Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2019, 11:57:20 PM
He's completely losing the run of himself over on Twitter. Entering into the sort of territory that could get him in hot water with his employers.

Why would he be getting into hot water with his employers when he is doing nothing but defend RTE from any form of criticism?

It is fairly clear that Harte was subtly referring to RTE and probably more specifically Brolly when he referred to people using elderly/sick people in nursing homes to push their own agenda. Brolly seen this and exploded with rage. The reaction from Brolly was then fairly predictable.

You can argue whether Brolly has an agenda or not when it comes to this but I think the jist of his argument is correct in that no GAA matches should be behind a paywall. 

RedHand88

Quote from: oakleaflad on August 07, 2019, 10:07:51 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 07, 2019, 10:06:02 AM
Quote from: ck on August 07, 2019, 09:36:27 AM
He's completely losing the run of himself over on Twitter. Entering into the sort of territory that could get him in hot water with his employers.

Why, what did he say?

As far as I know he's a self employed barrister and is a millionaire. He'll have no concerns about any repercussions.

The GAA have sold their soul by giving sky backdoor games and 2 super 8 games. Anyone who questions it gets a string of expletive insults in response.
I think he's right

Imagine a legitimate pundit regularly telling people to F off on Twitter, they'd be out in a flash. Let's not forget the man is also a barrister.

rosnarun

Quote from: yellowcard on August 07, 2019, 10:08:13 AM

Why would he be getting into hot water with his employers when he is doing nothing but defend RTE from any form of criticism?

It is fairly clear that Harte was subtly referring to RTE and probably more specifically Brolly when he referred to people using elderly/sick people in nursing homes to push their own agenda. Brolly seen this and exploded with rage. The reaction from Brolly was then fairly predictable.

You can argue whether Brolly has an agenda or not when it comes to this but I think the jist of his argument is correct in that no GAA matches should be behind a paywall. 
hos only agenda is to be talked about ,
the man does not have the character to actually hold a view he believes in. suits his job well
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

yellowcard

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 07, 2019, 10:22:21 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on August 07, 2019, 10:07:51 AM

Why, what did he say?

As far as I know he's a self employed barrister and is a millionaire. He'll have no concerns about any repercussions.

The GAA have sold their soul by giving sky backdoor games and 2 super 8 games. Anyone who questions it gets a string of expletive insults in response.
I think he's right

Imagine a legitimate pundit regularly telling people to F off on Twitter, they'd be out in a flash. Let's not forget the man is also a barrister.

There is definitely a vindictive side to him which often results in needless insults, however that doesn't mean that his original argument is wrong. If those same personal insults were a problem for RTE then he would have been gone years ago.

imtommygunn

Things like admission fees and a load of tickets going to corporates for things like AI finals are much worse than the sky thing IMO.

The GAA sold themselves out a long time ago.

I always thought it worse when they were showing stuff on TV# and a load of people in the north couldn't get it. That to me is worse.

JoG2

Why, what did he say?

5 super 8 games. You may have beef with Brolly (god knows I'm not his biggest fan) but giving a multi-billionaire and his subscription TV platform exclusive rights to our games is wrong. I'd say the percentage of folk coming out in support of Sky and historically have had a Sky subscription for the premier league is huge. The disconnect between clubs and Croke Park is huge, HQ is soulless at this stage

Wildweasel74

It doesn't even work its way out of Dublin. Look at the origin of gaelic games and the reason for them. The Gaa long lost its ethos. Look at the amount of people at games compared to the to 20yrs ago. The only one making a living out of the gaa is county managers, and trainers, and admin staff at croke Park.

Rossfan

Do many of those who want  Gaelic games on free to air TV only ever attend or pay into an actual game?
Maybe in a true back to our roots amateur ethos we should let people in free to all games.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

I pay in to follow my team in the north. I attended the leinster final ever year during the 90's. Going to games in munster or connacht too far away so I like to watch on TV. I do have a issue with the cost of div 1&2 league games and bck door qualifier games, they are a rip off. The cost of sky a rip off and when I am at, I can't seen to get rte player up here either to watch Michael meets Davie.

WhoDat

very interesting that joe and friends have nothing to say about the ticket fiasco currently going on for the semi finals. they'll bicker and whinge for weeks on end about the sky deal, but when it comes to real fans and club members and the like being shafted by the gaa you dont hear a peep out of them. because it has no effect on them. joe brolly and the likes really only care about themselves and their jobs.

t_mac

Quote from: Rossfan on August 07, 2019, 11:25:09 AM
Do many of those who want  Gaelic games on free to air TV only ever attend or pay into an actual game?
Maybe in a true back to our roots amateur ethos we should let people in free to all games.

I went to All Ireland Hurling final last year 320 euro for tickets, journey down food etc about 500 euro in total, yes I go to games and only missed one for my county all year but for neutrals or people who are working that day with en evening throw in etc they aren't going to make them.  Stadiums cost money and the GAA has a right to raise revenue but to deny big games to the masses is wrong, the GAA has become a money making machine and once they have started down this road it's hard to stop, I suppose someone has to pay for Dublin players personal meal plans and transportation.

t_mac

Quote from: WhoDat on August 07, 2019, 11:33:03 AM
very interesting that joe and friends have nothing to say about the ticket fiasco currently going on for the semi finals. they'll bicker and whinge for weeks on end about the sky deal, but when it comes to real fans and club members and the like being shafted by the gaa you dont hear a peep out of them. because it has no effect on them. joe brolly and the likes really only care about themselves and their jobs.

Real fans your hole, this the the bandwagoners jumping on at this stage, I doubt any real fan will be denied a ticket.

t_mac

Quote from: t_mac on August 07, 2019, 11:41:53 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 07, 2019, 11:25:09 AM

I went to All Ireland Hurling final last year 320 euro for tickets, journey down food etc about 500 euro in total, yes I go to games and only missed one for my county all year but for neutrals or people who are working that day with en evening throw in etc they aren't going to make them.  Stadiums cost money and the GAA has a right to raise revenue but to deny big games to the masses is wrong, the GAA has become a money making machine and once they have started down this road it's hard to stop, I suppose someone has to pay for Dublin players personal meal plans and transportation.

That was two kids and two adults - no concessions for a final with the Grab All.

Rossfan

You must be well in getting 4 AI Final tickets  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

Quote from: t_mac on August 07, 2019, 11:43:24 AM
Quote from: WhoDat on August 07, 2019, 11:33:03 AM

Real fans your hole, this the the bandwagoners jumping on at this stage, I doubt any real fan will be denied a ticket.

I have never seen a real fan denied a ticket. For last years All Ireland final (Football) there was a heap of tickets.
The whole coverage of our games is a mess. Antrim V Tyrone was on TV this year yet Tyrone V Derry 1st round wasn't.

GAA games shouldn't be behind a paywall. I have actually changed my mind on this but if you see young children watching sport on TV it encourages them to go and play it. My son was mad to play Rugby after watching the 6nations, crazy for Tennis in July and is mad for GAA. Hurling & Football. And no amount of €s or £s will be able to replicate that. If children can't see, they can't aspire and if they can't aspire, they can't be.