Cork fans flying the confederate flag

Started by Eamonnca1, August 14, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 22, 2017, 04:16:33 PM
Interesting piece here about how most of these confederate monuments went up during the Jim Crow era and the Civil Rights campaign:

https://www.facebook.com/MicMedia/videos/1620753744614076/
The monuments' construction was as shit as every argument to keep them.

Main Street

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 22, 2017, 08:52:00 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 22, 2017, 12:34:31 AM
Quote from: Main Street on August 21, 2017, 11:03:44 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 21, 2017, 10:27:06 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 21, 2017, 10:17:10 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 21, 2017, 09:26:03 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 21, 2017, 08:13:09 PM

It's context which also defines meaning in the english language.
For people who smoke, do they have to refrain from saying "I'd love a fag right now" or " I'd love to give up the fags"  because people on the other side of the planet who are english deficient will take offence,  those people who only understand   "fag" to be a derogative term and are too lazy /ignorant to understand that the basis of defining meaning in the english language is context. 
If context is stripped out of understanding languge, ignorance reigns and only one extreme blinkered righteous interpretation is allowable.

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 21, 2017, 08:42:13 PM

Its the same logic as you shouldnt take butter on your toast cos thats what these white power morons do.

It's actually like some posters are trying to come across as even more stupid than they already have done.
It's actually like, actually that anyone who uses "actually" and "like" together, is as dumb as fck. As dumb as a KKK bubba redneck.
Exhibit A: you!
Retort is not your thing Sid, it requires some imagination.

The langers have been flying the confed flag for decades and KKK nazis have been shoving the confed flag up the noses of civil rights supporters for decades, when did you start getting offended by langers flying the confed flag? Where and when did you express your indignation?
These KKK nazis have been engaged in all sorts of criminal terrorist activity, including murder, rape and arson for decades as a method of intimidation, when did the penny drop for you, the connection between Cork supporters and the activities of KKK nazis?
Did you not consider it worthy of your comment sometime in the last 30 years or so about langers  and the controversial confed flag?
Oh, believe me, retort is very much my thing, but one doesn't have to utilise any imagination when engaging with a dullard.

Just a quick question: when, if ever, do you think the use of n word will become unacceptable, given that you so obviously believe it is acceptable today?

So you've no answer to his question?
Silent Sid.
He probably never gave the langers and their rebel flag a moments thought before coming out last weekend as a reborn self appointed champion of righteous and indignant keyboard anti-racism.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Main Street on August 23, 2017, 01:29:10 AM
Silent Sid.
He probably never gave the langers and their rebel flag a moments thought before coming out last weekend as a reborn self appointed champion of righteous and indignant keyboard anti-racism.

And how did you produce that righteous and indignant post? Did you use a keyboard?

sid waddell

For people who smoke, do they have to refrain from saying "I'd love a fag right now" or " I'd love to give up the fags"  because people on the other side of the planet who are english deficient will take offence,  those people who only understand   "fag" to be a derogative term and are too lazy /ignorant to understand that the basis of defining meaning in the english language is context. 
If context is stripped out of understanding languge, ignorance reigns and only one extreme blinkered righteous interpretation is allowable.

Its the same logic as you shouldnt take butter on your toast cos thats what these white power morons do.

It's actually like some posters are trying to come across as even more stupid than they already have done.
It's actually like, actually that anyone who uses "actually" and "like" together, is as dumb as fck. As dumb as a KKK bubba redneck.

The langers have been flying the confed flag for decades and KKK nazis have been shoving the confed flag up the noses of civil rights supporters for decades, when did you start getting offended by langers flying the confed flag? Where and when did you express your indignation?
These KKK nazis have been engaged in all sorts of criminal terrorist activity, including murder, rape and arson for decades as a method of intimidation, when did the penny drop for you, the connection between Cork supporters and the activities of KKK nazis?
Did you not consider it worthy of your comment sometime in the last 30 years or so about langers  and the controversial confed flag?
Oh, believe me, retort is very much my thing, but one doesn't have to utilise any imagination when engaging with a dullard.

Just a quick question: when, if ever, do you think the use of n word will become unacceptable, given that you so obviously believe it is acceptable today?

Silent Sid.
I'm presuming you chose the user name "Main Street" as it symbolises the gap between your ears, mate.

You might get back to me and answer the question at hand.

You've had a lot of time.

I've bolded it to make it easy for you.

