Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Mark Speight - Former SMart presenter.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Dickie Best, George's father.
Testing Accessibility

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Guillem2

Danny McAllister who played full-forward on the Antrim team that reached the All Ireland Senior Hurling final for the first time in 1943. RIP. Danny scored 4 goals in the Q/F win over Galway.

Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Feckitt

Guillem, that is a great photo.  What colours did Antrim wear in those days?

A Quinn Martin Production

Think it was yellow & blue hoops, feckitt
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

A Quinn Martin Production

Actually I phoned my Da, who was at the '43 final ,and though he wasn't 100% sure (he in his 80's) he seemed to remember it was green and yellow?
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

aontroim

Great article on the Antrim County site by Curly McIlwaine on Danny McAllister;

http://antrim.gaa.ie/news/details/?id=1023

R.I.P.

Minder

Danny had the privelege of presenting me with Glenariffes senior player of the year a few years back, a real gentleman. His daughter Fiona, who has been Glenariffes secretary for many years, and does a power of work for the club, is also battling cancer at the minute.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bacon

Quote from: aontroim on May 14, 2008, 01:36:47 PM

R.I.P.

Good article alrite. Men were men in those days. RIP. Did his kids play any hurling if they were brought up in Whitehead?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Minder

Quote from: Bacon on May 14, 2008, 02:04:58 PM
Quote from: aontroim on May 14, 2008, 01:36:47 PM

R.I.P.

Good article alrite. Men were men in those days. RIP. Did his kids play any hurling if they were brought up in Whitehead?

Dont think it Bacon. His daughter Fiona and her husband Conor (who is our vice chairman) do the kind of work in our club nobody wants to do, you know the sort, they complain about things in the club but when they are asked for help they are always too busy, neither of them have ever been "too busy" to do work for the club.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

saffron sam2

Quote from: Guillem2 on May 13, 2008, 01:29:27 PM
Danny McAllister who played full-forward on the Antrim team that reached the All Ireland Senior Hurling final for the first time in 1943. RIP. Danny scored 4 goals in the Q/F win over Galway.

I'm told one of the few surviving members  (maybe the only surviving member)of that Antrim squad is former Rossa man Billy Best, cousin of the recently deceased Dickie Best.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on May 16, 2008, 09:45:53 PM
I thought the Bests that are related to Geordie were St. John's men. Unless they had a black sheep.

Although, most Rossa men have Johnnies cousins/brothers etc. The Armstrongs, McCaffreys etc.

The Bests were originally O'Connell's men, but ended up at Rossa. Dickie's uncle is in that photo too.

The Rossa Armstrongs deny vehemently that they are related to the St. John's clan. They are scared that mud will stickie.

The McCaffreys were originally O'D's. Strange how they ended up playing for different clubs.

saffron sam2

Next time I'm in Russia, I'll ask the keeper about the third Gerard Armstrong. Which will be tomorrow! The goal in Spain one was a Johnnies man and is not related to saffron legend Kevin 'Army' Armstrong.

There is also young Gerard, so that is at least four.

You're certainly not redeeming yourself with the younger McCaff.