Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Quote from: Myra mains on July 07, 2015, 08:43:53 PM
Quote from: Westside on July 07, 2015, 08:19:30 PM
Any manager who comes in and asks Johnston onto the panel will automatically prove himself not up to the job. A player well past his best and the most surefire way of causing a split in the camp. It won't happen.

For me, Peter Reilly has to have first refusal on the job. Every Cavan team is now managed by a Cavan person and it needs to stay that way. Our underage successes have all come with Cavan managers at the helm. People want to follow the example of the top counties, then why not in this respect? The people on HS calling for James Horan and Jim McGuinness are embarrassing.
lads ye would need to seek facts before going to print. There are too many players not on the panel the split is already there. At least half the current panel have no problem with Johnstons return if he adds to the setup. Listen to Hylands interview after the game against Ross. Listen to the shite he talked about the mossy sending off and what he knew about it. Pure shite talk.listen to his interviews about players who left the panel during the year. Pure shite if you know the real story . I know why 1 particular player left and it not anything like the story Hyland protrays. It's the exact opposite. He's a shite talker who's starting to lose respect and get found out. Johnston won't play under anything that Forde is involved in . But he will play for Cavan again as will Tierney Givney Keating.

At least half the panel have no problem with Johnston's return.... What about the other half!? He'll never return. For any new manager bringing him back in would be high risk with limited potential return.
Keating would be welcomed back with open arms given our lack of physicality in the inside forward line. I suppose Givney is a decent squad option. As for Tierney, another man who has become an All Star since he left the squad. Was half decent at U21 level, added very little in his time on the Senior Panel.

Itchy

myra Hindley. You do realise when a manager gives an interview what he says is for the benefit of the players in his dressing room and not for the gobshites like your good self. I also have a good laugh about Tierney. He got loads of games last year in the league and did damn all and if he went off in a sulk then says more about him. Johnston is finished, could make kildares team and they gave no forward. Keating is ok but would want to engage his brain the odd time, likewise givney. Best players are on the panel. Id leave hyland where he is or maybe peter Reilly if terry wants to go.

Myra mains

Quote from: Itchy on July 07, 2015, 10:23:18 PM
myra Hindley. You do realise when a manager gives an interview what he says is for the benefit of the players in his dressing room and not for the gobshites like your good self. I also have a good laugh about Tierney. He got loads of games last year in the league and did damn all and if he went off in a sulk then says more about him. Johnston is finished, could make kildares team and they gave no forward. Keating is ok but would want to engage his brain the odd time, likewise givney. Best players are on the panel. Id leave hyland where he is or maybe peter Reilly if terry wants to go.
suppose your right let's stick with Dunnie R Flanagan McVitty Argue geat forwards eh? Or better still we should have more under 21s coming through next year lets wait for them or even the St Pats lads...let me tell you 1 thing  an unfit Johnston Keating Giveny in the full forward line  would be 100% better than anything we have tried this year. It's remarkable that Johnston has become such a poor player since he left Cavan despite being the best forward in the Cavan senior championship last year and proving this by his scores from play. I'd love to see Johnston back even if it just winds up PPL like you and other posters on here. Least it will give you something to talk and complain about deflect away from the real playing issues . Hylands claim to fame as a Senior championship manager will be getting us to an All Ireland Quarter and who am I to disrespect that feat. His major success of the 2015 championship is beating London . Now that's no mean feat either.He will be judged as a Senior manager on his results just like he was as an u21 manager.

cavanmaniac

Anyone know if there's a block/ignore function on here?

beer baron

Very disappointing performance Saturday. Few points in particular which really got me.

Fear of shooting from distance:
Our game in general is about setting up solid defensively and  then trying to work an opening for a simple score but in the second half when Roscommon were sitting back and soaking up all the pressure we surely should've had more men willing and able to score from 45 yards. Gearoid,Martin Reilly and Dj are 3 all well able but each turned down numerous opportunites to go for a point and then we'd lose the ball and concede on the break.

