Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: cavan4sam on December 12, 2008, 11:58:18 AM
To be honest I think they are looking at someone from outside the county but they will not come cheap!! I know I'm on the Cavan thread here but does anyone know any outside men that are available that might be good?

I wouldn't let Stephen King manage an U-14 team, was a great player, but from what I know of him as a manager he hasn't a clue!
What sort of money would you be talking about C4Sam? I know we paid PJ Carroll 5 grand this year.We paid Big S and PaulMcCorry 7 grand between them the year we won Intermediate.Would Castlerahan pay that much?
There seems to be an awful merry-go round of managers in Cavan,some have won things but alot are just chancers who are around a long time but still havent won a thing.
Ciaran Reilly mite not be the worst man for Killeshandra.He was over Mullahoran when they won the Senior in 98.Didnt do much since but he would have some talent to work with.
Bar the Gaels and Mullahoran,I cant see any other club in Cavan attracting a big name from Ulster or anywhere else really.Paul Bealin was on huge money when he was with Mullahoran,no other club in Cavan would dream of paying what he got.

BallyhaiseMan

Really to attract a "Big Name" from outside the county you have to be one of the top 2- 3 clubs

Gowna-Eamon Coleman,Mick McCormack
Gaels-Malachy O Rourke,Gerry McCarville
Mullahoran-Pascal Canavan,Paul Bealin,Justin McNulty,Tommy Dowd
Maybe Crosserlough if you would call Ollie Murphy a big name this year,
But not too many others have attracted a big name in recent times.

hearing speculation around the town that the Gaels are going to,or have approached Joe Kernan to take them over for a year,
No way hed take it though,(possible match with Cross and his sons in Ulster Club?? )

Man Ballinagh should go after is Ciaran Brady,Has the pedigree after winning the Longford Championship this year.

Celt_Man

BallyhaiseMan, any truth to the rumour floating around that Cullivan is leaving to play with Sylvesters in Dublin?  Heard it last week and I see someone else asking the same question on hoganstand???  It would be a serious loss to ya if true or is it one of these annual rumours which do the rounds at this time of the year??
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

boojangles

Quote from: Celt_Man on December 15, 2008, 06:49:14 PM
BallyhaiseMan, any truth to the rumour floating around that Cullivan is leaving to play with Sylvesters in Dublin?  Heard it last week and I see someone else asking the same question on hoganstand???  It would be a serious loss to ya if true or is it one of these annual rumours which do the rounds at this time of the year??
Just heard that today myself,Couldnt believe it.I had heard a rumour about a Cavan player in DCU and presumed it was the stories about Jelly leaving the Gaels.I think its more or less a done deal.He has told a few people anyway I know.An awful loss for Ballyhaise,but Im sure they will recover.
The County panel was announced to the press today too. There are a few new names anyway.Gary Ferncombe and Enda McCormick from my own club.Most of the old names back in apart from Forde.No sign of Larry.John Tierney and Eamon Reilly (Chesty) are back in,So is Michael Brides.Ciaran Galligan,Anton Reilly,David Givney,Eugene Keating,Martin Reilly,Conor Smith a few of the younger lads in.

BallyhaiseMan

Celt Man
i also heard the rumour today,Seemingly its true,
Its a desperate blow to any club to lose a player of Ray Cullivans calibre.hed have been the backbone of this team and i believe the county for the next 15 years,
But as Boojangles said life will go on,we have a few lads that were on the fringes,that many in the club believed should have been playing in the first place,They will get their chance now.Drumalee battled on with Mickey Brennan,Redhills have done the same without Michael Brides
Wish Ray the best of luck with St Sylvesters,Great lad who only deserves the best.
Boojangles, any chance of you naming as many of the panel as you know? would be much appreciated

Homer

This isn't the panel that was announced but maybe someone Boojangles or someone else in the know can tell me who I'm missing or who is on the list that shouldn't be

Sean Brady
Michael Brides
Martin Cahill
Ray Cullivan
Jonathon Crowe
Rory Dunne
Keith Fannin
Ronan Flanagan
Anthony Forde
Ciaran Galligan
Raymond Galligan
David Givney
Paddy Gumley
Michael Hannon
Sean Johnston
Eugene Keating
Michael Lyng
Cian Mackey
Dermot McCabe
John McCuthceon
Michael McDonald
Mark McKeever
Lorcan Mulvey
Padraic O'Reilly
Jason O'Reilly
Gerard Pierson
Darren Rabbitte
Anton Reilly
Eamon Reilly
James Reilly
Martin Reilly
Dermot Sheridan
Conor Smith
John Tierney
Nicholas Walsh
Barry Watters

cavan4ever

Anyone see anything offical on the panel yet? 

