Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breffni_Yank

Following a very encouraging start against Derry in celtic park last Sunday, Cavan will be hoping to find a winning combination against Donegal in their first home game of the year. The management have stuck with 13 players who featured last Sunday and added Killeshandra's Declan McKiernan along side Cootehill's John McCutcheon who is no stranger to Cavan supporters.

Fintan Reilly

Barry Waters, Sean McCormack, Damien Barkey,

Dane O'Dowd, Padraic O'Reilly, John McCutcheon,

Gearoid McKiernan, David Givney,

Niall Smith, Declan McKiernan, Stephen Jordan,

Niall McDermott, Eugene Keating, Raymond Galligan,

tierworker blue

Did'nt make it to Breffni today (damn this work getting in the way of watching ball!) Good win it seems.
Any reports?

BallyhaiseMan

Cavan 1-14 Donegal 2-08

We made it very hard for ourselves today, we were 10 points a better team than Donegal,but due to poor shooting and dropping the ball short into the goalkeepers hands,Donegal countered and scored on the break.
Virtually all the good pieces of play came from Cavan.

1. Fintan Reily
Kickouts were in the most part good,had no chance with the goal.

2.Barry Watters
Absolutely outstanding,
His marker brought him out around the midfield area, where he had a serious impact. He was at the heart of nearly all of Cavan's best play.

3.Sean McCormack
Sean wasn't in the game very much,he hadn't a hell of alot to do and touched the ball no more than  a handful of times. Solid

4.Damien Barkey,
He went off injured after about 1o minutes
(Replaced by Fergal Slowey)
Fergal started off slowly,giving away a free and being caught for a point,but he was v good after,and stuck to the Brick Molloy like glue when he came on.

5.Dane O Dowd
Looks very assured at half back and his movement with the ball was exceptional.
He is the most improved player on the Cavan panel from where he was when he came on the panel.
He is not going to be easily shifted out of this position.

6. Podge
Solid,covered the full back throughout the game rarely venturing over half-way.
Was always in support to help his fellow defenders out.

7.John McCutcheon
Lack of fitness was clear which is to be expected due to the amount of training he has missed due to injury.
He is one of the first names on the teamsheet anyway.

8.Gearoid McKiernan
Very good in the air and on the ground,kicked some good points and carried the ball well,and alongside Givney dominated aerially around the centre.

9.David Givney
Won his usual amount of posession aerially, got on the ball alot and distributed it very well, the only bad part was a few wild shots.

10. Niall Smith
Oustanding throughout, ball carrying was top notch, and he scored 0-3/0-4 from play. Dropped one short after a brilliant run in the first half which was punished

11.Declan Mckiernan
Quiet first half,when he looked very sluggish,getting robbed easily for one of Donegals scored.
2nd half, he influenced the game far more,kicking a great score and getting on alot of ball.

12. Stephen Jordan
Worked hard and done the simple things well but he is not a natural  forward,he would be better suited in the back line.

13.Niall McDermott
came alive after about 20 minutes and was very accurate from the dead ball, and scored the penalty.

14.Eugene Keating
Scored a great point,won a lot of posession and got stuck in, throwing his weight around.

15. Raymond Galligan
Free taking off the ground was mostly very good,even though he dropped one short and missed another one.
Fantastic catch before getting taken down for the penalty and a terrific individual effort in the 2nd half when he turned his man and slotted over from near the endline on the stand-side.

Mark McKeever
Ray Cullivan
Conor McClarey
Came on near the end
Not sure if a 5th sub came on as i was half way to Dublin at that stage  :P

Good points

Some very good interchanges,support play
Good workrate
Midfield dominance
Some great individual scores.

Bad parts

Got caught badly by Donegal counterattacks in the first half
Shooting overall was poor again.
Ball handling was poor,too much ball was spilled.

A scoreline of 1-20 to 2-08 would have been a fairer reflection of Cavan's dominance over what was a poor Donegal outfit.

tierworker blue

Breffni_Yank

You can only beat whatever team is in front of you so I would be happy that we got our first win of the season and scored 1-14. Shipping 2-08 in at the other end against a seriously understrength Donegal team would be a worry though. Our defence has been letting us down for years and its somethign we hav to improve if we want to start doing better.

You have to give it to the players though there is no doubt they are trying hard. Over the past few years McKenna Cup games always looked like they didn't matter because all our 'high profile' students would just come back in for the League. At least that seems to have changed.