Mc Hale impact/lack of:
This man i've heard mentioned as the next manager,i for one hope it's not the case, he was apparently brought in to bring in more creativity to the side and he has failed woefully if that is the case.
Despite what Roscommon scored the other day i still think we're defensively strong and other than their early goal we dealt reasonably well with their forwards up until the sending off and seemed to get a few soft frees given against us,Fergal Flanagan conceded one in particular that i found a baffling decision from the ref. It's our lack of forwards/forward play that cost us,Argue's a good player but FF's not the position for him unless they give him a proper run there before next years Championship and he develops but this carry on this year was asking too much off him.

Subsitutions:

Mackey's a very good footballer but he shouldn't have started the game the other day or if he did should've been taken off as he clearly didn't have enough in him for 70 minutes of football at this level.  Damien Reilly had a poor game for a man that's usually very consistent and didn't look to have his usual determination and aggression in the tackle,he had his arm heavily strapped and perhaps he again should have been taken off a lot earlier and Michael Argue was having no luck in side at all so why wasn't he either given a decent run out the field or taken off and Gearoid put in? He was taken off with about 2 minutes to go and Gearoid was put inside,what was Gearoid expected to do score a few goals in no time whatsoever?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Myra mains on July 08, 2015, 06:18:23 AM
suppose your right let's stick with Dunnie R Flanagan McVitty Argue geat forwards eh? Or better still we should have more under 21s coming through next year lets wait for them or even the St Pats lads...let me tell you 1 thing  an unfit Johnston Keating Giveny in the full forward line  would be 100% better than anything we have tried this year. It's remarkable that Johnston has become such a poor player since he left Cavan despite being the best forward in the Cavan senior championship last year and proving this by his scores from play. I'd love to see Johnston back even if it just winds up PPL like you and other posters on here. Least it will give you something to talk and complain about deflect away from the real playing issues . Hylands claim to fame as a Senior championship manager will be getting us to an All Ireland Quarter and who am I to disrespect that feat. His major success of the 2015 championship is beating London . Now that's no mean feat either.He will be judged as a Senior manager on his results just like he was as an u21 manager.

I don't suppose you are Cavan Gaels club member by any chance Myra? No one I think has a problem with Keating, Givney or Tierney coming back and I agree they would be an addition. Flanagan didn't play corner forward against Roscommon, he floated around on the 40 but I am sure you noticed that. Niall McDermott was the player you didn't seem to notice that has been playing in the FF line. As I've said already the Argue experiment at FF did not work but at least it was tried, if it wasnt tried you and your ilk would be moaning about that too. I find it hilarious that for years so many Cavan Gaels players wouldnt commit for the county and some that did brought a stinking attitude with them. Now they and their families/fans clubs are on whinging that they are not involved.

rodney trotter

Turloc Mooney fully fit would be a addition in the half forward line. Tierney has good size, he didn't spark when given the chance before at Senior but would be worth another go, still 24.

Along with Keating and Givney, that would be 4 players who bring more strength to Cavan forward line.

Myra mains

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 08, 2015, 11:46:22 AM
Quote from: Myra mains on July 08, 2015, 06:18:23 AM

I don't suppose you are Cavan Gaels club member by any chance Myra? No one I think has a problem with Keating, Givney or Tierney coming back and I agree they would be an addition. Flanagan didn't play corner forward against Roscommon, he floated around on the 40 but I am sure you noticed that. Niall McDermott was the player you didn't seem to notice that has been playing in the FF line. As I've said already the Argue experiment at FF did not work but at least it was tried, if it wasnt tried you and your ilk would be moaning about that too. I find it hilarious that for years so many Cavan Gaels players wouldnt commit for the county and some that did brought a stinking attitude with them. Now they and their families/fans clubs are on whinging that they are not involved.
nial mc dermott wasn't really on the pitch long enough but the time he spent on the pitch he spent it in his own half back line . No I'm not Cavan Gaels Rory to disappoint you. But I do admire 2 footed scoring forwards from whatever clubs they come from. Typical 1970s buffoon like yourself will always bring what club you are in chatting about county football team. The point I'm making is a fit Johnston is better than anything on view this year. If younger players can step up and prove we don't need him well step up . So far no forward has. None! Nial mc dermott is the only forward from 4 u21 winning teams to step up a bit. That's why I'd call Johnston back. If he's learned his lesson and grown up well he's got the ability. Nothing to do with what club he's from. Time to grow up lads . He didn't murder anyone. Get over it .