Losing cullivan must be a major blow to you BHM. 

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Homer on December 15, 2008, 09:36:36 PM
This isn't the panel that was announced but maybe someone Boojangles or someone else in the know can tell me who I'm missing or who is on the list that shouldn't be

Sean Brady
Michael Brides
Martin Cahill
Ray Cullivan
Jonathon Crowe
Rory Dunne
Keith Fannin
Ronan Flanagan
Anthony Forde
Ciaran Galligan
Raymond Galligan
David Givney
Paddy Gumley
Michael Hannon
Sean Johnston
Eugene Keating
Michael Lyng
Cian Mackey
Dermot McCabe
John McCuthceon
Michael McDonald
Mark McKeever
Lorcan Mulvey
Padraic O'Reilly
Jason O'Reilly
Gerard Pierson
Darren Rabbitte
Anton Reilly
Eamon Reilly
James Reilly
Martin Reilly
Dermot Sheridan
Conor Smith
John Tierney
Nicholas Walsh
Barry Watters

Forde isn't on it according to reports

cavan4ever

Cavan provisional squad 2009:

Goalkeepers: James Reilly (Drung), Eoghan Elliot (Cavan Gaels), Brian Coleman (Castlerahan)

Defenders: Michael Brides (Oliver Plunkett's), Johnny Crowe (Crosserlough), John McCutcheon (Cootehill), Keith Fannin, Michael Hannon (Drumgoon), Mark McKeever (Gowna), Padraig O'Reilly (Ballinagh), Barry Watters (Drung), Rory Dunne (Redhills), Eamonn Reilly (Cavan Gaels), Paul Brady, Dermot Sheridan (Mullahoran), Ronan Flanagan (Castlerahan), Martin Cahill (Denn), Dane O'Dowd (Drumlane), Enda McCormack, Gary Ferncombe (Drumalee)

Midifelders: Dermot McCabe (Gowna), Ciaran Galligan (Drung), Nicholas Walsh (Cavan Gaels), Lorcan Mulvey (Butlersbridge), John Cunningham (Swanlinbar)

Forwards: Raymond Galligan (Lacken), John Tierney (Knockbride), David Givney (Mountnugent), Micheál Lyng, Sean Johnston (Cavan Gaels), Gerard Pierson (Gowna), Anton O'Reilly (Ramor Utd), James Clarke (Kilinkere), Ronan O'Reilly (Kildallan), Martin Reilly (Killygarry), Paddy Gumley (Redhills), Jason O'Reilly (Belturbet), Sean Brady, Cian Mackey (Castlerahan), Conor Smith (Cuchullains), Eddie O'Reilly (Mullahoran), Ray Cullivan (Ballyhaise)

cavan4sam

Thanks C4ever, where did you get this from?

I didn't know that Brian Coleman had been called in as a Goalkeeper, if only we could get him to play there for us. No major shocks.

I'm having trouble with my eyes today but I don't Eugene Keatings name there? I know he is on the panel.

cavan4ever

Quote from: cavan4sam on December 16, 2008, 12:16:00 PM
Thanks C4ever, where did you get this from?

I didn't know that Brian Coleman had been called in as a Goalkeeper, if only we could get him to play there for us. No major shocks.

I'm having trouble with my eyes today but I don't Eugene Keatings name there? I know he is on the panel.

Sorry hoganstand http://www.hoganstand.com/cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=104862

cavan4sam

Ah right cheers, I don't see his name on that either, I know he was at the training on Saturday.

cavan4ever

Quote from: cavan4sam on December 16, 2008, 12:24:55 PM
Ah right cheers, I don't see his name on that either, I know he was at the training on Saturday.

Im not sure but i though i say his name in the Cavan Post.

mylestheslasher

Midfielders look a bit thin on the ground there. Where is that McDonald lad from Drumgoon. He did ok as a late arrival in the summer (minus the months of county training). Would a run in the McKenna cup be good for him? Maybe he is not interested.

Celt_Man

I think McDonald suffers from the chronic problem of not being good enough... a decent club footballer but it's some step up to inter county level especially in mid field
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010