Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkillfulBill

Quote from: dferg on June 26, 2016, 11:57:59 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 26, 2016, 10:49:23 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 26, 2016, 10:21:08 PM
Even after the brexit, the UK will have to pay for the privilege of trading with the EU and meet all the associated compliance requirements without having any say in these standards.

The ability to control your own borders might come with a very high price for the little Englanders.

Apart from possible issues around the hard /soft border with the north, the 26 counties could be quid's in with the big multinationals looking a new EU base.

The No1 most effected economy in this is RoI. And I include UK in this

UK is a key a market for RoI. Any reduced deman in UK impacts negatively on RoI. A weaker sterling makes RoI exports to UK more expensive and thats before we add tarrifs. I say Inda and Noonan are shiting themselves and praying that the EU goes lightly on UK

Most people on this forum seem to focus on how Brexit will affect the UK economy, I feel it will affect the Euro at least as much if not more.  We have already the leader of the far right in France calling for a free vote for a FREXIT which Hollande says he will not allow.  He can stall this vote but if the already strong Far Right (NF was the largest party in France in 2014 European elections https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(France)) win the election next spring they will push hard for a vote on FREXIT.  Spain for example with 20% unemployment could easily follow and demand a vote on the Euro.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/buy-britain-but-sell-europe-after-stunning-brexit-rebuke-2016-06-24

Here is the truth of the sixth largest economy in the world. The Uk national Debt is £1.6 trillion. Thats £1.6 million million and will grow by at least another 1/2 trillion on the back of a recession voted for by themselves.

Rossfan

How will Spain voting to leave the Euro sort out their unemployment?
What will leaving the EU do for France exactly?
Have the Brits any effn idea where they go from here?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

screenexile

As anyone with half a brain cell knew... the Leave campaign was just that. A campaign!

Now the shit has hit the fan they haven't a f**king clue what to do and I think Cameron has played his hand well at this stage, Boris needs to deliver something monumental in his term or if will forever be remembered as failure. His press conference was a sorry affair when it should have been a triumph given he'd helped to dupe the Country on such a huge scale but with Cameron resigning he has to do the dirty work now and he's in over his head.

Interesting video...

https://youtu.be/thu4I9Wd1Hg

Is it going to happen at all? If it doesn't happen we have a whole new set of problems!

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on June 27, 2016, 12:08:03 AM

Devaluation.

QuoteHave the Brits any effn idea where they go from here?

Absolutely none.

Quote from: screenexile on June 27, 2016, 12:10:25 AM
Is it going to happen at all? If it doesn't happen we have a whole new set of problems!

Some think not. Although the future is opaque.
If it doesn't happen the problems are mitigated. Uncertainty would persist, but companies would still tend to choose Ireland to be sure to be sure. In the 6 counties there could be time to come up with some sort of plan. Scotland would live in interesting times.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on June 27, 2016, 12:11:20 AM

Devaluation.

Absolutely none.

The problem with devaluation nowadays is that everyone is doing it.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

And the Spanish Government debt is all €......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SkillfulBill

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2016, 12:13:09 AM

Devaluation.

Absolutely none.

Germany tried that after world war 1. And it took 2 wheelbarrrows of German marks to buy a loaf of bread.

armaghniac

Especially the Leave lot
"In Asia, the British pound is down 1.6 per cent on Monday morning at $1.3459"
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Devaluation.

Absolutely none.

OOr trying to. It is like "get your tongue out of my mouth. I am kissing you goodbye" but there is too much money sloshing around. The Euro should be way lower. So should the yen.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

smelmoth

Quote from: armaghniac on June 26, 2016, 11:17:23 PM

UK is a key a market for RoI. Any reduced deman in UK impacts negatively on RoI. A weaker sterling makes RoI exports to UK more expensive and thats before we add tarrifs. I say Inda and Noonan are shiting themselves and praying that the EU goes lightly on UK

The ROI is one of the few places the UK has a trade surplus with, owing to the volume of consumer goods from there. Sterling going down is a swings and roundabouts issue too.

Explain the significance of the trade surplus in the context of this debate?

smelmoth

Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 11:23:37 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on June 26, 2016, 10:21:08 PM
Even after the brexit, the UK will have to pay for the privilege of trading with the EU and meet all the associated compliance requirements without having any say in these standards.

The ability to control your own borders might come with a very high price for the little Englanders.

Apart from possible issues around the hard /soft border with the north, the 26 counties could be quid's in with the big multinationals looking a new EU base.

UK is a key a market for RoI.
Any reduced deman in UK impacts negatively on RoI. A weaker sterling makes RoI exports to UK more expensive and thats before we add tarrifs. I say Inda and Noonan are shiting themselves and praying that the EU goes lightly on UK

Is the UK not a key market for the UK?   :D :D :D

The domestic market is as key to the UK as it is to any other nation but that does not mean that the the Uk will feel the pain of its own (stupid) decision more than RoI.

LeoMc

Quote from: smelmoth on June 27, 2016, 08:50:45 AM

The ROI is one of the few places the UK has a trade surplus with, owing to the volume of consumer goods from there. Sterling going down is a swings and roundabouts issue too.

The UK's trade surplus is Irelands trade defecit.
If we are trading the same volume but the cost of the goods coming in goes down (£ loses value relative to €) then Irelands trade defecit narrows.

gallsman

Anyone buying sterling?

smelmoth

Quote from: LeoMc on June 27, 2016, 08:55:36 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 27, 2016, 08:50:45 AM

The UK's trade surplus is Irelands trade defecit.
If we are trading the same volume but the cost of the goods coming in goes down (£ loses value relative to €) then Irelands trade defecit narrows.

So if you sell a good or service into the UK and you lose orders because there is less demand in UK, the currency movement has made your goods more expensive and the UK importer now has to pay an import tariff what significance is to you that the imports from UK will be cheaper?

Is it not even worse as an import from UK is now cheaper (especially in the 2+ years Article 50 period) and so RoI businesses well find it harder to compete in their domestic market against UK competitors?