comeysfield

Myra there is a place in the world for you called the hogan stand.  You have made a point you want Johnston back  grand stop winding. We need a Half forward line that can break a tackle or play a pass. We just do not have that. No discussion at County Board meeting on Monday apparently will be discussed next Monday night so interesting to see if Hyland makes a decision in advance and how the clubs feel

Myra mains

Quote from: comeysfield on July 08, 2015, 06:05:37 PM
Myra there is a place in the world for you called the hogan stand.  You have made a point you want Johnston back  grand stop winding. We need a Half forward line that can break a tackle or play a pass. We just do not have that. No discussion at County Board meeting on Monday apparently will be discussed next Monday night so interesting to see if Hyland makes a decision in advance and how the clubs feel
Comeysfield there a lot more wrong than a half forward line breaking a tackle or giving a pass. R Flanagan wasn't in the game against London yet was selected against Roscommon. McKiernan although scoring 1-6 against London works himself into blind alleys takes way too much out of the ball against better teams like Roscommon. McEnroe struggled at full back against lesser London after Rory Dunne went off yet was persisted with for the Roscommon game . Also would really love to know what instructions are given to Fergal Flanagan . There no method to anything he does. It's crash bang wallop stuff. I know he was subbed because of an early yellow against Rosscommon but he's not worth his place . Too much of a loose cannon. The Argue trick will only work in short spells and only if a player like Dunnie or McDermott is playing inside off him. Maybe switch between a 2 and 3 man full forward line as we switch the type of ball in. Mc Vitty carrying out of defense when a quicker long ball is the option . We seem to be playing to a rehearsed drill and the players are afraid to make mistakes. We need more off the cuff stuff in the forward line and let players express themselves.

Itchy

Who would you play at full back Myra? Also in reference to your previous post saying Seanie has learnt his lesson, I find that interesting and I've a few questions for you on it since you came on here shouting and roaring in a foul mouthed tirade.
1. You say he learnt a lesson. How'd you know he learnt his lesson, I don't recall him expressing regret or any apology to anyone.
2. If he learnt a lesson I presume then you agree he was in the wrong initially in what he did.
3. If he was in the wrong and learnt his lesson, I presume you'll agree Cavan management were right to drop him in order to learn his lesson.
4. He ain't very smart is old Seanie as the other players removed from the panel with him learned theirs lesson much quicker than him and returned to the panel

Myra mains

Quote from: Itchy on July 08, 2015, 10:30:52 PM
Who would you play at full back Myra? Also in reference to your previous post saying Seanie has learnt his lesson, I find that interesting and I've a few questions for you on it since you came on here shouting and roaring in a foul mouthed tirade.
1. You say he learnt a lesson. How'd you know he learnt his lesson, I don't recall him expressing regret or any apology to anyone.
2. If he learnt a lesson I presume then you agree he was in the wrong initially in what he did.
3. If he was in the wrong and learnt his lesson, I presume you'll agree Cavan management were right to drop him in order to learn his lesson.
4. He ain't very smart is old Seanie as the other players removed from the panel with him learned theirs lesson much quicker than him and returned to the panel
Itchy read my post properly first. I said IF he has learned a lesson. Secondly the rights and wrongs of what happened is water under the bridge. My point is on last years club championship form he's better than anything on show for our Senior team in this years championship.? Now you can moan all you like about what he did and what he didn't do but the end result is the same .. He's a scoring forward something we don't have . As is Barry Reilly. Did he get s fair crack at it from the management? No he didn't. Hyland has said if a player performing at club level then he will be considered. That wasnt the case. Now I have it on good authority that Hyland will stay on next year. Watch for a few more high profile players leaving. At least 2. Come back and tell us all about the great spirit in the Camp !

tommysmith

How has he played for Gaels this year Myra?

rodney trotter

What is your point Myra? Johnston had ankle surgery a few months, ago.. it was known before  Christmas he had a problem with his ankle so he couldn't have been picked for the County anyway regardless.

I don't think he has played 1 game for the Gaels this year

Myra mains

Quote from: tommysmith on July 09, 2015, 08:19:31 AM
How has he played for Gaels this year Myra?
who mentioned this year?