Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 09, 2017, 01:39:58 PM
Fabulous. Fantastic. Class. That is all.

He actually said it was a terrific performance and we got more scores than Tipperary.

Westside

Couldn't bring myself to post yesterday after that fiasco.

-We played for 20 minutes and got the 6 point lead through a lot of long range scores. It wasn't sustainable, you won't hit scores from the 45 on the outside of the boot for a whole game. For the last 10 or 15 minutes of the first half we passed around midfield with no urgency and it seemed the players thought they were 'controlling the tempo' and would be able to keep their noses in front and win without a massive effort.

-For the second game in a row, we got absolutely decimated at midfield. I can't recall us winning even one kickout or break in the second half. If I hadn't seen Cavan execute a highly functioning kickout strategy last year, I'd be saying Ray Galligan was the problem but it's the system. It looks like they have a system in place, shouting a code based on the area of the pitch the ball was going to. It failed and failed in spectacular fashion.

-Cian Mackey is Cavan's best player. He tried, as he did against Offaly, to lead the fight for Cavan but he wasn't getting the traction. He was being fouled smartly once he went past half way. When Mackey couldn't do it for us, nobody else did.

-Caoimhin Reilly had a solid first half. Got on the ball, kicked two nice scores. Then bizarrely in the second half, despite being inside when we didn't even make it into the Tipp 45 for long periods, went down with cramp (after kicking a bad wide when the game had gone tits up...) and had to be subbed. I don't know if this was lack of fitness or what.

-Ryan Connolly, I don't like criticising a young lad but he failed to make a single positive contribution. I thought after the Offaly game that he could settle a bit more as he got game time at this level, he seems to be getting worse.

-We can't tackle. Remember when we got numbers backed, stood men up and hassled and harried and turned it over? That doesn't happen. We now dive in rashly one by one until the opposition can get their shot away or we foul them and give away a free.

-The most depressing thing about it, it felt Longford in 2011. We phoned it in for a half of football and were ahead. When Tipp upped it in the second half we didn't want to know about it. There was no sign of a team that was united, no sign of a team that had faith in the game plan or the manager.

- Johnston actually looked like one of the few that really wanted to win the game when he came on. He tried to rally the troops and wanted to get involved and make a difference. It could well be his last game in a Cavan jersey but he's a player from a different era and I think he knows that himself. He was a wonderful talent in his prime but the game has changed.

- McGleenan. I don't like blaming the manager for all of our woes. We lack players with the natural talent to play at the top level. However, yesterday wasn't the top level. There was no facet of our play, apart from our long range shooting in the first half, that worked. Kickout strategy didn't work, man to man defending was awful (players diving in, rounded on the end line on several occasions) our cohesion up front, killer instinct (Mossy and Gearoid through on goal in the first half, could have put an even bigger lead up, and fisted it over) and just the general desire from the team didn't seem to be there.
McGleenan has won 2 games in league and championship all year. I don't think he's getting the best out of the players. I also think the players aren't as good as they think they are, and are only too happy to convince themselves it's the managers fault.
There's no right answer here but if the players aren't happy now, they won't be any happier come next winter when training starts. If they want rid of him, do it now and get it over and done with. We haven't seen anything, anything at all to show us that he's the man to improve this team. That said, I don't believe we will see big results no matter who we bring in. It's a poisoned chalice of the highest degree.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Itchy on July 09, 2017, 01:21:09 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on July 09, 2017, 11:25:43 AM

Lads this was such a bizarre appointment from the start

Just interested to know why you think that?

I don't know anyone who considered Mattie - nice fella that he is - remotely capable of coaching at county level. His record and reputation were very poor until Scotstown. On the face of Scotstown, there were solid achievements but if you know Monaghan club football you know that they should be winning the championship perpetually in that period. His reputation around schools football and MacRory cup in particular is probably the most telling analysis.

cavanmaniac

I've always advised giving him time to settle, but that's a first full league and championship done and the initial question marks that became concerns are now alarm bells. This was a matchup that provided an ideal platform for this manager and players at this stage of development. Now it looks like we tried to shake things up managerially and made an appointment that regressed us. He's unlikely to be jettisoned so quickly, so is there any flicker of hope he'll get it together over the coming months? I think none of us have any confidence.