Great to see Gearoid and Givney getting a few games together in midfield. Last year Val would never put them together. In them two we could have one of the best midfields in the country for quite a while.

Where has Barry Watters been since he was minor?

Brady and O'Mara both seemingly played well with their colleges again over the weekend. Brady got 1-3 which is some going for a lad that is not long out of minor.

Dougal

Quote from: Breffni_Yank on January 16, 2012, 03:21:46 PM
Where has Barry Watters been since he was minor?

Brady and O'Mara both seemingly played well with their colleges again over the weekend. Brady got 1-3 which is some going for a lad that is not long out of minor.

True,our defense still looks quite shakey but hopefully that will improve.

think barry had quite a bad knee injury and then went to australia for a year or two.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

mylestheslasher

From Last Saturdays Star........

I think we should all join together and get a collection for his 10k and be rid of this fella.

Edit **Also, according to todays indo he has told them he wants to play with Kildare and that he lives in Straffan, Co Kildare (strange place to live when you work in Cavan?) I think this clearly shows him for what he is. Best that he heads off and hopefully he'll be sitting on his arse watching this Cavan team win Ulster in a few years**

Cavan Star Seanie Johnston's proposed transfer to Kildare has suffered a major blow after he lost an appeal at Croke Park on Wednesday Night.
The Irish Daily Star has learned that a hearing was also rejected pre-Christmas—but that Johnston appealed on a technicality.
Johnaton could now take his case to the Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA) but could face a major financial hit of up to €10,000 if he looses.
The brilliant forward was axed from the Cavan squad by boss Val Andrews but he is determined to rekindle his county career elsewhere with Kildare his favoured destination.

APPEAL

A GAA source has revealed that Johnston's appeal was based on a technicality that county transfer's were not fully covered in the GAA rulebook.
The player argued that he wanted to declare for Kildare and not transfer to the county, but the Central Appeals Committee (CAC) threw his case out.
It is understood that Johnston's move to Kildare would contravene the GAA Rulebook on transfers and that the floodgates for disgruntled county players.
If he opts to go to the DRA a deposit of €1,000 is required and the loser has to pay their own legal fees and that of the other party. Which are often in excess of €10,000.
Croke Park would contest any DRA hearing vigorously as it would be a test case and it is unlikely to be successful.

Superb

The Kildare County Board have denied any knowledge of a Johnston transfer to date and it is understood they have played no role in any such move.
Johnston is a superb talent, who would add to Kildare's firepower up front, but he was off-colour when playing last year.
Johnston who was Andrews captain last year was unavailable for comment last night.

Westside

Anyone who follows any of the Cavan lads on twitter would have seen this already but Nesty tweeted something to the effect of "It's a disgrace that a county as small as Cavan can let a player of the calibre of Johnston go to another county" Johnston replied with "You speak a lot of sense my friend, driven out of football" The lad has some opinion of himself. He also tweets random cryptic expressions like "Honesty is the best policy"
He's like one of those birds on facebook who post stuff for attention when they break up with their boyfriend.

Should Val have just came out and told the media the reason for dropping Johnston?

mylestheslasher

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/cavan-star-johnston-poised-to-take-dra-route-in-bid-to-join-mcgeeneys-kildare-2990257.html

Cavan star Johnston poised to take DRA route in bid to join McGeeney's Kildare

Cavan's Seanie Johnston is hoping to continue his inter-county career with Kildare on the basis that he is now resident in the county

Colm Keys

Tuesday January 17 2012

Cavan footballer Seanie Johnston used an address in Straffan to correspond with Croke Park over his attempt to seek an inter-county transfer to Kildare last week, it has emerged.

Over the weekend Johnston, eager to switch to the Lilywhites having been dropped from the Breffni panel in October, met with officials of his club Cavan Gaels to urge them to support him with a case to the Disputes Resolution Authority in the coming days.

He has until Thursday to seek a DRA hearing, seven days on from his failure at Central Appeals level in Croke Park.

Johnston is believed to have had talks with Kildare manager Kieran McGeeney over a prospective move.

Naturally the acquisition of a talented forward like Johnston would appeal to McGeeney and align with his attempts to build a stronger squad in 2012, especially up front where real cutting edge has been a problem in the bigger games.

But so far Johnston has been unwilling to seek a transfer away from his club, with whom he has had so much success -- he was even captain of last year.

That may change, however, in the coming days if a club-backed DRA submission does not materialise.

