Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verbal Kint

Long time reader, first time poster!
Interesting to see the county board have gone for a relatively unknown man to replace Grimley!
Seems like Tyrone have a tradition in team trainers with Tally, McElkannon, Harte, McIver etc
Hopefully the new man can be as good as them!

mylestheslasher

If I am reading the right the new man is more of a physical trainer than a manager/coach - is that right? If so, that leaved Keoghan as the "brains" of the operation which is a recipe for complete disaster. Anyone know any details on this new man and why he might have left Fermanagh?

Welcome aboard Verbal kint

Homer

Welcome to the board Kaiser  ;)

Have to say I was expecting a bigger name but can't fault the installation til I here more about him.

To me the reports come across, as if the decision did not involve Keoghan and was made almost entirely by the County Board.

Kentucky Blue

Anyone think Belturbet have a decent chance against Cavan gaels at the weekend?

I seen Loneshark put up odds on the game on another thread, the bookies certainly dont think so making the Gael's 1/4 shot's!

cavanmaniac

Interesting that appointment. Does it not seem that Keogan is effectively emasculated by all this? At least Grimley was a partner of his own choosing and had recognisable credentials as a football man who could make decisions on the team and so on, this new fella seems very inexperienced and might not be able to do that. The thoughts of Keogan in sole control makes my eyes water.

We can only wait and see, at least he's in place in time to take in a few club matches to assess players and if we meet Tyrone at some level might help us finally get a win over them.  ;)

Hollow Man

Ballinagh by 4 and Gaynor sent off! Again!

Our Nail Loney

Was Ballinagh playing Cavan Gaels?

KIDDO

Cavan Gaels ,defeated Belturbet, in the Cavan senior championship tonight

anglocelt39

Quote from: Hollow Man on September 15, 2007, 07:26:48 PM
Ballinagh by 4 and Gaynor sent off! Again!

Thanks but no thanks for that, anyway as an East Cavan exile it's progress of a sort, hope we can kick on next year. Gaynor, well what can you say. Any windup involved, any ex county players involved in same??
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

Ah jaysus not again :o

can nobody control the man or what is it?

how many sendings off is that over the last 2 or 3 years.

was he wound up again or what?

Hear mad Eddie Reily is playing great stuff at midfield for Mullahoran.

Supposedly It was Grimleys doing that him and Gaynor werent on the panel this year(what my source on the county panel has told me)
With Grimley gone,
would love to see Eddie on the panel again.
at midfield with McCabe moving to Centre Half Forward.

Homer

So its Ballinagh v Lavey in the Intermediate final 2007.

Just on the Gaynor sending off, it was two yellow cards and in my honest (if admittedly somewhat biased) opinion a bit harsh. However after receiving his marching orders Gaynor lost it and gave the ref some abuse that could well land him a suspension. ::) Thats 3 dismissals in two years BHM, can't remember exactly his stats for 2005 but the average would go up considerably.

Anyway back to the football. Ballinagh were first out of the blocks clocking up a 1-6 to 0-2 lead after fifteen minutes, Niall McDermott grabbing (1-1) with Gaynor causing havoc for the Bailieborough defense at full forward. Bailieborough moved Andy Coleman out to centre half affectively changing the game with Coleman showing some very impressive fielding. A 40-yard free from the shamrocks came back of the crossbar and Patrick Byrd was on hand to punch it home. Ballinagh going into the break with a 1-6 to 1-4 advantage.

Bailieborough continued their spell of dominance in the second half. Ten minutes in with Bailieborough trailing by the minimum Gaynor got the line and moments later they landed there second goal leaving the score Bailieborugh 2-5 Ballinagh 1-6.

This was the wake up call Ballinagh needed with every player upping their game. Points from David Finnegan and Niall McDermott restored Ballinagh's lead then a fast paced attack ended with Terry Smith grabbing his second goal in as many games. Bailieborough pulled one back but never looked like grabbing a third elusive goal and it ended Ballinagh 2-10 Bailieborough 2-6.

Andy Coleman really stood out for Bailieborough. As for ourselves Podge was excellent in defense but man of the match had to be Niall McDermott. Still has us scratching our heads as to why he didn't merit a position on the county minor team this year but he is underage next year and very much one to look out for.

In the corresponding semi-final Lavey defeated Drumlane in an exciting finish after a predominantly lacklustre affair Lavey 0-9 Drumlane 0-8. Finbar Jordan produced a fine display at CHB. Declan Murphy also came on after returning from a summer in the US, he landed an excellent point and looked very sharp.

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on September 17, 2007, 04:10:26 PM
Supposedly It was Grimleys doing that him and Gaynor werent on the panel this year(what my source on the county panel has told me)
With Grimley gone,
would love to see Eddie on the panel again.
at midfield with McCabe moving to Centre Half Forward.

Would agree with Eddie's reintroduction to the panel but midfield BHM? Really can't see any hope of him cutting it there.

Handball Ace

Any opinions on the Cavan Voice?

Interesting to see Dermot McCabe writing a column...

BallyhaiseMan

Good strength in depth you have there Homer
being able to bring Paul Galligan and Damien McInerney off the bench.
id say id expect you to beat Lavey,but i said the same last year against Drumalee and jinxed yas  :D

CC1

I said the same, went down to see the first IFC final last year and it looked like Ballinagh did what we do every year... They just froze and didn't play at all, it resulted in one of the poorest matches I think I've ever seen in Breffni ending 8 points a piece.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Kentucky Blue

FAO Ballyhaise Man - Keep an eye out for 'Lesser Spotted Ulster' next Tuesday night (25th) with Joe Mahon.
You're lovely parish is in the limelight!  :)