Itchy

Let's hope our minors can give the county a much needed lift on Sunday. Anyone know who is the favourites? I presume Derry as they came from the supposed harder side of the draw. A win would give them a super chance of making the all Ireland semi as they'd be playing what I believe is an ordinary enough sligo team.

mrdeeds

There no odds for underage games anymore but Derry would be favourites. I wouldn't be confident just for the fact that we play naively and a well set up team would kill us.

Also with regards senior team one player said that the strength and conditioning was better with his club than with the county team. Would explain all the injuries and lack of fitness.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 14, 2017, 10:15:38 AM
There no odds for underage games anymore but Derry would be favourites. I wouldn't be confident just for the fact that we play naively and a well set up team would kill us.

Also with regards senior team one player said that the strength and conditioning was better with his club than with the county team. Would explain all the injuries and lack of fitness.

That's bad. Fitness in every game I saw this year was an issue, we couldn't maintain intensity to the end.

Itchy

Another disappointing day yesterday. Derry were well drilled, very slick and lethal in front of the posts but I am sure that the Cavan management knew that before the game. Seems to me that no attempt was made to counter that. However, Derry identified our midfield as the key and put a big squeeze on there and wiped us out. Why am I always watching Cavan games and wondering why our opposition is more tactically astute. For example in the first 15 minutes yesterday we kicked every kick out to our midfield, didn't win one and were 6 points down. There was simply no plan for that happening. If we have broke even there we could have run them very close.

Our much vaunted midfield pairing looked to me to lack pace and aggression on the basis of this game, allowing Derry to drive past them. I was impressed with Madden who always wanted the ball and same of Pierson. The keeper was good too despite an unfortunate howler for the goals. The full back line is really weak, no pace, dreadful tackling and intelligence ( jumping into tackles they have no chance to win). Maybe occasion got to done if then but I'd reckon there are only 3 players there that will make the senior team.

mrdeeds

Itchy the problem is another manager whose idea of tactics is go out and play football.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 17, 2017, 10:36:17 AM
Itchy the problem is another manager whose idea of tactics is go out and play football.

Surely to god there are some men in the county with a clue that could take some of these teams?

mrdeeds

Quote from: Itchy on July 17, 2017, 11:26:25 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on July 17, 2017, 10:36:17 AM

Surely to god there are some men in the county with a clue that could take some of these teams?

There was an outstanding candidate for the job but he didn't get it. Problem is lads get jobs if they have connections or do a good interview even though that means absolutely nothing.

Westside

Agree with everything you said Itchy. I did think that Smith looked like he was growing into the game before the black. Did anyone see what it was for? He was a big loss. Patterson didn't have a good game. I was impressed with Madden, keen to get on the ball. Thought Tiernan Reilly looked good when he came on, surprised he wasn't starting. It was encouraging to see how the players fought so hard to stay in touch with Derry for so long even though it seemed obvious from early on that they were playing a superior side.

Derry looked purposeful, a well drilled and professional outfit. Managers and water carriers and selectors all giving short consistent instructions from the line. We looked like a team of 15 players that were told to go out and 'go at them'. Serious lack of tactical thinking. We were being wiped in the full back line and midfield and absolutely nothing was done.
That said, Derry were on a different level physically. I don't think that we would have beaten them no matter what the tactics employed. That midfielder they brought on in the second half for all the world looked like a County Senior.

Itchy

Black card was for a foot trip. It was a ridiculous decision by a very poor ref who didn't look fit enough to run a 5k never mind keep up with play. If there was a trip it was totally accidental as the players just collided. Can't understand how referee cannot use a bit of cop on and ask themselves "was that cynical and intentional". But sure this is where gaa try out these referees and I've no doubt that lad will one day be reffing big games in the future despite being crap.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Itchy on July 14, 2017, 04:21:49 PM

That's bad. Fitness in every game I saw this year was an issue, we couldn't maintain intensity to the end.

The first steps in solving this are happening with s and c coach gone. Probably will be one or two more changes to backroom team.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 24, 2017, 06:46:47 PM
Quote from: Itchy on July 14, 2017, 04:21:49 PM

The first steps in solving this are happening with s and c coach gone. Probably will be one or two more changes to backroom team.

Did he walk or was he pushed?