"Any move to the DRA is a matter for the club now," he said. "I'm 27 now and I want to continue playing inter-county football but I don't want to leave my club. It's hugely important to me.

"But I'm resident in Kildare now and I'm surplus to requirements in Cavan. That much was clear from the 10-second conversation I had with the manager (Val Andrews) last October.

"But I still feel I have a lot to contribute at inter-county level. You only have short time at this level and I'd like to make it count."

Johnston submitted a letter to Croke Park prior to Christmas seeking an inter-county transfer on the basis that he had an address in Straffan in Kildare.

The request was turned down because it contravened GAA rules which require that a player can only play for a county if he is a native of it or plays with a club within that county. Residency is not sufficient.

In some cases, if one of the parents of the player comes from a particular county then the player can declare for that county. Cavan were able to bring Gareth Smith on board in 2009 through this facility despite the fact that he lived in Dublin and played with St Oliver Plunketts Eoghan Ruadh.

Johnston brought his case to the appeals committee on Wednesday night last and Croke Park are understood to have corresponded with him through his Straffan address. He works as a teacher in Breffni College in Cavan town.

The cost of a DRA hearing could be prohibitive for an individual. On top of the €1,000 submission fee there are legal fees to consider if a case against the GAA is lost, which could climb up to the region of €5,000 or beyond.

Johnston accepts that if there is no DRA hearing he would be faced with a stark choice -- to leave his club to pursue his inter-county dream.

"Someone else has made a decision to end my inter-county career. I respect a manager's right to make that decision. But does that mean that I have to cease being an inter-county player?" he asked.

"If there is no DRA move I have a decision to make then, one which I would make carefully after sitting down with people close to me.

"Some people will be annoyed with me in Cavan over my wish to move, but these are the circumstances I find myself in. I'm no longer a Cavan player."

The former DCU student, who spent Christmas in Australia, has been Cavan's highest-profile forward in recent years, but had a poor 2011 on the field for both club and county.

"I'd admit that I was poor, but I would add that it was one of Cavan's poorest seasons too," he said.

When Andrews was putting together a squad for 2012 last October, Johnston, his Cavan Gaels clubmate Micheal Lyng and Dermot Sheridan from Mullahoran were among the more established players omitted.

"The conversation to tell me I was surplus to requirements lasted no more than 10 seconds. I knew it was coming because Micheal Lyng, who is a friend of mine, also got the same call and was asked if he had my number," said Johnston.

"I wasn't looking for anything special but after nine seasons with the county I might have been entitled to a little more compassion."

Andrews could not be contacted last night.

It is not clear if Johnston's omission from the squad will remain for the entire season or if there will be an opportunity for him to return.

Cavan PRO Declan Woods believes it is not a matter for the board to comment on Johnston's appeal.

"The issue is for Croke Park really and how they deal with it. We're happy to leave it in their hands. Obviously we recognise the right of a manager we have appointed to make decision on team and squad selection as he or they see fit," said Woods.

There is a growing feeling that Johnston may be leaning towards a move away from Cavan Gaels to a club in Kildare, which would facilitate his objective.

Cavan Gaels continue to keep an open line of communication with the player and last night their chairman Michael Mooney expressed the desire that he would be back in a Cavan jersey soon.

"We've been discussing the situation with Seanie and we're working towards trying to find a solution," said Mooney. "Obviously we don't want to see one of our players leave the club or indeed the county."

Of how much benefit Johnston would be to Kildare -- who badly need to increase their goal ratio if they are to make that next step up and join Gaelic football's current elite -- is debatable. Even last Sunday in the O'Byrne Cup they dominated a game against Offaly but failed to score a goal.

They have no natural predatory goalscorer, but Johnston has never scored a championship goal with Cavan in eight seasons covering more than 20 appearances. He is, however, a prolific point scorer.

- Colm Keys

TheThirdManning

Looks like you have a player there that just wants to be knows as an Inter-County footballer and not as a Cavan player.

No wonder Val Andrews gave him the chop.

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: Thastheball on January 17, 2012, 12:36:37 PM
Quote from: TheThirdManning on January 17, 2012, 11:37:48 AM
Looks like you have a player there that just wants to be knows as an Inter-County footballer and not as a Cavan player.

I have no idea how you can come to that conclusion. Cavan dropped him from playing county football. He never at any time made himself unavailable to Cavan, until he was dropped from the panel with no suggestion that he will be asked back.

