The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

City are a relentless, well-oiled machine. Sure, anything can happen, but everything points towards their winning all three remaining games with little fuss. If anything, I'd say the most likely lost points would be Liverpool away to Newcastle.

Whatever happens over the next three weeks, it's been a superb season and will end with Liverpool are in a very good place to give it another lash in the league and Champions League for the next couple of years. Think they will need to bring in someone to give another option up front. Or maybe young Brewster will help fill that role now that he's fit. Keita finally getting to grips with the job and Ox returning should give that drive from midfield that was missing at times around February when they were looking a bit toothless and tired.

J70

Quote from: Armamike on April 25, 2019, 10:41:13 AM
The draw with Manu is coming back to haunt us.  Liverpool really should have beaten a poor, injury hit Manu that day.  Anyway, it looks like City have it now.  All Liverpool can do is beat Huddersfield and keep the pressure on Man City for the Burnley game.  It will take one of those days when nothing goes right for city and Burnley to leave everything on the pitch. Has happened before, but City look too focused now.

And City should have beaten Palace... or Leicester... You can't win every game over a 38 game season. Plus Liverpool were in the midst of a poor run of form at the the time of the United game, with United themselves, injuries on the day aside, still on their own post-Mourinho bounce.

TabClear

Quote from: J70 on April 25, 2019, 10:46:12 AM
City are a relentless, well-oiled machine. Sure, anything can happen, but everything points towards their winning all three remaining games with little fuss. If anything, I'd say the most likely lost points would be Liverpool away to Newcastle.

Whatever happens over the next three weeks, it's been a superb season and will end with Liverpool are in a very good place to give it another lash in the league and Champions League for the next couple of years. Think they will need to bring in someone to give another option up front. Or maybe young Brewster will help fill that role now that he's fit. Keita finally getting to grips with the job and Ox returning should give that drive from midfield that was missing at times around February when they were looking a bit toothless and tired.

Good point. Goals from midfield is the one area we were lacking in this year. One thing I noticed is that the existing midfielders are reluctant to take shots on from outside the box preferring to play it to feet on Salah/Mane etc. While you cant argue with the results in general, a lot of those teams that sit really deep and defend in numbers make it difficult to play through. A Lampard/Gerrard type midfielder who contributes 10-12 goals a season with a decent chunk from outside the penalty area could have helped in some of those tighter games.

Still not over but the only hope I can see is either Rodgers doing something outrageous to get himself a statue at Anfield (one nil down with five to go and he throws on three forwards and sends Kasper up for a corner  ;D ;D) or Brighton needing a point on the last day and coming up with a Jose inspired masterplan involving a bus.

Armamike

Agree with all of that.  The front 3 could have done with more rest at times.  There just wasn't enough quality from the bench in that dept. But encouraging that more goals are starting to come from midfield.  Liverpool are well set up now to compete for the title for the next few years. 

That's just, like your opinion man.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: TabClear on April 25, 2019, 10:56:22 AM

Good point. Goals from midfield is the one area we were lacking in this year. One thing I noticed is that the existing midfielders are reluctant to take shots on from outside the box preferring to play it to feet on Salah/Mane etc. While you cant argue with the results in general, a lot of those teams that sit really deep and defend in numbers make it difficult to play through. A Lampard/Gerrard type midfielder who contributes 10-12 goals a season with a decent chunk from outside the penalty area could have helped in some of those tighter games.

Still not over but the only hope I can see is either Rodgers doing something outrageous to get himself a statue at Anfield (one nil down with five to go and he throws on three forwards and sends Kasper up for a corner  ;D ;D) or Brighton needing a point on the last day and coming up with a Jose inspired masterplan involving a bus.

Burnley might be good candidates to do that too as they still are not completely safe and they also have a good recent record against current champions.  It is straw grasping and they will likely be safe by the time they play City but you just never know

imtommygunn

Yeah Liverpool have to not drop anything too. I think Newcastle could be a slippery one for them as they have improved a lot.

TabClear

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 25, 2019, 11:05:46 AM
Yeah Liverpool have to not drop anything too. I think Newcastle could be a slippery one for them as they have improved a lot.

