NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerryforsam20

Quote from: larryin89 on October 18, 2020, 12:14:41 PM
Quote from: kerryforsam20 on October 18, 2020, 10:53:16 AM
Quote from: Manning18 on October 03, 2020, 10:22:47 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on October 03, 2020, 08:10:29 PM
Hopefully the Donegal bucks didn't pass on anything!

Couple of the Mayo lads have enough nasal issues as it is

Are you accusing Mayo of playing lads with convict symptoms? No medic would allow that. Please withdraw your post?

You're a dull boy

Apology accepted

twohands!!!

Quote from: J70 on October 18, 2020, 05:58:39 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on October 18, 2020, 05:52:03 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 18, 2020, 05:43:50 PM
Donegal safe for this year. Tyrone may need a result against Mayo.

Donegal could still win the league - beat Kerry and if Dublin and Galway draw then Donegal's scoring difference would mean they win it.

For Tyrone to get relegated they have to lose to Mayo and Monaghan have to beat Meath.

I don't think we've come out of Kerry with even a point in more than 30 years.

I'd imagine Bonner will be happy with what he's got, especially after seeing Galway today.

Yeah - I don't rate it that likely but still a possibility.

Bonner will probably rest any lads with any sort of knock.

Keane will probably be that bit keener to get some silverware after losing three finals last year.

Cunny Funt

Is a few Tyrone players now suspended for that relegation play off against Mayo?

Angelo

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 18, 2020, 06:07:26 PM
Is a few Tyrone players now suspended for that relegation play off against Mayo?

Brennan will be as it's a straight red.

Not sure about McGeary as he was given a black which would count as a second yellow.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

An Fhairche Abu

Don't know where to start with that match earlier, you'd only be thankful that Galway don't need to get a result next week against Dublin to stay in Division One.
While there always seems to be a blow up collapse game in Galway that can happen at any time, Galway looked worse today than at any point under KW, let that sink in. That was worse than the Tipp semi final or the 2017 Connacht final, that was Mayo 2013 levels of bad today. I don't care about the players missing, you shouldn't get that much of a hiding even if you had to play your U20's.
Galway can't be without him but Comer cannot stay fit, if there was any doubt about his hamstring and he started then it would be criminal from the sideline, you would have to assume that it's a fresh injury issue that likely means he's done for the year if it's as severe as it seems to have been.

No point picking out individual players for criticism as it was a complete failure throughout the pitch, some positions were absolute disaster zones though and anyone with eyes watching it will know who those players were.
Conroy and O'Donnell showed fight but it's piss poor when it's the vets that are the only ones bringing it in a game with the big rivals.

Fair play to Mayo though, played some super football, their new players looked to the manner born and they destroyed the poor level of opposition that was in front of them, they'll more than fancy their chances of staying up next week with another win.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 18, 2020, 07:50:16 PM
Don't know where to start with that match earlier, you'd only be thankful that Galway don't need to get a result next week against Dublin to stay in Division One.
While there always seems to be a blow up collapse game in Galway that can happen at any time, Galway looked worse today than at any point under KW, let that sink in. That was worse than the Tipp semi final or the 2017 Connacht final, that was Mayo 2013 levels of bad today. I don't care about the players missing, you shouldn't get that much of a hiding even if you had to play your U20's.
Galway can't be without him but Comer cannot stay fit, if there was any doubt about his hamstring and he started then it would be criminal from the sideline, you would have to assume that it's a fresh injury issue that likely means he's done for the year if it's as severe as it seems to have been.

No point picking out individual players for criticism as it was a complete failure throughout the pitch, some positions were absolute disaster zones though and anyone with eyes watching it will know who those players were.
Conroy and O'Donnell showed fight but it's piss poor when it's the vets that are the only ones bringing it in a game with the big rivals.

Fair play to Mayo though, played some super football, their new players looked to the manner born and they destroyed the poor level of opposition that was in front of them, they'll more than fancy their chances of staying up next week with another win.

Craobh Covid . I don't think the result means anything. They did all the hard work before the pandemic.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Fhairche Abu

The result is an embarrassment for Galway football, it means that much at least.

From the Bunker

A tough day in the office for Galway. Mayo looked more focused today. The reality is Galway are not that bad and Mayo are not that great. Results like this will mean little if Galway have a good championship. Tough game v Dublin to follow, at least it is at home. A decent performance and all will be (nearly) forgotten about this next week.

Doing what P Joyce does is positive and great. But every now and then you need K Walsh moments. When there are leaks everywhere.

kerryforsam20

Mayo are a professional outfit.  Galway and the rossies are years behind Mayo.  Galway fans looked down their noses at Kevin Walsh style of football.  With backdoor Mayo have taken off eye Connacht championship in recent years. Mayo haven numerous games in Croke Park. How many have Galway won? Expect Mayo to take Galway again in Connacht final in 4 week time.

GalwayBayBoy

Padraic Joyce didn't waste any words when asked to sum up a humiliating afternoon for him and his Galway players.

"It was a disappointing day, probably the most embarrassing day of my career," he said. "I am 43 years of age and I have never seen a performance as bad, to tell you the truth.

"We were a mile off it. It was like men and boys all day. I will take responsibility for that as the manager of the team. I am not going to throw the lads under the bus.

"I prepared them, I got them on the pitch and I will take full responsibility."

"After 20 mins, we were trying to climb a mountain that we shouldn't have to be climbing. We stood off our men, didn't get involved, didn't make any contact, didn't show anything."

"There were lads at halftime that hadn't even broke sweat."

It was hardly an exaggeration on the Galway manager's part, so poor was their display. In the end, it was their heaviest League defeat to Mayo since 1952 and it might even have been worse as the visitors to Tuam Stadium squandered goal openings in either half. It was difficult to think of one for Galway.

Right from off it was apparent that the teams were on different wavelengths and Mayo slotted three points in the first four minutes. A goal was on the cards before impressive debutant Mark Moran rounded Connor Gleeson for Mayo's first in the 12th minute, by which time Galway had already lost centre-forward Damien Comer (hamstring) and centre-back Johnny Duane (calf).

"That's what happens when you are not tuned in and you are not ready for battle," Joyce spat. "You pick up knocks at centre-back and centre-forward but we were chasing shadows at that stage.

"When you are playing your fiercest rivals, if you need to motivate lads they are in the wrong game," Joyce continued.

"We should not have had to be motivating lads. Mayo were up for the game, I don't know why we could not be up for it. It is a psychological thing."

Rossfan

Quote from: kerryforsam20 on October 18, 2020, 08:43:03 PM
Expect Mayo to take Galway again in Connacht final in 4 week time.

Thank you💛💙
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

galwayman

Quote from: hardstation on October 18, 2020, 09:34:12 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 18, 2020, 08:56:07 PM
Padraic Joyce didn't waste any words when asked to sum up a humiliating afternoon for him and his Galway players.

"It was a disappointing day, probably the most embarrassing day of my career," he said. "I am 43 years of age and I have never seen a performance as bad, to tell you the truth.

"We were a mile off it. It was like men and boys all day. I will take responsibility for that as the manager of the team. I am not going to throw the lads under the bus.

"I prepared them, I got them on the pitch and I will take full responsibility."

"After 20 mins, we were trying to climb a mountain that we shouldn't have to be climbing. We stood off our men, didn't get involved, didn't make any contact, didn't show anything."

"There were lads at halftime that hadn't even broke sweat."

It was hardly an exaggeration on the Galway manager's part, so poor was their display. In the end, it was their heaviest League defeat to Mayo since 1952 and it might even have been worse as the visitors to Tuam Stadium squandered goal openings in either half. It was difficult to think of one for Galway.

Right from off it was apparent that the teams were on different wavelengths and Mayo slotted three points in the first four minutes. A goal was on the cards before impressive debutant Mark Moran rounded Connor Gleeson for Mayo's first in the 12th minute, by which time Galway had already lost centre-forward Damien Comer (hamstring) and centre-back Johnny Duane (calf).

"That's what happens when you are not tuned in and you are not ready for battle," Joyce spat. "You pick up knocks at centre-back and centre-forward but we were chasing shadows at that stage.

"When you are playing your fiercest rivals, if you need to motivate lads they are in the wrong game," Joyce continued.

"We should not have had to be motivating lads. Mayo were up for the game, I don't know why we could not be up for it. It is a psychological thing."
Am I right in saying that the last time he wore the Galway jersey it was a championship exit to Antrim?
Yep summer 2012 in Casement Park. Was there myself that day.
Pj came off the bench and we lost by a point.

galwayman

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 18, 2020, 08:24:14 PM

A tough day in the office for Galway. Mayo looked more focused today. The reality is Galway are not that bad and Mayo are not that great. Results like this will mean little if Galway have a good championship. Tough game v Dublin to follow, at least it is at home. A decent performance and all will be (nearly) forgotten about this next week.

Doing what P Joyce does is positive and great. But every now and then you need K Walsh moments. When there are leaks everywhere.
A depressing day to be a Galway fan (and God knows there have been enough of them over the last decade). We were clearly not tuned in or "up" for it at all as Pj said in his interview.
That's the thing with Galway teams though - we always seem to be so up and down. At it one day and seemingly half arsed the next. It would drive you demented.
What is clear though is that our defence simply isn't good enough to be competing for All Ireland's.
This isn't a new problem and we are no nearer to solving it.

Farrandeelin

It'll be interesting to see how Galway react to that performance for sure. From Mayo's point of view, they did what they had to do and they did it very well. Mullin is a brilliant new addition. Hopefully the covid will keep him in Ireland if anything else. The forwards all clicked well today too. Plenty of similarities between the two Horan eras, running, running and more running from deep. Galway had no answer.

The only minus in my opinion was that I thought McBrien struggled a bit when he was on. He is inexperienced, but so too is Moran who played a blinder in his first league game. Good day all round for Mayo in terms of performance. Reminded me of 2013 in Salthill.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Just watched back on the mayo game there, great win but Galway were brutal. I'd say 75-80% of our scores were taken under virtually no pressure so I wouldn't get too carried away. Good that we have our fate in our own hands going into the last match, huge game next weekend against Tyrone.

I thought our kickouts were much improved today, loads of movement which meant Clarke had options although some of that may have been down to Galway being way off it

As an aside, how did Sean Andy not get a yellow for persistent fouling? Him and the keeper have to be worries for Joyce going into championship