Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on May 02, 2013, 07:43:23 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on May 02, 2013, 11:43:05 AM
Has Donahoe any connection with the Drumreilly club these days? He has been with Gowna over ten years and was a selector with Gowna under Eamonn Coleman. Suppose if the Minors were going well it wouldn't matter where he was from.

Shaun Doherty a Fermanagh man is joint manager of St Pats Brock team. Peter Donnelly from Tyrone is Cavan Gaa Development Coach. Be great if it was Cavan men, but they are doing well since Walsh went to Oz.

He had a big falling out with Drumreilly as far as I know. That's why he went to Gowna in the first place. Was Donohoe with Kildallan?? Didn't know that.. I know he was with Ballinamore and did the same sort of nothing there.

Would be nice to see Jason Reilly or some other former player take control for next year.

I think it was Gavin Hartin who was over Kildallon. Don't think Donahoe would have been over them when managing Cavan Minors.

Jason is still with Lacken. for this year anyway. He was a selector for a year in Mickey Grahams final  year as Minor manager, so he would have experience of the Minor scene.

Mickybingo

Jason Reilly is going to be a good manager. Lacken are struggling this year though! Donohoe was definitely with Kildallon last year after the Cavan Minors were beaten.  Think the next Minor Manager should be someone capable of managing the best team in Cavan, maybe Joe O Connor.

rodney trotter

Lacken have a few bad injuries this year, Trevor Crowe is out for the year with a shoulder injury and Nevin McKiernan with cruciate injury. Few other lads carrying injuries aswell

boojangles

Jesus lads lay off Gary Donohoe a bit would ye. He was the manager (not sidekick) when we finally won a Minor Championship in Ulster after a gap of 37 years. He wasn't the first choice for the job at the time but he got it and brought us success. The County Board are hardly going to sack him a few weeks before the first championship match. I know a few lads who speak highly of him from his time in Belturbet and I know the Kildallan boys had good time for him when he helped out last year.
I would be more worried about some decisions being made at the moment regarding the club Minor fixtures, or lack of in the county or the moves to pull out all the full-time coaches from the National schools.
And Rodney listen to Westside; Gary Donohoe is from Drumreilly in Leitrim. His brother Pat won a Connaught medal in 1994 for Leitrim.

rodney trotter

I don't think anyone said to sack him before the championship booj, I acklowledgend that he was from Drumreilly and asked had he any connection with the club now.

Hopefully the minors beat Armagh. We beat them already no reason why we cant do it again.

this quote from a few weeks ago gave him some backing
Re: Official Cavan GAA Thread

« Reply #12444 on: April 06, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »

Modify
Remove

Surely winning a Minor Championship 2 years ago should give him some lay way, despite the mistakes last year against Donegal..

anglocelt39

Sensible enough stuff there Booj
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Westside

Quote from: boojangles on May 03, 2013, 01:35:59 AM
Jesus lads lay off Gary Donohoe a bit would ye. He was the manager (not sidekick) when we finally won a Minor Championship in Ulster after a gap of 37 years. He wasn't the first choice for the job at the time but he got it and brought us success. The County Board are hardly going to sack him a few weeks before the first championship match. I know a few lads who speak highly of him from his time in Belturbet and I know the Kildallan boys had good time for him when he helped out last year.
I would be more worried about some decisions being made at the moment regarding the club Minor fixtures, or lack of in the county or the moves to pull out all the full-time coaches from the National schools.
And Rodney listen to Westside; Gary Donohoe is from Drumreilly in Leitrim. His brother Pat won a Connaught medal in 1994 for Leitrim.

I may be going a bit hard on him but I never suggested sacking him at this stage. I know Belturbet lads who wouldn't have any time for him, didn't he pull out with a few games to go and leave them without a manager for their last few games the year he was in charge? He's not well liked around Ballinamore since his time there either. If he was the main man in the last two years he should have had to answer for leaving the shambles against Donegal in the first round when we still had a nice few Ulster Medalists on the team. I'd be only delighted if he made me eat my words but I don't see it happening.

Why are they moving to pull coaches from schools? Funding?

rodney trotter

Itchy

Meath team

Robbie Burlingham; Mickey Burke, Bryan Menton, Caolan Young; Seamus Kenny, Caoimhin King, Padraig Harnan; Conor Gillespie, Peadar Byrne; David larkin, Andrew Tormey, Graham Reilly; Sean Tobin, Joe Sheridan, Dalton McDonagh.

mylestheslasher

Well its good to hear we had a sizable win over Meath in that challenge game. Normally at this time of the year we hear the horror stories about some fella leaving the panel of a challenge match defeat by 10 points to Leitrim etc etc. Just for some debate...

First half team (don't know their positions, but as per the program)
James Reilly
Jason McLoughlin
Rory Dunne
Dara Tighe
Padraig Reilly
Alan Clarke
Michael Brady
Killian Clarke
David Givney
Mark McKeever
Barry Reilly
Chris Conroy
Oisin O Connell
Martin Dunne
Kevin Tierney

Second half team (Likewise but I'll give rough guess)
James Reilly
Oisin Minagh
James McEnroe
Damien Barkey
Josh Hayes
Fergal Flanagan
Dara McVitty
John McCutcheon
Killian Clarke
Turloch Mooney
Martin Reilly
Cian Mackey
Niall McDermott
Eugene Keating
Ronan Flanagan

So missing in action were Thomas Corr, Declan McKiernan and Damien Reilly (anyone else?). It just shows there is competition for every place and thats a good start!

rodney trotter

Meath had a few players with club games last night that were missing a few like Stehen Bray, Michael Newman, Kevin Reilly, Brian Farrell. Good win, Cavan were suppose to have been very sharp.

Some good options with Kevin Tierney back. Turloch Mooney done well when he came on,.

mylestheslasher

Well after the league there were two issues with the team for me. The first was the full back line and how easily it was cut open whenever teams broke through our front line defence. The second for me was the poor scoring spread, especially from half forwards.

When I look at the players we have that togged yesterday I see some options in the backs - Dunne  is back from injury, Mcloughlin is a good man marker, Clarke is an option anywhere from the FB line to midfield in my opinion.

We now also have some guys on there that can kick a point Tierney, Conroy, Barry Reilly, Mooney etc.

I suppose the only problem is not overloading the team with too many young lads and getting over powered against Armagh. Still, if we are beating Meath in two halves with two different line ups and are looking strong and sharp then maybe we can rattle the orchard men.

Westside

McCutcheon with two goals could have pushed closer to a starting place. Good to see fierce competition for places that can only be good, but I'm sure Terry will have no trouble in choosing what he sees as his best 15.

Anyone at the game to give a report?

rodney trotter

McCutcheon was outstanding last year with Cootehill in midfield. That's where he usually plays for them, with  G McKiernan out injured he is a good option for that position, if Corr is carrying an Injury.

whats my name

from what i hear corr is defo out for the armagh game he has a bad hamstring injury