And believe me, you need things made easy.

mrhardyannual

Hero Or Villain   

James Mitchel (Young Irelander & White Supremacist)

He claimed that the Irish people had a distinct and indefeasible right to their country, and to all the moral and material wealth and resources thereof, to possess, to govern the same, for their own use, maintenance, comfort and honour, as a distinct Sovereign State; that it was within their power and their manifest duty to make good and exercise that right; that the life of one peasant was as precious as the life of one nobleman or gentleman; that the property of the farmers and labourers of Ireland was as sacred as the property of all the noblemen and gentlemen in Ireland, and also immeasurably more valuable; that the Tenant Right custom should be extended to all Ulster, and adopted and enforced by common consent in the other three provinces; that every man who paid taxes should have an equal voice with every other man in the government of the State and the outlay of those taxes; that no man at present had any 'legal' rights or claim to the protection of any law and that all 'legal' and constitutional agitation in Ireland was a delusion; that every freeman, and every man who desired to become free, ought to have arms, and to practise the use of them; that no 'combination of classes' in Ireland was desirable, just, or possible save on the terms of the rights of the industrious classes being acknowledged and secured; and that no good thing could come from the English Parliament or the English Government
He claimed that slaves in the southern United States were better cared for and fed than Irish cottiers, or industrial workers in English cities like Manchester. He was explicitly racist, saying negroes were "an innately inferior people"[20] and opining "We deny that it is a crime, or a wrong, or even a peccadillo to hold slaves, to buy slaves, to keep slaves to their work by flogging or other needful correction. We wish we had a good plantation well-stocked with healthy negroes in Alabama."[21] In correspondence with his good friend John Kenyon he states that he wanted to make the people of the US "proud and fond of [slavery] as a national institution, and advocate its extension by re-opening the trade in Negroes."[22] He claimed that slavery was inherently moral and "good in itself" and stated that he "promotes it for its own sake."[ 

He equated the Confederacy with Ireland, claiming that both were agricultural economies tied into an unjust union. The Union States and England were "..the commercial, manufacturing and money-broking power ... greedy, grabbing, griping and grovelling".

tonto1888

Quote from: sid waddell on August 26, 2017, 01:09:55 AM

Silent Sid.
I'm presuming you chose the user name "Main Street" as it symbolises the gap between your ears, mate.

Still no answer to the questions out to you though. Trying to muddy the waters eh?

BennyCake

Tony Keady, Laochra Gael on just now. Footage of 1986 hurling final. Four Confederates flags on the Hill.

Just saying.

Main Street

That's over 3 decades before Sid decided to ride the high horse of hump.

sid waddell

Quote from: Main Street on September 12, 2017, 07:39:21 PM
And three decades before you were still considering the n word acceptable...

Orior

Quote from: sid waddell on September 12, 2017, 09:34:50 PM

That word is used in every Samuel L Jackson film. Every one of his films. Is he bad?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

stew

Quote from: sid waddell on August 26, 2017, 01:09:55 AM

Silent Sid.

Sidley I know neither of you, that said, I would take main street all day long and twice on Sunday over you kid, no disrespect, you are simply a boring bandwagon jumper with no imagination, a snowflake internet warrior if you will, go away son, please!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

sid waddell

Quote from: Orior on September 12, 2017, 11:21:55 PM

That word is used in every Samuel L Jackson film. Every one of his films. Is he bad?
Are you black?

You're an Armagh GAA man, aren't you? Now unless you're Joey Cunningham, I'd venture that it's unlikely you are.

stew

Quote from: sid waddell on September 13, 2017, 12:37:17 AM

Are you black?

You're an Armagh GAA man, aren't you? Now unless you're Joey Cunningham, I'd venture that it's unlikely you are.

So black men can use it, call each other it but woe betide a white man uses the n word! Double standard if ever there was one sidley.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

sid waddell

Quote from: stew on September 13, 2017, 12:49:07 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on September 13, 2017, 12:37:17 AM

Are you black?

So black men can use it, call each other it but woe betide a white man uses the n word! Double standard if ever there was one sidley.
Black women can use it too. And black transgender women. And black transgender men.

But definitely not white men.

Try out that double standard and see how you get on, you clearly fancy it.

Jell 0 Biafra

This kind of double standard is fairly common.  I've gotten used to Irish guys in NY referring to Irish people as Paddys.  Damien Dempsey does it too.  But if a British Tory Party member used that term to refer to us....

Another example is how the gay community co-opted the word 'queer' (and indeed 'gay') to refer to themselves when such terms had originally been derogatory terms used by straight people to refer to them.  There would have been a time (maybe that time is still now) when members of this community would have regarded it as OK for themselves to use these terms, but not OK for non-gays to use.