Are you saying he should just accept that he is no longer required to play for cavan and forget about it, or do, as he is doing, try amd make his county career last as long as possible with another team who would select him unto their panel.

I would imagine he was implying that Johnston should have taken been dropped on the chin, looked in the mirror and decided how he can force his way into Val's plans, and then go back to the Gaels and get stuck in.

And for me Thastheball, playing inter-county football is all about representing where you come from and playing with fellas you grew up with and played against.

Going by your logic Cavan should just start accceptings fellas in from Kerry, Tyrone and Dublin that can't make their own team because they want to play county ball. Sure let's have an NFL style draft or bring in a transfer system while we are at it.

mylestheslasher

I have no idea how you can come to that conclusion. Cavan dropped him from playing county football. He never at any time made himself unavailable to Cavan, until he was dropped from the panel with no suggestion that he will be asked back.

Are you saying he should just accept that he is no longer required to play for cavan and forget about it, or do, as he is doing, try amd make his county career last as long as possible with another team who would select him unto their panel.

He should suck it up, get back playing with his club and play his way back into the team. Not run of like the a primadonna. There is also more to the reason that he was dropped off the panel. Andrews didn't just decide one morning "I think I'll drop our most talented forward for the craic".

mylestheslasher

Richie - totally disagree with you. The manager picks the team and the panel. Johnston was poor last year on the field but it is quite clear something else was going on in the dressing room.  For example, our U21's were disgusted with the attitude in the camp when they came in. Johnston knows well why he is not being asked in. He has 2 choices now - fight for his place or run away. He chooses to run away. You talk about Andrews ego, come off it. Johnston is Mr Ego and everyone knows it. His main concern is playing "inter county" not playing for where he is from. You are also wrong about coaxing players. If you have to coax a player then he is not going to give you a 110%. Coax no one. Ask them for sure but beg - no way. There are plenty of men who would put their body on the line to represent a county like ours with its rich history.

In my opinion Andrews has made a decision that he is bringing in the youth and he is rightly not going to risk the good morale they bring with them by having people in the panel with a negative mindset. I think he is dead right and I expect his selectors were behind him on it too.

Ollie

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 17, 2012, 02:06:20 PM

He should suck it up, get back playing with his club and play his way back into the team. Not run of like the a primadonna. There is also more to the reason that he was dropped off the panel. Andrews didn't just decide one morning "I think I'll drop our most talented forward for the craic".

He was told back in October that he wasn't wanted. So obviously Andrews had no intention of picking him regardless of his club form.

It be great for him if he gets a few seasons in Kildare while he's still in his prime. He's worked hard over the years to be the player he is today. The Gaels will cope without him although Ideally I'd like to see him playing with both.

Breffni_Yank

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 17, 2012, 02:17:06 PM
Richie - totally disagree with you. The manager picks the team and the panel. Johnston was poor last year on the field but it is quite clear something else was going on in the dressing room.  For example, our U21's were disgusted with the attitude in the camp when they came in. Johnston knows well why he is not being asked in. He has 2 choices now - fight for his place or run away. He chooses to run away. You talk about Andrews ego, come off it. Johnston is Mr Ego and everyone knows it. His main concern is playing "inter county" not playing for where he is from. You are also wrong about coaxing players. If you have to coax a player then he is not going to give you a 110%. Coax no one. Ask them for sure but beg - no way. There are plenty of men who would put their body on the line to represent a county like ours with its rich history.

In my opinion Andrews has made a decision that he is bringing in the youth and he is rightly not going to risk the good morale they bring with them by having people in the panel with a negative mindset. I think he is dead right and I expect his selectors were behind him on it too.

I'm with you 100% on that post Myles. In theory we have two groups of players coming through now that have won something and you would imagine they would want to do so again. Sean wasn't dropped for a laugh. In clearing out the others I think Val has genuinely shown he has Cavan's long-term interests at heart. I imagine after reading that interview anyone that was on the fence, like I was, will side with Val.

I would rather pay my 10e in anyday to watch those lads empty their tanks and play for one another. Both teams played with passion last year that to be honest I had forgotten could even exist in Cavan. Everytime I saw both the minors and u21's play you walked out smiling because you know they gave their best for a jersey that they took pride in wearing. They didn't want to play 'inter-county'. They wanted to play for Cavan.

It probably wont be good enough this year or next year but considering the position our County is in in football rankings I'd be happy enough to watch us gradually improve whilst playing with pride and as a team.