Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: JimStynes on February 20, 2020, 01:24:36 PM
Serious amount of mismatches there and games I wouldn't even bother watching. Something needs to change though. A 2 or even 3 tier championship needs to happen, even if it is merged with the leagues as well. The league is the most interesting competition nowadays. Some great games and evenly matched teams playing each other weekly.

that proposal looks great on paper but what the hell are clubs supposed to do? just play most the year without their best players throughout the league campaign? championship in October basically with pitches into the arse and poor weather and then knocking on the ulster and all Ireland series into Christmas time. no break for the players and back at it in Jan again.

never, ever, ever will it work because if your from dublin or kerry etc youll spend all year playing if your from a good club side as well.

i would be behind a tiered championship even at our own expense. its the only way it will ever work, the same as the hurling. its works and its proved itself that it works.
hurl like f**k boi!

Dunsilly King

The irony of it all, a good posters on here bemoaning managers allegedly getting paid. Well haven't the volunteers in these clubs failed miserably. You see, to engage these players at that age you need skills and knowledge and it's clear what has happened is beyond their abilities. No doubt there will be a good few who will take exception to my comments but the facts speaks volumes. I would genuinely love to know have 2 or 3 of these clubs joined forces to to financially contribute to paying for a full time coach who would specifically targetted each of their primary schools and their their secondary schools whilst promoting a culture of love your club what the outcome would be from 15-18. That's what I would call self help. The old model has failed them badly and requires a 2020 model for change and growth

Belfast GAA man

I like debate so I won't take exception to your comments and yes maybe the clubs do need to up theiir game but Belfast's problems are numerous
- to many clubs fighting for players
- lack community GAA spirit evident in many SW & NA clubs
- a severe mental health crisis affecting West & North Belfast's teenagers leading to many lost lives
- years of under investment by Belfast City Council V investment in soccer
- the loss of Casement
So for these reasons we need Gaelfast to help us help ourselves with our teenager problems which is showing itself in minor football teams getting fewer and fewer

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on February 20, 2020, 08:07:34 PM
I like debate so I won't take exception to your comments and yes maybe the clubs do need to up theiir game but Belfast's problems are numerous
- to many clubs fighting for players
- lack community GAA spirit evident in many SW & NA clubs
- a severe mental health crisis affecting West & North Belfast's teenagers leading to many lost lives
- years of under investment by Belfast City Council V investment in soccer
- the loss of Casement
So for these reasons we need Gaelfast to help us help ourselves with our teenager problems which is showing itself in minor football teams getting fewer and fewer

It's not Gaelfast's main agenda at that level I'd suspect, driving and developing a passion to our youngsters, under 6/8/10's who'll hopefully filter into regular leagues with good structures and better coaching at schools and clubs will help with retention.

You'll get better results from that than trying to encourage our current 16/17 to 'stay on'
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

I don't think 15 -18 year olds are in Paul Donnellys remit. Most will have already made their minds up at 15 that playing Gaa competitively is not for them. The battle for hearts and minds lies with the 6 -12 year olds....youngsters aiming to be the next Neil Mc Manus or Conor Murray, playing for club and county.
Gaelfast will make a huge difference, that and the social media provided by Sean Kelly and Saffron Gael which means the youngsters can see their photos and match reports and start seeing a bigger picture for themselves as they get older.

Maybe we just have to accept that sometimes it needs to hit rock bottom before the cycle begins to turn. I don't think anyone can deny that Gaelic Games in Belfast has slipped down the pecking order in terms of teenagers priorities. Three or four years should start to see a difference and that will be good for everyone.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: bannside on February 20, 2020, 09:32:51 PM
I don't think 15 -18 year olds are in Paul Donnellys remit. Most will have already made their minds up at 15 that playing Gaa competitively is not for them. The battle for hearts and minds lies with the 6 -12 year olds....youngsters aiming to be the next Neil Mc Manus or Conor Murray, playing for club and county.
Gaelfast will make a huge difference, that and the social media provided by Sean Kelly and Saffron Gael which means the youngsters can see their photos and match reports and start seeing a bigger picture for themselves as they get older.

Maybe we just have to accept that sometimes it needs to hit rock bottom before the cycle begins to turn. I don't think anyone can deny that Gaelic Games in Belfast has slipped down the pecking order in terms of teenagers priorities. Three or four years should start to see a difference and that will be good for everyone.
BS you say 15-18 yr olds aren't in his remit but fairly sure Gaelfast doing work with county squads at that age? I Understand new programs take time to be a success but we can't afford to ignore this key age group for another 3 to 4 years IMO

BigBallWeeBall

Perhaps if there was a precise plan published for Gaelfast we would be not be surmising on remits. If we can't tackle drop out rates at older teen age then we will not fully maximise the benefits of Gaelfast. Outside the city we are doing OK but I grew up in Belfast and its agonising to see the disparity to SW & NW.
There are many issues in Belfast and its not fair to level all the criticism at volunteers

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on February 21, 2020, 10:16:32 AM

Perhaps if there was a precise plan published for Gaelfast we would be not be surmising on remits. If we can't tackle drop out rates at older teen age then we will not fully maximise the benefits of Gaelfast. Outside the city we are doing OK but I grew up in Belfast and its agonising to see the disparity to SW & NW.
There are many issues in Belfast and its not fair to level all the criticism at volunteers

Who's blaming volunteers?

