Should Tyrone speak to RTE

Started by CD, August 20, 2018, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

I don't recall the sketch while I don't particularly care to listen to it, I don't think Mickey is obliged to to speak to RTE and considering that they haven't shown Marty Morrissey the gate just goes to show what a joke the organization really is. He loses nothing by it. They do. There are other media avenues nowadays.

As for MH and his faith, well I stand by him in that regard too though my beliefs are probably different to his. I might be getting this wrong but for Catholics and Christians generally you are not implored to forgive those who show no contrition. In the scripture that is fairly consistent with a few exceptions.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

trueblue1234

Quote from: bigtogs on August 20, 2018, 10:33:46 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 20, 2018, 10:30:38 PM
Quote from: bigtogs on August 20, 2018, 10:13:18 PM
Mickey Harte should never be forced to deal with Rte..... But as a county we should be cutting some deal with RTE, all off this looks bad on our County and looks like Mickey is dictating to all in around on the incident whether he is or not... 13 DAYS before an all Ireland final we should be talking about football not this....
As a county I would hope we would back our own manager in a dispute where he was the victim of a personal vindictive media attack rather than bowing down to make it easy for RTE. And there's plenty of neutral people who agree with MH on this. Your anti Harte agenda has been clear on here for a long time so I'm not surprised to see you twist this to try and make Harte look like the bad guy. No doubt you'll be cheering Dublin on come September like you cheered for Meath.

There are plenty who disagree as well.... I cheered Meath???? wise up man ffs....

Apologies I though you were "The big dog"
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

bigtogs

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 20, 2018, 10:37:41 PM
Mickey Harte should never be forced to deal with Rte..... But as a county we should be cutting some deal with RTE, all off this looks bad on our County and looks like Mickey is dictating to all in around on the incident whether he is or not... 13 DAYS before an all Ireland final we should be talking about football not this....
As a county I would hope we would back our own manager in a dispute where he was the victim of a personal vindictive media attack rather than bowing down to make it easy for RTE. And there's plenty of neutral people who agree with MH on this. Your anti Harte agenda has been clear on here for a long time so I'm not surprised to see you twist this to try and make Harte look like the bad guy. No doubt you'll be cheering Dublin on come September like you cheered for Meath.

There are plenty who disagree as well.... I cheered Meath???? wise up man ffs....

No problem......

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on August 20, 2018, 09:50:20 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on August 20, 2018, 05:22:26 PM
it was 7 f**king years ago get over it Mickey,
WTF is wrong with people on this board!
That "sketch" came 7 months after his daughter was brutally murdered on her honeymoon. He and his family were in the depths of grief when this was broadcast to the nation. For me, that is something that any man would struggle to "get over" in his lifetime never mind in "7 f**king years".
You are some ignorant pup.

The point being that RTÉ had huge coverage of Michaela's death, and not by the sports department. It wasn't that anyone wasn't aware of the situation.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

southtyronegael

lmfao! this place gets better and better. love it. big togs and big dogs. where would u get it?lol. trueblue in that big of a rush to defend harte he not sure anymore who he replying to.

trueblue1234

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 20, 2018, 10:43:08 PM

lmfao! this place gets better and better. love it. big togs and big dogs. where would u get it?lol. trueblue in that big of a rush to defend harte he not sure anymore who he replying to.
When it comes to you, I'm definitely not sure which I'm dealing with.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Main Street

Quote from: hardstation on August 20, 2018, 09:50:20 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on August 20, 2018, 05:22:26 PM
it was 7 f**king years ago get over it Mickey,
WTF is wrong with people on this board!
That "sketch" came 7 months after his daughter was brutally murdered on her honeymoon. He and his family were in the depths of grief when this was broadcast to the nation. For me, that is something that any man would struggle to "get over" in his lifetime never mind in "7 f**king years".
You are some ignorant pup.
I think the genuine emotion of a father's grief is being used to colour perception of this stand off with rte.
The issue with the sketch is mainly with Murray not RTE. Murray claimed he had a lengthy telephone call with Mickey a few days afterwards and Mickey had accepted his apologies and accepted that the use of the tyrone girl song was inadvertent
To my interpretation, the highly insensitive bit in that parody sketch was the reference to the Dalai Lama.
Hadn't Mickey attended a talk by the Dalai Lama with his son in law and the theme was forgiveness?
Still I seriously doubt that Murray was somehow in on the RTE conspiracy to embarrass Mickey.