Fair point. Wolves on the last day if they are fighting for Europe will be no gimme either. Ironic that Rafa and Rodgers could have a big say in what happens!

imtommygunn

Yeah you'd be surprised if Huddersfield did anything. It's an interesting one in terms of lineup. Do you play more fringe players knowing that you've barcelona or go all out knowing that you need to win.

laoislad

Quote from: J70 on April 25, 2019, 10:51:40 AM
Quote from: Armamike on April 25, 2019, 10:41:13 AM
The draw with Manu is coming back to haunt us.  Liverpool really should have beaten a poor, injury hit Manu that day.  Anyway, it looks like City have it now.  All Liverpool can do is beat Huddersfield and keep the pressure on Man City for the Burnley game.  It will take one of those days when nothing goes right for city and Burnley to leave everything on the pitch. Has happened before, but City look too focused now.

And City should have beaten Palace... or Leicester... You can't win every game over a 38 game season. Plus Liverpool were in the midst of a poor run of form at the the time of the United game, with United themselves, injuries on the day aside, still on their own post-Mourinho bounce.
Agreed, to look back on one game and say that's the reason we didn't win the title is silly and I'm guilty of doing it myself.
If City win their final 3 games they will have won 14 in a row, hats off to them, the fact we are even in a position to be anywhere close to them is remarkable.
Club is in a good position now and I'd  expect it to be between City and Liverpool again next season, no other club is anywhere close to their level right now and I can't see it being any different next season.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

tyroneman

Liverpool have had more than thier fair share of luck this year too...

Some dubious penalties given
Mahrez missing his penalty
Pickford's mistale in injury time
Last Spurs game
Offside v West Ham
1-0 v Huddersfield

So to blame the Man U draw......

TabClear

Quote from: tyroneman on April 25, 2019, 12:00:18 PM

Last Spurs game
Offside v West Ham
1-0 v Huddersfield

Off the top of my head

Kompany not getting a red for the Salah tackle
Mane's 11mm
No penalty against Leicester ...

I do not watch the City games as closely but I am sure they had a few pieces of luck as well. At the end of a season you will always be able to identify specific incidents both ways so it will rarely come down to a single match. Even if Liverpool did not pick up another point 87 points is some going over the course of a season and if City beat that they deserve to be champions.

Taylor

Both ourselves and Liverpool have had luck this season - tell me a team that hasnt?
The only reason it is magnified is because both teams are so dominant.

Thought Utd could have got a draw playing out of their skin - they only did this for a half.

We should go on and win the PL now especially as our goal difference is also superior.

Cant see any other team challenging in the next year or two as none of the challengers have a solid spine of a team (bar Spurs but Poch probably wont get the money to spend to improve the squad)

If only we were still in CL   :'(

J70

Quote from: TabClear on April 25, 2019, 12:04:35 PM

Last Spurs game
Offside v West Ham
1-0 v Huddersfield

Off the top of my head

Mane's 11mm

I do not watch the City games as closely but I am sure they had a few pieces of luck as well. At the end of a season you will always be able to identify specific incidents both ways so it will rarely come down to a single match. Even if Liverpool did not pick up another point 87 points is some going over the course of a season and if City beat that they deserve to be champions.

You can throw in Burnley's goal where they blatantly were fouling Alisson, Mane's wrongly disallowed goal away to Arsenal.

And for all the talk of "dubious" penalties, how many weren't fouls? I'd say the one against Newcastle where Salah went down a bit too easily was very harsh, but that's about it.

tyroneman

Quote from: TabClear on April 25, 2019, 12:04:35 PM

Last Spurs game
Offside v West Ham
1-0 v Huddersfield

Off the top of my head

Mane's 11mm

That's my point - blaming the man U draw for (if it happens) losing the EPL this year is nonsense - there are a lot of ingredients that go into a title win (or loss)

Milltown Row2

Its funny how a team that just about finished 4th last year is being considered as being on a par with City for the next season or two. This season is this season, next season players might not gel as well or leave for other clubs, or get injuries. City will always be there due to their sheer depth of quality in their squad. Liverpool, bar Ox have been very lucky to have the front three and main back four all available for most of the season, a bit like the old Liverpool teams of the 80's

Hats off to both teams that have made a fist of a league, rather than the farce that was last year, still the twist in the league I feel yet.

You get the odd chance to win the league nowadays if you are a less than wealthy team, you have to grasp it when you can
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea