Down v Wexford

Started by interested, July 27, 2008, 08:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: AFS on August 06, 2008, 07:14:06 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on August 06, 2008, 07:04:56 PM
Terrible game, even worse in the crowd, some wexford 'fan' gave us stick the whole first half about being northern c***ts and shouting about the uvf etc until he got a slap for his troubles. Worse than a loyalist.

I hate that shite that you hear from some of southern 'Gaels' at matches. 'British b**tards', 'Go back to your own country', things about marching at Drumcree, etc, etc. I've heard it all at matches. To hear things like this from fellow Gaels is disgusting.

I know, I know. Was all a bit of banter til that dick started making northern digs, the uvf thing was the final straw. He didnt open his mouth after though, you could see his mates were embarrassed for him, as were the guards who told him to wise up.

AFS

Quote from: dodgy umpire on August 05, 2008, 05:24:05 PM
Quote from: AFS on August 05, 2008, 12:32:09 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 05, 2008, 11:27:44 AM
Is Benny even that good? Honestly, I'm not trying to wind anyone up but he seems to be very inconsistent.

I think his inconsistency stems from the fact that he is very markable. He's the type of guy who'll kick 3-6 or whatever when someone shit is on him (see Offaly game), but stick a good man marker on him and he fades away. In this respect he's not much different than most forwards.

Dont be an idiot, against armagh the ball going up to him was being booted over the sideline etc,you cant expect him to play well if he doesnt get the ball? (or maybe you hold him in such high regard that you think he should) . It didnt help that he was constantly being dragged to the ground when there was chance he could make a run aswell

Quote from: T O Hare on August 05, 2008, 04:17:59 PM
Quote from: AFS on August 05, 2008, 12:32:09 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 05, 2008, 11:27:44 AM
Is Benny even that good? Honestly, I'm not trying to wind anyone up but he seems to be very inconsistent.

I think his inconsistency stems from the fact that he is very markable. He's the type of guy who'll kick 3-6 or whatever when someone shit is on him (see Offaly game), but stick a good man marker on him and he fades away. In this respect he's not much different than most forwards.

Thats a stupid statement, any player no mattter how good they are, is very markable if you have two players on him!!!! Downs problem is that when you double team Benny, there are not enough leaders around him to get scores, Would stevie mc donnell be as good if he was double marked!!! teams cant afford to do that when they play Armagh because there are players like Clarke who would destroy them.. Benny has scored 4.8 this season is the championship and correct me if i am wrong but he has scored 16 championship goals in his career, one less than Sean O'Neill and two less than Mc Donnell who probably has played over twice amounts of Championship games...
He is a lot different than other forwards in that respect!!!

Calm down lads, I wasn't having a go at Benny. I was only trying to explain why he's played fabulously in a couple of matches this year and has been anonymous in a couple of others. For me the reason is simple - he was well marked in the Armagh and Wexford games (doubly or singly). Fair enough his chances were further limited in the Wexford game because of Down's collapse at midfield and the subsequent shortage of supply into him. He's still a very, very good player and T O'Hare's point about Down not having other forwards of the same calibre to take the focus off him is somewhat valid. With the emergence of McComiskey perhaps that will change next year.

Anyway from the tone of your responses it seems yous are still a bit sore about last weekend, so I'll leave you with a happy reminder - the McKenna cup starts again in less than 5 months!!!  :P

charlie stubbs

Terrible game, even worse in the crowd, some wexford 'fan' gave us stick the whole first half about being northern c***ts and shouting about the uvf etc until he got a slap for his troubles. Worse than a loyalist.

trouble seems to follow you to all gaa games you attend!!you should possibly consider becoming more of an armchair supporter!!

in reference to the game terrible game of football by 2 bad teams.  down would possibly have had a chance if dan gordon got his suspension overturned, you cant give away goals like they did and expect to progress.  Can anyone tell me how mcguigan gets a game??surely there is a better option that him?was watching game with a mate he took a short kick out i said "watch this" carried the ball then just fisted it 2 knowone!!

Our Nail Loney

Have to agree with you charles re mcguigan, he just is not county standard, there are much better defenders in down not getting a chance for one reason or another but he shouldn't be there, must be djs influence.

AFS

Quote from: charlie stubbs on August 06, 2008, 07:57:40 PM

trouble seems to follow you to all gaa games you attend!!you should possibly consider becoming more of an armchair supporter!!

in reference to the game terrible game of football by 2 bad teams.  down would possibly have had a chance if dan gordon got his suspension overturned, you cant give away goals like they did and expect to progress.  Can anyone tell me how mcguigan gets a game??surely there is a better option that him?was watching game with a mate he took a short kick out i said "watch this" carried the ball then just fisted it 2 knowone!!

He did  :-\

Uladh

Well they should have played him then

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

the milkman

Quote from: charlie stubbs on August 06, 2008, 07:57:40 PM

The teams made it into the last 12. so if they are both poor teams what does this say about the standard of football at present. I would admit it was a terrible game by 2 improving teams.

Our Nail Loney

We'll see how well armagh do this weekend against wexford, could get a surprise