Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 10, 2021, 01:57:31 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on February 10, 2021, 01:25:34 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 10, 2021, 10:00:50 AM
Pep is a fraud?

Goodness me. A new low for this thread.

Like him or not, you must respect what he's done for the game and how he done it. Yes he can be somewhat unlikeable...but fraud? No.

Yes he inherited some players, but they are not the players we know now. Then. He bombed out Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Ibrahimovic and created a dynasty.

Quote from: Taylor on February 10, 2021, 10:04:53 AM
He is far from a fraud.

Just look at Sterling & KDB and how they he has improved working under Pep.

How he did it? What by managing only the best and richest teams in each country he has been? Big Sam would win the league with those Barça and Bayern teams ffs. Then coming into an already top Man City team and spending the guts of a billion quid and every one thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. Where was his CL for Bayern? Where is his CL for City? A fraud of a manager that can't be compared to Klopp. Klopp came into sleeping giant clubs and brought them back to the top with a limited budget. Pep comes into top clubs with blank chequebooks. Maybe he should go to a Valencia or an AC Milan now and prove himself, and win a Champions League and league with that level of club, and then we'll talk.

The great thing about the CL is that you cannot buy it. Despite what people may say.....money doesn't equate to success in Europe. Look at Manchester United - 3 European Wins in their history, probably the richest club in the world? Certainly up there.

By your reasoning then, Roberto Di Matteo and Klopp must be relative equals with one Champs League win each? They are clearly in different stratospheres as managers. The point is, Europe is the peak of the peak. I hold it over the World Cup. Only one team can win it, is it always the best team in Europe wins the UCL? Definitely not. But that's what makes it so attractive. It makes so many brilliant stories.

You obviously have a problem with Guardiola, presumably either a Liverpool or Utd fan - I tend to see this a lot from both. I don't know why people can't give out a bit of praise instead of these twitter like look at me replies.

If you don't rate Pep as a manager fine, but to say he's only achieved what he has because of money is just wrong. No amount of money can get a team playing like he had Barca at their pomp - the proof is literally in the pudding, because all the world tried to copy it for the 5 or so years after that until Bayern came along with Jupp Heynckes and probably became for me, the best team to ever win the UCL. They were awesome that year.

You know when you've done what he did in the game at Barca only the best jobs will be available. How likely is it he's going to go to Valencia? Hugely unlikely. That's just the cycle of the game, he climbed the mountain - his reputation in football is already forever. So I doubt he'll do as you ask, but that won't change a thing on how history looks back on his career.
I agree on your point regarding CL, not always the best team that wins it but it's been what nearly ten years since he's won it, with those Bayern and City teams and the money behind them, some might even say he's bottled it on occasions, a poor return. I haven't a problem with him whatsoever, but in my opinion he doesn't deserve to be spoken in the same breath as klopp when you compare what both have done and how they've done it. Yes you're right he'll probably not go to a Valencia, and that's fine. But when he retires he'll be looked upon as a chequebook manager that only went to top clubs (not that he will care), whereas Klopp has proven himself at clubs who weren't at the top or super rich.

trailer

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on February 10, 2021, 01:54:42 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 10, 2021, 01:44:00 PM
Pep is a fraud?

Like him or not, you must respect what he's done for the game and how he done it. Yes he can be somewhat unlikeable...but fraud? No.

Yes he inherited some players, but they are not the players we know now. Then. He bombed out Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Ibrahimovic and created a dynasty.

He is far from a fraud.

How he did it? What by managing only the best and richest teams in each country he has been? Big Sam would win the league with those Barça and Bayern teams ffs. Then coming into an already top Man City team and spending the guts of a billion quid and every one thinks he's the best thing since sliced bread. Where was his CL for Bayern? Where is his CL for City? A fraud of a manager that can't be compared to Klopp. Klopp came into sleeping giant clubs and brought them back to the top with a limited budget. Pep comes into top clubs with blank chequebooks. Maybe he should go to a Valencia or an AC Milan now and prove himself, and win a Champions League and league with that level of club, and then we'll talk.

He made VVD the most expensive defender in the world. He spent money. They all do. Some spend more than others but this notion that it a few loans, a couple of youth players a bit savy in the transfer market is nonsense. They all buy players, some work out better than others that's the reality.
But I do agree that Pep is a money manager. Not sure I'd call him a fraud.