Over the next 5 years Gaelfast has been instructed to generate a better GAA Belfast with our youngest gaels and school kids, The the reasons why we lose teenagers are plenty, they are not bothered anymore/lost interest, drink/drugs, other sports, poor leagues not structured like soccer, going away to college and so on.

Some of these problems lie everywhere, not just in Belfast. Rural clubs will tell you low birth rates hit them the hardest and for the older players it would be moving away due to work.

Growing up in Belfast, outside of rioting the GAA didn't have too many distractions and schools were very much involved with the coaching and GAA development. Clubs had more money and life wasn't in the fast lane it is now, being brought to Croke park was cheap, if not long, but the craic on the way down was great, the manager had a bus that picked everyone up for games and dropped them off at night. Numbers were not a issue, distractions were less, the peace process has played a part, as its no coincidence that the opening up of the city as enable kids to try other sports.

Gaelfast has 5 years to spend £1 million. £2000 grand a year, plenty of money but to fix the problems that have been brought up its not a lot. Compare that money to what Dublin gets and how they have used it.

I'd give it time, stop looking at fixing problems further up the ladder and start at the bottom rung of the ladder, building better foundations will give us a better future.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 21, 2020, 03:11:49 PM

Over the next 5 years Gaelfast has been instructed to generate a better GAA Belfast with our youngest gaels and school kids, The the reasons why we lose teenagers are plenty, they are not bothered anymore/lost interest, drink/drugs, other sports, poor leagues not structured like soccer, going away to college and so on.

Some of these problems lie everywhere, not just in Belfast. Rural clubs will tell you low birth rates hit them the hardest and for the older players it would be moving away due to work.

Growing up in Belfast, outside of rioting the GAA didn't have too many distractions and schools were very much involved with the coaching and GAA development. Clubs had more money and life wasn't in the fast lane it is now, being brought to Croke park was cheap, if not long, but the craic on the way down was great, the manager had a bus that picked everyone up for games and dropped them off at night. Numbers were not a issue, distractions were less, the peace process has played a part, as its no coincidence that the opening up of the city as enable kids to try other sports.

Gaelfast has 5 years to spend £1 million. £2000 grand a year, plenty of money but to fix the problems that have been brought up its not a lot. Compare that money to what Dublin gets and how they have used it.

I'd give it time, stop looking at fixing problems further up the ladder and start at the bottom rung of the ladder, building better foundations will give us a better future.
I hear what you are saying about giving GFast time but I was Shocked when I heard Naomh Pol had no minor football or hurling team. Naomh Pol is famous at this grade through previous success and the Ulster Minor tournament they hold. They have a good complex and had loads of good leaders at committee level including PD in recent years. Don't think this should wait 4 or 5 years to get some attention that's all - its a wake up call to all belfast and Antrim gaels

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on February 21, 2020, 05:47:06 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 21, 2020, 03:11:49 PM

Him. Seemingly, they're useless and until some man is getting a few bob the whole thing is fcuked.

Quote from: Dunsilly King on February 20, 2020, 05:08:14 PM
The irony of it all, a good posters on here bemoaning managers allegedly getting paid. Well haven't the volunteers in these clubs failed miserably. You see, to engage these players at that age you need skills and knowledge and it's clear what has happened is beyond their abilities.

Without our volunteers our clubs wouldn't function. These paid managers don't look after the under 6's or even the minors, so they don't develop anyone in fairness, that's all done before they become seniors.

Dunsilly King

I hope most of u aren't involved, because if going by your ability to read any wonder clubs in Belfast with kids from 16-18 are fecked. Yes the volunteers in the clubs that can't feild minor teams with the populations they have, have failed. Dublin recognised this 15 years ago and put paid skilled coaches into every club who matched the funding offered with 50% if their own resources whose remit was to coach the volunteers to be better coaches, coaches the kids and go into the clubs primary schools to coach. I could go on but its clear how dead the thinking is here. Backwoods stuff

Sportacus

Great result for the U20's. 

gallsman

imtommygunn

When was the last time an Antrim team beat a Derry team in the championship? I am not that young and I certainly can't remember a time...

BrendanAntrim

Big Shivers played very well, but there was a lot more to the win than that. Very strong team performance especially at the beginning of the second half, playing into a gale force wind, we got the scores then that were the difference in the end. Derry poor going forward, didn't score for more than 30 mins play, but they were under big pressure from our lads when in possession.

Very encouraging result and performance. Maybe more to come from some of our players too, great to see.