Should Tyrone speak to RTE

Started by CD, August 20, 2018, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: yellowcard on August 21, 2018, 12:18:57 PM
Mickey Harte has every right to feel aggrieved but he does appear to be an incredibly stubborn man who does not forget. i seem to vaguely remember from reading his book how he fell out with his own club and then helped set up a rival team because of it. So he was never likely to back down on this boycott and I don't expect that he ever will. It was very insensitive at the time and who could really blame him.

However it is a very personal issue to him and I don't think that he should be dictating Tyrone GAA's policy on media access. Surely that is down to the county board to set the agenda and not Mickey Harte.

The unfortunate problem around ballygawley and the split go way beyond Mickey Harte.

joemamas

Quote from: BennyCake on August 21, 2018, 12:18:16 AM
Quote from: thejuice on August 20, 2018, 10:35:03 PM
I don't recall the sketch while I don't particularly care to listen to it, I don't think Mickey is obliged to to speak to RTE and considering that they haven't shown Marty Morrissey the gate just goes to show what a joke the organization really is. He loses nothing by it. They do. There are other media avenues nowadays.

As for MH and his faith, well I stand by him in that regard too though my beliefs are probably different to his. I might be getting this wrong but for Catholics and Christians generally you are not implored to forgive those who show no contrition. In the scripture that is fairly consistent with a few exceptions.

What's the problem with Marty?

Surely you jest.

I would argue that his pre prepared crap, took away from the Limerick victory on Sunday. at the final whistle, he just could have shut up and let the cameras and crowd celebrating run its course. A picture tells a thousand words ....

Sometimes I feel like the powers to be are having a good laugh with the quality of product they present for the GAA.
Especially commentary and co- commentary.

If they really were serious about the GAA product and wanted to go with their A game, then Darragh Moloney would be commentating on the semi-finals and finals of both codes full stop. I would also let him choose somebody he would like to provide color commentary, not the usual suspects.

RedHand88

I don't recall the sketch while I don't particularly care to listen to it, I don't think Mickey is obliged to to speak to RTE and considering that they haven't shown Marty Morrissey the gate just goes to show what a joke the organization really is. He loses nothing by it. They do. There are other media avenues nowadays.

As for MH and his faith, well I stand by him in that regard too though my beliefs are probably different to his. I might be getting this wrong but for Catholics and Christians generally you are not implored to forgive those who show no contrition. In the scripture that is fairly consistent with a few exceptions.

"Do you have to, do you have to, do you have to let it linger"

Yes I get the reference and the link but really???

Christmas Lights

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 21, 2018, 01:42:50 PM

You're joking me right?  Where people upset about that? 

Jayop

You just know it'll be Marty and Dolan. Horrible to listen to both of them.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2018, 04:19:13 PM
Quote from: lenny on August 20, 2018, 04:16:57 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2018, 03:41:16 PM
It was well out of order. At worst, it was a calculated insult because Mickey Harte had clashed with RTE before. At best, it was inconsiderate, and ignorant of the circumstances.

RTE should have apologised for it, in a real way, rather than the 'if you took offense we're sooooo soooorrrry'.

They did apologise, what do you want? The dj in question sacked? That's obviously what harte wanted or carthy installed as big game commentator. It was one person on rte who was insensitive towards the harte family but of course he holds a vendetta against the whole company.

Their apology, unless I'm mistaken, was 'If you were offended, we're sorry you were offended'. That's not an apology, that's weasel stuff.
Don't think it was as weak as stated. They stated they recognised it was offensive to him and thus sincerely regret any offence caused. Some people I think the second part (i.e. any offence caused) which on its own is very weak, but when read in full, I think it's a full apology. Of course, totally up to Mickey whether to accept or not.
No question the presenter was very badly at fault, but maybe holding a grudge against RTE so long is a bit much. It's not like the presenter was told by RTE to do it.

Apology in full:

RTÉ Radio 1′s John Murray Show presents, each morning, a satirical and humorous synopsis of the day's big news stories. On June 9 the programme covered a widely reported controversy involving Mickey Harte.

RTÉ understands and appreciates that the item offended Mr Harte. It is never RTÉ's intention to knowingly offend any individual, and RTÉ sincerely regrets any offence caused. This sincere regret was immediately and personally communicated to Mr Harte by RTÉ management.

RTÉ wishes to clarify that it did not leak the contents of the letter referred to in today's statement by the Tyrone GAA Senior Football Management and Players. RTÉ treated the correspondence as private and confidential, and was mindful of the need for discretion in all public statements it was called upon to make.

It is RTÉ's hope that, in the public interest of all those who follow gaelic games, the matter can be resolved.

Jayop

On its own I wouldn't suspect it was an intentional stroke by Rte but along with years of other personal attacks on people from the county by them over and above any critique I've heard any other county get I'm not convinced it was just down to the dj and not some higher up trying to put manners on Harte. I wouldn't put it past them for a second.

RedHand88

Quote from: Christmas Lights on August 21, 2018, 01:45:15 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 21, 2018, 01:42:50 PM

You're joking me right?  Where people upset about that?

Not upset no. Its just cringe 

CD

Quote from: Hound on August 21, 2018, 02:00:33 PM
It was well out of order. At worst, it was a calculated insult because Mickey Harte had clashed with RTE before. At best, it was inconsiderate, and ignorant of the circumstances.