In order to win you need to spend and spend big. Simples.
This is where your point isn't consistent, VVD and Alisson were both signed with the Coutinho money. Liverpool's net spend since Klopp has been in is just over 100m. Man City's net spend is almost 700m. So he has absolutely been savvy in the transfer market. Jurgen has done what he has done at Liverpool on 100m net spend and had to sell in order to buy, whereas pep has blank cheques and can afford to blow 400m on defenders. There is no comparison.

Dunno if that makes him a better or worse manager than Pep though.
Neymar to PSG was the catalyst. Without that Money VVD probably doesn't happen and Klopp is just another underachieving Liverpool manager.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: trailer on February 10, 2021, 02:10:08 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on February 10, 2021, 01:54:42 PM
Quote from: trailer on February 10, 2021, 01:44:00 PM
Pep is a fraud?

He is far from a fraud.

He made VVD the most expensive defender in the world. He spent money. They all do. Some spend more than others but this notion that it a few loans, a couple of youth players a bit savy in the transfer market is nonsense. They all buy players, some work out better than others that's the reality.
But I do agree that Pep is a money manager. Not sure I'd call him a fraud.

In order to win you need to spend and spend big. Simples.
This is where your point isn't consistent, VVD and Alisson were both signed with the Coutinho money. Liverpool's net spend since Klopp has been in is just over 100m. Man City's net spend is almost 700m. So he has absolutely been savvy in the transfer market. Jurgen has done what he has done at Liverpool on 100m net spend and had to sell in order to buy, whereas pep has blank cheques and can afford to blow 400m on defenders. There is no comparison.

Dunno if that makes him a better or worse manager than Pep though.
Neymar to PSG was the catalyst. Without that Money VVD probably doesn't happen and Klopp is just another underachieving Liverpool manager.
What? It hardly makes him worse, the fact that klopps done what he's done to clubs at a lower level with a fraction of the money, and having to sell in order to buy. Obviously more impressive.
Not quite on that one either, Klopp got Liverpool to European and domestic finals that we hadn't been to in years before those two players even came in through the door.

J70

I think Pep's been both unlucky and too smart for his own good in the CL, at least with City.
A couple of dodgy decisions went against him against both Spurs and Liverpool, which could have been decisive.
Other times he has fiddled around with the formation and line-up far too much instead of just playing his normal side. No way they should have been beaten last year by an inferior Lyon team, but that was completely his own fault.

GetOverTheBar

That was a strange one last year by Pep alright. That would be something over the years I would throw at him too, maybe he overthinks it too much. Klopp would send the lads out, roaring. Pep you get the feeling spends hours and hour analysing things to death.

The Spurs decision especially. But, he got a right slice of luck himself against Chelsea in 2009.

The Champions League is a great competition. I hope they never go down the European Super League path. I love the knockout stages.

BennyCake

Pep is a fraud?

He is far from a fraud.

Yup, agree with that.

sid waddell

Every manager who has won less than four European Cups is a fraud

reillycavan

Liverpool 3 0 today lads. Mane first goalscorer.  Benny and Leicester usually the toilet against the pool

Milltown Row2

Any streams for this? My usual ones are not showing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jell 0 Biafra

Quick rule question on Jones's yellow card in the first half for Liverpool today.

The sequence of play:

Leicester are breaking, Jones pulls back the attacking ball player. Ref plays advantage, but was clearly going to award a yellow once play stopped.
Before play stops, Jones again fouls the attacker to cut out the attack (for another yellow-worthy offence). This time it works.  Play stops, ref awards yellow.

My question is since both fouls were yellows, could the referee have been within his rights to award yellows for each foul?  Or do the rules not allow for this?

Boycey

My complete guess is that he would be entitled to give him two yellow cards but he'd have some balls on him to do it

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Boycey on February 13, 2021, 01:33:56 PM
My complete guess is that he would be entitled to give him two yellow cards but he'd have some balls on him to do it

Yeah, that was kind of what I thought.

sid waddell

Yet another goal of the season contender from the champions

Well it would be a goal of the season contender in any other season, but it's probably only around mid-table in Mo Salah's portfolio for this season

What a player

sid waddell

Liverpool need to sign Loris Karius now