Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Good few big guns back. Mackey is also back. Who'll be match fit Saturday is another question. Good few McKenna Cup players gone.

tommysmith

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 23, 2018, 06:15:41 PM
Good few big guns back. Mackey is also back. Who'll be match fit Saturday is another question. Good few McKenna Cup players gone.

Well who is back?

mrdeeds

The Gaels lads, McVeety, Mackey from what I heard. Clarke, McKiernan working on injuries. The big issue is putting a strong 15 out who are match fit.

Itchy

McVeety new captain. I assume that he is just rotating the role and its not a slight on Killian Clarke? Anyway, fighting talk from Dara this week. If you dont want to play for Cavan then we dont want you. Thats fair enough for me.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on January 24, 2018, 01:00:44 PM
McVeety new captain. I assume that he is just rotating the role and its not a slight on Killian Clarke? Anyway, fighting talk from Dara this week. If you dont want to play for Cavan then we dont want you. Thats fair enough for me.

Dara is a good choice for the role. I like Killian but I don't think he has the maturity for captaincy personally. Dead right to say it as he did with regard to the lads not committing. Brave chat from a young lad to a chunk of former teammates and shows where his true loyalties lie.

Also, good to see Ciaran Brady as vice captain. Underrated player and a great model for any Cavan player.

mrdeeds

1. Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
2. Dónal Monahan (Drumlane)
3. Padraig Faulkner (Kingscourt)
4. David Phillips (Gowna)
5. Darragh Kennedy (Killygarry)
6. Ciaran Brady (Arvagh)
7. Oisin Kiernan (Castlerahan)
8. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
9. Jack Wharton (Cornafean)
10. Enda Flanagan (Castlerahan)
11. Dara McVeety (Crosserlough)
12. David Brady (Ballyhaise)
13. Caoimhin O'Reilly (Butlersbridge)
14. Bryan Magee (Cuchulainns)
15. Adrian Cole (Ramor United)

16. James Farrelly (Kingscourt)
17. Conor Brady (Gowna)
18. Conor Bradley (Ramor United)
19. Sean McCormack (Ballyhaise)
20. Niall Clerkin (Shercock)
21. Ryan Connolly (Drumlane)
22. Niall McKiernan (Lacken)
23. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
24. Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar)
25. Conor Madden (Gowna)
26. Paul Gilcreest (Lavey)
27. Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
28. Thomas Galligan (Lacken)

Not one Cavan Gaels player in squad.

Westside

10 debuts handed out. That's shocking. Questions need to be asked. People drop off panels but when it happens like this, in such numbers, after years of relative stability... This is potentially irreparable. We don't have a prayer of beating Clare with that 15. Maybe if all the Senior players on the bench start but other than that...

How are we in this situation. I'm in disbelief.

Itchy

What I dont understand is that if you sacrifice the McKenna cup and throw lads into it to see how they get on then why would you ignore the output of that. For example I believe our top scorer in the McKenna cup was Niall McKiernan yet he doesnt start. Wharton played a few games at wing back and Ctr back and from what I am told he struggled and now he is midfield?

I suppose we will just have to go with it and see how these lads get on and hope for the best. At least we can see some of our senior players showing their faces.

No Gaels players at all though, whats that about. I understood they were all back training.

Westside

Exactlu Itchy. There doesn't seem to be any consistency in team selection even given the state of the panel. Niall McKiernan should definitely be starting based on McKenna Cup performances. So should Thomas Galligan. Where's McLoughlin? Where's Buchannan and Gunner Brady?

Was really looking forward to the return of the league but it's hard to justify a 6 odd hour round trip.
No harm to the lads There, sure I'd play myself if I got the chance!

Itchy

Well probably a fair enough result but in last few mins we probably should've won that game. For those who didn't make it change from start with Madden in for Cole. No gearoid on bench euther. Thomas galligan came on wearing 15.

Great start with really good goal but Clare quickly got on top. Madden was only outlet at ff with Magee playing around middle. Madden is frustrating, getting onto ball but not protecting it or spilling it. It was a wicked wind and I was shocked Mattie didn't give Madden a few mins with the wind. He put Niall McKiernan on who was very poor at half time. Played Magee and McKiernan in 2 man ff line with caoimhin Reilly out around the middle! Clare started 2nd half well but the addition of Mackey and Thomas galligan turned the game. We really should've pushed on and won but Faulkner shot hit the post to put us 1 up and instead Clare got ahead and we needed last minute free to draw.
Good for us was our fb line which did well. Holla was brave and strong and I thought Clarke was outstanding in 1st half on Brennan with very little help. Mcveety very good in patches. Poor was our FF line which was no threat. Mackey still our biggest threat but way off in fitness as was moynagh who mixed the good with the dire. Thomas galligan did well after a shakey start. Probably might be a good point later on but we need to beat louth. Special shout out to ref Anthony Nolan from Wicklow who was simply dire. We got no rub of him today while Clare got huge amounts of soft frees. I can see now why they lock refs in the boot of cars in Wicklow.

southtyronegael

Itchy

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 27, 2018, 09:46:57 PM
how did mc gleenan do?

In fairness he brought on players at the right time and a few if them made an impact. It's just so hard to tell when you have a whooping 13 players today making their league debut!

Westside

If we added McLoughin, Gunner, Martin Reilly and Gearoid to that team (all of whom are involved I believe), played David Brady inside ahead of Madden or McKiernan, started Thomas Galligan... We might have a decent shape of a team.

Itchy what did you make of Darragh Kennedy yesterday? I think he looked fairly at home. Good engine on him.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on January 28, 2018, 12:59:43 PM
If we added McLoughin, Gunner, Martin Reilly and Gearoid to that team (all of whom are involved I believe), played David Brady inside ahead of Madden or McKiernan, started Thomas Galligan... We might have a decent shape of a team.

Itchy what did you make of Darragh Kennedy yesterday? I think he looked fairly at home. Good engine on him.

Not sure Westside, didn't heed him that much. But I will say all them new lads tried very hard even if some you would wonder about in long run. Good call on putting Brady at FF.  We didn't look like scoring with Magee and McKiernan in there.

Westside

Seems like McGrath is going to have Louth attempt to bully our full back line. Grimes at ff is an absolute monster. Faulkner will probably pick him up but he can't be left isolated.

No team named by Mattie yet. Gamesmanship?