Mickey's  issue with RTE is with the leak of that letter and all the the attention that was drawn to it cast Mickey in a poor light. Most if not all in Tyrone GAA  fully  believed that RTE were lying through their teeth and had leaked the letter deliberately to embarrass Mickey.

BennyCake

Quote from: thejuice on August 20, 2018, 10:35:03 PM
I don't recall the sketch while I don't particularly care to listen to it, I don't think Mickey is obliged to to speak to RTE and considering that they haven't shown Marty Morrissey the gate just goes to show what a joke the organization really is. He loses nothing by it. They do. There are other media avenues nowadays.

As for MH and his faith, well I stand by him in that regard too though my beliefs are probably different to his. I might be getting this wrong but for Catholics and Christians generally you are not implored to forgive those who show no contrition. In the scripture that is fairly consistent with a few exceptions.

What's the problem with Marty?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Indignation has a sell-by date.

trileacman

I've no problem with Hartes position as I think it was a very dirty dig at Harte at the time. I'm sure you'd take affront at the thought of someone slighting the memory of your recently deceased daughter.

Likewise I can understand the players siding with the ban as it was not only a slight at your manager but also the team physiotherapist and one of their fellow players. I'm hate the way they can't receive man of the match awards and the like etc. but at the same time I can completely understand the blackout with RTE. I hope it ends next year but I'd understand if they stick to their guns too.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 21, 2018, 12:21:49 AM
Off the football field, there are a number of issues that Mickey Harte holds that I wouldn't agree with, but he's very well entitled to hold such positions bar the letter to RTÉ about Brian Carthy's position in the sports department- that was a case of him and other signatories sticking their nose in where it wasn't their business.

However what I do know is this - if I had a son or daughter that was recently murdered while on their honeymoon and a short while after burying them I hear a presenter doing a "satirical" sketch on a mid-morning show on the most popular national station in Ireland that also is the flagship radio station of the country's public broadcaster, make a complaint to them and then get palmed off with a mealy mouthed apology, I'd have absolutely no problem telling anyone who works for the broadcaster that wants to speak to me to f**k off. And when they get there, f**k off again, then f**k off some more and keep f**king off until they return back to where they started and then they can f**k off for another indefinite period.

And at the risk of those accusing me of playing the "oppressed nordie" card (which I'm not, as this could apply to most counties outside of NI or Ulster), I can safely say that if Mickey Harte at the time of the incident was the senior football manager for Dublin, then RTÉ's management would have been going apeshit & kicking arses out of Donnybrook with P45's attached to them rather than just issuing a statement "apologising for any offence caused".

Likewise RTE wouldn't dare producing such an insulting skit had it been directed at a Leinster or Ireland rugby coach. Rte has always drawn clear distinctions between upstanding metropolitan peoples and the unwashed culchie hordes of the GAA.

omaghjoe

If it was me I was speak to them....make sure it was live...then tell them what a pack of D4 West Brit rugby toffs they are, top to bottom.
And I would give them the same spiel every time they asked for an interview.
And that would be apology or no apology

Mickey in fairness to him is far more dignified and quite right in his actions. The players are showing their support to him for the insulting disrespect afforded to him

trileacman

RTE are almost universally despised on here so I can't imagine there are any players on any county team out there who have much time for them. I wouldn't say on a personal level the players could really give a rats arse about what TSG thinks or has to say about them. At the end of the day they're playing to fulfill childhood ambitions, they're doing this for themselves, their families and for their team-mates. It's their respect and approval their seeking to earn not a wind tunnel  like Brolly or Bernard Flynn.

redhandefender

RTE is probably the worst channels on tv atm. Production value is brutal and it's like a step back in time. Streaming player is worthless.

I personally couldn't care less if they speak to them or not.