Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

While McKenna Cup performances will soon be forgotten, it is still the first time in a decade that we have managed to make the semi finals of the competition. Havern and Francis were excellent throughout, and we looked solid at midfield as well. Even if there are no further additions to the squad from Kilcoo, we should be in decent shape for the start of the league.

urbangael

Mckenna cup is obviously not much more than a friendly but 2 wins in a row is always welcome. Serious pace in the team with Liam Kerr the quickest of the lot but is also pace with a purpose. McEvoy round the middle was welcome to see interesting to see if he stays there as he is a quality full back too. Big Donnelly worked hard and Havern was on fine form. OHagan will get fitter and sharper. Green shoots of optimism I'd expect promotion from Div 3. Seems to be a large squad with probably 10 or 15 players not even named on the match day panel. Massive competition for players will only help.

Smurfy123

Tyrone beat Down in the semi final of the McKenna cup in Armagh 2-3 years ago
The squad seems to be very united
That's what happens when everyone pulls the one way
That wasn't happening last year and players were calling the shots
Thankfully those players are now off the panel

Mourne Rover

Smurfy is correct and and I had forgotten that we did make the McKenna semis in 2020. However, we came out of a group with Fermanagh and Antrim that year before getting hammered by Tyrone and our record in the competition has been generally dreadful over the last decade. Getting an extra game against decent opposition next weekend is a big help and should give us a fair idea about our league prospects.

Truth hurts

There seems to be no bullshitters in this squad and it is full of hard workers.
This squad is likeable so fair play to the lads for assembling the squad and building a work ethic.
Granted it was a poor Donegal side but there are signs that we are going places. The competition for places for the league will be intense.
That forward line yesterday was full and pace with Kerr and Havern brilliant. Brannigan and Fitzpatrick for new boys do not look out of place in a Down shirt.

ardtole

I'd say Havern, Kerr & O'Hagan are nailed on to start v Tipp in the league this month. Gilmore and McAleenan are doing their chances no harm either.

Would Murdock and McEvoy compliment each other in midfield?. Donnelly worth a shout there too. Serious amount of competition for half back slots, Annett, McCormack, McPartland, Francis, Rooney have all impressed.

Looking forward to see who we get on Sunday, we definitely have a spring in our step which is good to see.

Smurfy123

Truth you are right they seem a really likeable bunch of players
Watching them yesterday. Working hard and no bullshit along the way
The bad eggs in the squad have been finally routed out
The management team deserve huge credit for that
The last few years boys thought they were doing Down GAA a favour by playing. Not anymore. I would say the same boys now want back into the squad
Kerr Havern O Hagan Gilmore to start v Tipp
Donnelly Murdock Mid
McEvoy McParland in defence
O Hare Kane nets
That leaves 6-7 positions up for grabs

Truth hurts

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 09, 2023, 10:10:15 AM
Truth you are right they seem a really likeable bunch of players
Watching them yesterday. Working hard and no bullshit along the way
The bad eggs in the squad have been finally routed out
The management team deserve huge credit for that
The last few years boys thought they were doing Down GAA a favour by playing. Not anymore. I would say the same boys now want back into the squad
Kerr Havern O Hagan Gilmore to start v Tipp
Donnelly Murdock Mid
McEvoy McParland in defence
O Hare Kane nets
That leaves 6-7 positions up for grabs

Team for Tipp

O'Hare
Fegan
McEvoy
Francis
Annett
McParland
Francis
Donnelly
Murdock
Docherty
McAleenan
O'Hagan
Kerr
Havern
Gilmore

Great options on the bench too

ardtole

You are expecting a lot from Francis.

Smurfy123

Strong team. You have Francis in twice. I would like to see Kane in for the semi final to see how he goes. O Hare has been brilliant so far but Kane is really good too. He needs game time before the league starts. Ryan Magill should start to

Truth hurts

Quote from: Smurfy123 on January 09, 2023, 10:40:53 AM
Strong team. You have Francis in twice. I would like to see Kane in for the semi final to see how he goes. O Hare has been brilliant so far but Kane is really good too. He needs game time before the league starts. Ryan Magill should start to

sorry Magill in at 7 for me

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: ardtole on January 09, 2023, 10:39:13 AM
You are expecting a lot from Francis.

No that's his dad Simon in corner back.

Wee but wicked!

😉

Truth hurts

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 09, 2023, 01:13:44 PM
Any white smoke from Kilcoo?

Bit too damp for burning whins this weather.
i usse an speelchekor

Granto

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 09, 2023, 02:22:59 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on January 09, 2023, 01:13:44 PM
Any white smoke from Kilcoo?

Bit too damp for burning whins this weather.

You could always throw some Petrol on them  ;)