for the 9am show and been told to put something together taking the p1ss out of Mickey for his letter putting conditions on RTE before he would speak to them.

Play a feature on Tyrones tourist attractions (it'll be short)
Song (Pretty little girl from Omagh)

The script writers would probably have been sitting round a table at 8am trying to think of a song related to Tyrone and someone said 'Pretty little girl from Omagh?' and without anyone engaging there brain properly said yeah that will do.  It was obviously incredibly insensitive but I'd be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was more stupid than sinister.

Thats fine, most people agree (and it seems Mickey did too) but what about the Dali Lama reference...?
Similar.  Taking the p1ss out of Mickey for being a 'Holy Joe' without thinking through why Mickey felt the need to see the Dali Lama.

It's not good enough that it "wasn't thought through"!! It's the national broadcaster ffs, about a man who had just lost his daughter in the most horrific way a few short months previously. These people should have a duty to think these feckin things through. It wouldn't have taken much thought, there's isn't a person in the country around that time who wouldn't immediately think of what happened to Michaela when Mickey Harte's name was mentioned. Wtf is wrong with people?
That was never a square ball!!

sid waddell

Should Tyrone lose, or especially if they win, I'd love to see the Apres Match boys do a "virtual banquet" complete with whissshhhtly Ulsssshhhter accents, like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjEkjeVzL34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOjXUCM9K04

Properly rip the piss out them. RTE might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb.

Nooooyyyyy.

omaghjoe

... may as well be doin it on Dublin with accents like that

BennyHarp

Quote from: sid waddell on August 23, 2018, 10:32:00 PM
Should Tyrone lose, or especially if they win, I'd love to see the Apres Match boys do a "virtual banquet" complete with whissshhhtly Ulsssshhhter accents, like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjEkjeVzL34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOjXUCM9K04

Properly rip the piss out them. RTE might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb.

Nooooyyyyy.

If Tyrone win there won't be a person in the county who would give one tiny fcuk what RTE might do. They'd be better leaving it to the normal Sunday Game panel anyway as footage of them trying to make sense of it all would be much funnier than anything the Apres Match lads could come up with.
That was never a square ball!!

sid waddell

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 23, 2018, 10:36:53 PM
The Apres Match boys absolutely nail the Ulster accent.

They also insert just the right tone of dour religious fundamentalist defensiveness into it.

I occasionally read some posts by dour, humourless Ulster contributors to this forum in my mind with such an accent.

I won't name names, though.

Franko

Quote from: sid waddell on August 23, 2018, 10:47:29 PM

They also insert just the right tone of dour religious fundamentalist defensiveness into it.

I occasionally read some posts by dour, humourless Ulster contributors to this forum in my mind with such an accent.

What's an 'Ulster' accent?  I've never heard one.

sid waddell

Quote from: Franko on August 23, 2018, 10:54:41 PM

As far as the rest of Ireland is concerned, the sicheeeayshun is that all Ulster people have the same accent, and all those who speak with it are equally unintelligible.

Aye.

omaghjoe

Quote from: sid waddell on August 23, 2018, 11:14:11 PM

As far as the rest of Ireland is concerned, the sicheeeayshun is that all Ulster people have the same accent, and all those who speak with it are equally unintelligible.

Aye.

Naw the skangers think the rest of Ireland all sound the same

Franko

Quote from: sid waddell on August 23, 2018, 11:14:11 PM

Aye.

I'd venture that anyone who couldn't distinguish between an Antrim, Armagh, Monaghan or Donegal accent could be described as a little moronic.  But don't worry, you're not alone.  According to your spokesperson, there's 4-odd million of you who are equally unintelligent.

Rossfan

Anyone who thinks there's one accent in Donegal  (or Armagh) hasn't got out much. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

Is it Derry? Or Belfast? Or Cavan? Or West Tyrone/Donegal? Maybe its the south Armagh/Dundalk accent they mean?

Franko

Quote from: Rossfan on August 24, 2018, 12:05:22 AM
Anyone who thinks there's one accent in Donegal  (or Armagh) hasn't got out much. ;)

Could you point out anyone that thinks this?  Apart from Sid and everyone in Leinster, Connacht and Munster, that is.

You didn't really think this one through, did you?

RedHand88

Quote from: rrhf on August 23, 2018, 03:03:22 PM
I would do a much bigger deal with sky or ppv increasing potential access and revenue give tg4 the magazine programmes clubs and ladies as a product and
Let them develop that.. there could be a strong arguement made that tg4 could cover delayed games in Irish commentary and that mightn't annoy sky too much as well. With more money I would reduce ticket prices to those who go to games so attendances will increase and if they want only give rte the banquet, up for the match and the Marty squad and the odd late late tribute show to the gaa on the consortium that pat kenny hosts it.let's Move on. Get a proper platform of magazine coverage through sky but for sky to flourish rte probably need to be cut out.

Michael Duignan disapproves of this post.

From the Bunker

Quote from: rrhf on August 23, 2018, 03:03:22 PM
I would do a much bigger deal with sky or ppv increasing potential access and revenue give tg4 the magazine programmes clubs and ladies as a product and
Let them develop that.. there could be a strong arguement made that tg4 could cover delayed games in Irish commentary and that mightn't annoy sky too much as well. With more money I would reduce ticket prices to those who go to games so attendances will increase and if they want only give rte the banquet, up for the match and the Marty squad and the odd late late tribute show to the gaa on the consortium that pat kenny hosts it.let's Move on. Get a proper platform of magazine coverage through sky but for sky to flourish rte probably need to be cut out.

Only problem is the 'Product' you are looking at promoting is MUCK!