RTE should have apologised for it, in a real way, rather than the 'if you took offense we're sooooo soooorrrry'.

They did apologise, what do you want? The dj in question sacked? That's obviously what harte wanted or carthy installed as big game commentator. It was one person on rte who was insensitive towards the harte family but of course he holds a vendetta against the whole company.

Their apology, unless I'm mistaken, was 'If you were offended, we're sorry you were offended'. That's not an apology, that's weasel stuff.
Don't think it was as weak as stated. They stated they recognised it was offensive to him and thus sincerely regret any offence caused. Some people I think the second part (i.e. any offence caused) which on its own is very weak, but when read in full, I think it's a full apology. Of course, totally up to Mickey whether to accept or not.
No question the presenter was very badly at fault, but maybe holding a grudge against RTE so long is a bit much. It's not like the presenter was told by RTE to do it.

Apology in full:

RTÉ Radio 1′s John Murray Show presents, each morning, a satirical and humorous synopsis of the day's big news stories. On June 9 the programme covered a widely reported controversy involving Mickey Harte.

RTÉ understands and appreciates that the item offended Mr Harte. It is never RTÉ's intention to knowingly offend any individual, and RTÉ sincerely regrets any offence caused. This sincere regret was immediately and personally communicated to Mr Harte by RTÉ management.

RTÉ wishes to clarify that it did not leak the contents of the letter referred to in today's statement by the Tyrone GAA Senior Football Management and Players. RTÉ treated the correspondence as private and confidential, and was mindful of the need for discretion in all public statements it was called upon to make.

It is RTÉ's hope that, in the public interest of all those who follow gaelic games, the matter can be resolved.
They regret that  Mickey Harte found it offensive, not that it happened. Typical weasel faced ass pr and marketing department guff.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Hound

Quote from: Jayop on August 21, 2018, 02:07:25 PM
On its own I wouldn't suspect it was an intentional stroke by Rte but along with years of other personal attacks on people from the county by them over and above any critique I've heard any other county get I'm not convinced it was just down to the dj and not some higher up trying to put manners on Harte. I wouldn't put it past them for a second.
You seriously think there's someone high up in RTE who constantly reminds presenters, analysts, commentators, etc - "Make sure to have a go at the Tyrone lads again" ?

Everyone Tyronie remembers when Spillane made the puke football comment, but very few remember all the times since when he's praised Tyrone. And also don't seem to notice Cavan, Cork, Donegal, Kildare, Roscommon, etc. getting criticised.

Jinxy

Quote from: CD on August 21, 2018, 02:40:34 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 21, 2018, 02:00:33 PM

Apology in full:

They regret that  Mickey Harte found it offensive, not that it happened. Typical weasel faced ass pr and marketing department guff.

Yep.
No acknowledgement that the piece itself was in incredibly poor taste.
Either apologise properly or don't apologise at all.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

RedHand88

Quote from: Hound on August 21, 2018, 02:45:08 PM
You seriously think there's someone high up in RTE who constantly reminds presenters, analysts, commentators, etc - "Make sure to have a go at the Tyrone lads again" ?

Everyone Tyronie remembers when Spillane made the puke football comment, but very few remember all the times since when he's praised Tyrone. And also don't seem to notice Cavan, Cork, Donegal, Kildare, Roscommon, etc. getting criticised.

I don't think the phrase "it's beginning to follow them round like a bad smell" was ever used for those other counties.

Sure even when Galway reverted to a defensive style this year we were told by a senior RTE analyst it's because one of the back from staff is from Tyrone!

Another senior RTE pundit referred to a defensive Mickey Harte style of play the week Tyrone racked up 3-20 and 4-24.

Honestly I hate a silly conspiracy theory more than anyone but RTEs attitude to Tyrone borders on ridiculous.

BennyCake

Quote from: joemamas on August 21, 2018, 01:29:39 PM

Surely you jest.

I would argue that his pre prepared crap, took away from the Limerick victory on Sunday. at the final whistle, he just could have shut up and let the cameras and crowd celebrating run its course. A picture tells a thousand words ....

Sometimes I feel like the powers to be are having a good laugh with the quality of product they present for the GAA.
Especially commentary and co- commentary.

If they really were serious about the GAA product and wanted to go with their A game, then Darragh Moloney would be commentating on the semi-finals and finals of both codes full stop. I would also let him choose somebody he would like to provide color commentary, not the usual suspects.

Aye, the Linger line was cringeworthy alright. But generally, Marty is dead on.

As for commentators never shutting up. I wish they'd do that more during play as well. There's no need to continually talk. JUst let the picture speak for itself.

seafoid

I also wonder how many Tyrone people would regularly watch RTE anyway.
Presumably once Mickey retires normal service will be resumed. It was similar with General Franco.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jayop

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 21, 2018, 03:10:44 PM

I don't think the phrase "it's beginning to follow them round like a bad smell" was ever used for those other counties.

Sure even when Galway reverted to a defensive style this year we were told by a senior RTE analyst it's because one of the back from staff is from Tyrone!

Another senior RTE pundit referred to a defensive Mickey Harte style of play the week Tyrone racked up 4-24 in Croke park.

Honestly I hate a silly conspiracy theory more than anyone but RTEs attitude to Tyrone borders on ridiculous.

Bad smell
Puke football
Less than a man
Bringing the game into disrepute

When one other country has the likes of that said about them year after year then I'll start to believe that there's not a vendetta.