Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Liverpool were stupid to sell Suarez
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

JoG2

Quote from: seafoid on January 26, 2017, 04:29:27 PM

Alonso, Masch?? With the exception of Barca and R Madrid, the rest are feeder clubs to a degree!

AZOffaly

J70

They had little choice. The bite on Chellini and the ensuing ban, combined with the large fee and promises they supposedly had made to him meant it was over for him at Anfield. If a player is determined to leave, what can you do? They'd already denied him a move the previous summer. To his credit, he never sulked and downed tools like Torres, instead delivering arguably the finest season of football ever seen from a Liverpool, or any other English league, player.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on January 26, 2017, 04:37:40 PM

They had little choice. The bite on Chellini and the ensuing ban, combined with the large fee and promises they supposedly had made to him meant it was over for him at Anfield. If a player is determined to leave, what can you do? They'd already denied him a move the previous summer. To his credit, he never sulked and downed tools like Torres, instead delivering arguably the finest season of football ever seen from a Liverpool, or any other English league, player.
The bite was quickly forgotten. He was the best Liverpool player for a good while. I think they could have managed it better.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ballinaman

Who would Liverpool fans hypothetically like if Klopp got the chop? High pressing game with poor periodisation of training will mean Liverpool will fall away towards of league seasons...throw in Europe next year and it'll be a right mess with injuries. So who would it be?

Simeone?
Tuchel?

J70

Quote from: seafoid on January 26, 2017, 04:45:29 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 26, 2017, 04:37:40 PM

The bite was quickly forgotten. He was the best Liverpool player for a good while. I think they could have managed it better.

Arguably best Liverpool player ever, albeit for a short period compared to Dalglish, Barnes, Rush, Keegan, Gerrard and other usual suspects.

Doubt if there has been any better, pure skill- and ability-wise.

TabClear

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 26, 2017, 04:20:26 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 26, 2017, 04:08:47 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 26, 2017, 03:47:10 PM
Rodgers single biggest error was that he didn't jettison Gerrard earlier. He was living off his reputation for years and holding back that team. He cost ye that league ye should have won.

I'm not having that - apart from "that" incident, he scored 10 league goals during a 16-game unbeaten league run which got them to where they were.

He led the league in assists that year as well.

Most were penalties and he missed one or two of those. Amazing how many penalties Liverpool got in that run.

I'm pretty sure he was voted into the pfa team of the year that year as well.  And the only penalty I can remember him missing that season was the meaningless third at the 0-3 arena against Man u when the match was over?

laoislad

Quote from: TabClear on January 26, 2017, 05:04:44 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 26, 2017, 04:20:26 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 26, 2017, 04:08:47 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 26, 2017, 03:47:10 PM
Rodgers single biggest error was that he didn't jettison Gerrard earlier. He was living off his reputation for years and holding back that team. He cost ye that league ye should have won.

I'm not having that - apart from "that" incident, he scored 10 league goals during a 16-game unbeaten league run which got them to where they were.

He led the league in assists that year as well.

Most were penalties and he missed one or two of those. Amazing how many penalties Liverpool got in that run.

I'm pretty sure he was voted into the pfa team of the year that year as well.  And the only penalty I can remember him missing that season was the meaningless third at the 0-3 arena against Man u when the match was over?
Which was a shame as he would have had a hatrick of penos!
Sorry magpie but it's ridiculous to say Gerrard cost Liverpool  the league that season. Slip aside he was in great form.

It's also ridiculous to suggest that unfortunate slip cost them the title. I know rival fans love to think it was all Gerrard fault but a league is won and lost over 38 games.
That season was so full of twists and turns.
One that sticks in my mind is Joe Allen somehow putting the ball wide from 5 yards out with nobody in the goal against Everton to put Liverpool 3-1 up.  The game ended 2-2. Those dropped two points (and other silly dropped points) are as much to blame as any Gerrard slip imo.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Stallion

The slip was not evem why they lost that game. Gerrard had already lost possession before he slipped, the fall just added comedy value. What was worse was how he spent the rest of the game shooting from distance, ignoring better placed teammates all to try and salve his wounded ego.

Pathetic performance from a massively overrated player.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: laoislad on January 26, 2017, 05:30:36 PM
It's also ridiculous to suggest that unfortunate slip cost them the title. I know rival fans love to think it was all Gerrard fault but a league is won and lost over 38 games.
That season was so full of twists and turns.

Aye, but...

J70

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 26, 2017, 03:24:09 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 26, 2017, 03:11:29 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on January 26, 2017, 02:51:03 PM
I don't have time to read your post in full, but one part which did catch my eye was:

"No one builds a championship winning team over one summer, at least outside of the world of Abramovich or the Sheiks, especially starting from where Klopp did when he took over"

It made me chuckle, so thanks for that. I know you don't like to acknowledge that last season happened given Klopp took Liverpool to mid-table obscurity, but while he was doing a crap job a proper manager won the League with a much inferior side at a fraction of the cost.

YNWA

This, again, is an example of why I think you're trolling. Maybe you should have picked a different part of my post, which would take less than a minute to read, to focus on.

Ranieri did an extraordinary job, but that was a perfect storm for Leicester, when an entire team/squad overachieved dramatically. They've sank back to their level this season and the chances of them even challenging for champions league places again are slim as things stand for them.

To expect such an isolated, unexpected, league win to be repeated elsewhere, especially in this age of vastly wealthy competitors, is either ignorant of reality or, again, just making shit up for the sake of attention. It's like saying that someone jumping off a five storey roof and, by some miracle, surviving unharmed, means that others should, realistically, be expected to do the same. Both are statistical improbabilities.

Holding Klopp or any other manager (including Ranieri himself) to that standard is just idiotic. Ranieri himself is a solid, capable, journeyman manager with no other history of top division title success, even with a season of Abramovich wealth thrown in there.

For one I'm a big fan of Klopp. Just few strange signings or lack of in many cases. He reminds me a bit of Wenger in many ways, not much of a clue about defending.

I'm not saying he is perfect by any stretch. I like much of what I've seen so far and watching them this season has been, on the whole, very enjoyable, but he has a lot of work to do (defending and squad depth). However, he has more than earned the opportunity to see it through at this point.

rodney trotter

Fair play to Southampton. Their squad has been ripped apart in the last 3/4 years mainly by Liverpool ., but signed good replacements, and have a great academy.

Mane was the type of all action player Rodgers should have signed when Suarez left. He went for Balotelli and then Benteke, the opposites.

J70

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 26, 2017, 05:57:45 PM
Fair play to Southampton. Their squad has been ripped apart in the last 3/4 years mainly by Liverpool ., but signed good replacements, and have a great academy.

Mane was the type of all action player Rodgers should have signed when Suarez left. He went for Balotelli and then Benteke, the opposites.

Balotelli was desperation stuff with the transfer window closing. Rodgers himself had dismissed the idea as ludicrous earlier that summer! At no point was it ever likely to be a success, other than the "its his last chance at a big club" delusion.

Benteke was similarly stupid, and everyone knew it before he even signed. He is a good player, but horribly ill-equipped to play the type of game that Liverpool under Rodgers and now Klopp play. Had he skipped Benteke and did what Klopp did and used Firmino at centre forward instead of as a wing-back (!), he might have saved his job, at least for a while longer.

And on Southampton - absolute credit to them. Hope they win it. It would be nice to see a club like them win a trophy (and of course beating United would be a nice additional bonus. Although I'm sure United fans would be happy for Southampton too if they were to win it, their own disappointment notwithstanding).

Carmen Stateside

J70 can you stop quoting that imbecile please. Thanks