Down v Wexford

Started by interested, July 27, 2008, 08:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

to a point hardy, but this is senior inter county football, down wouldn't have beaten too many club teams today.

full back

While I dont like to laugh at teams , today was a f**king joke and showed Down up for what they are - a below average team.
Some of the passing today was terrible, you would think the Down boys never played together.
Both teams shooting was poor and Wexford are definitely the plum draw of the next round.
Poor deluded Down fans :D

TBT

you'd have to pity Ross Carr, he done a hell of a job to get such  a limited side so far. Down are a division 4 side in terms of talent and ability.

full back

Quote from: TBT on August 02, 2008, 09:35:26 PM
you'd have to pity Ross Carr, he done a hell of a job to get such  a limited side so far. Down are a division 4 side in terms of talent and ability.

Agree, Carr has done very very well to get this Down side so far

the milkman

Quote from: TBT on August 02, 2008, 09:35:26 PM

Complete nonsense.

clarshack

at least we wont be hearing that corny phrase 'there's nothing like a confident down man' for a while! ;)

orangeman

Down's undoing was the draw they got last Sunday night - complaceny set in - all they had to do in their minds was turn up  - that combined with Wexford playing out of their skins, gathering nearly EVERY break ball that was going, and a little luck threw in, condemned Down to looking ahead to 2009.

Yes I Would

Quote from: orangeman on August 02, 2008, 10:25:35 PM
Down's undoing was the draw they got last Sunday night - complaceny set in - all they had to do in their minds was turn up  - that combined with Wexford playing out of their skins, gathering nearly EVERY break ball that was going, and a little luck threw in, condemned Down to looking ahead to 2009.

Agree that complacency could have been a factor, obvious considering the unmerciful hiding Wexford got from the Dubs.
I have seen Wexford playing much better than that performance in recent years. I thought they were very ordinary at best for most of the game. Forde either wasnt fully fit or just didnt really care.
No Down man can say that Wexfords performance today was good, but yet they were comfortably 10 points the better team, which highlights just how fecking awful Downs performance was.

Tyrones own

In Fairness to Down they didn't really get going and I am of the belief that you make your own luck
but Jaysus Wexford's purple patch lasted most all of 70 minutes today while Very little went by way of Down.
Well done to Wexford all the same and someone should print some of the above comments for the dressing room
wall next weekend ;) be very carefull what you wish for and all that..
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

redandblack4ever

As someone who watched the game in Culllen's Pub in Chicago, the bottom lline is that while the Down 15 performed below average today, there iis reason to hope. Granted Down won very few breaking balls in the middlle of the field. there's still reason to believe that this team, with a few changes, willl defintely challenge in the coming years. Fair play to Ross, DJ and your man Mussen from Burren. They're going in the right direction and that, at least for us is progress.

Up the Yellas,

Mr and Mrs. redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

INDIANA

are you though? for a county thats prodcued excellent underage teams of late, you have no backline, no plan B and an over realiance completely on one player. You didn't get promoted out of div 3. you beat a laois team that wexford hammered,an offaly team that westmeath hammered and couldn't beat a wexford team that was hockeyed by dublin. i'm not knocking ross carr but have you really made progress? where have all the players gone?

bridgegael

Down played into wexfords hands yesterday!!  they did't play direct football which served them well in the last two matches!  why didn't they push a man up on the man that was double marking coulter??  why didn't they take him out when he was been doubled marked!!  overall the lads didn't perform, not for a lack of trying things just didn't fall for them.  ah well we'd have took a 3rd rd qualifier at the start of the year.  we'll be back next year!

on a side note,  really hope ambrose is ok,  gerry mcentee had to operate on him couple of hours after match. i've heard conflicting stories on this.  anyone know more??
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

downgirl

Gutted about yesterday, I expected it to be a tighter match and thought that with Gordon back it would make all the difference; obviously the goings on of last week must have knocked his confidence a wee bit.  I'd say the main problem is what everyone has already said, they thought it would be a breeze.  Down probably would have performed better if they had been the underdogs.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

Canalman

The better footballers won yesterday.....end of. They would have humiliated Down if Lyng hadn't slipped in front of the open goal.

Was watching out for Dan Gordon yesterday because of all the talk about him....he was anonymous .Wexford's midfield was dominant and Down's inability to win breaks was imo embarassing.

Ross Carr should wear the lenses at games as wearing glasses in the wet cannot be anything else but a hindrance. I shoud know as i wear glasses also.

sean og

Down won what they set out to do at the start of the
year, the MC KENNA CUP .
As M Mc Hugh said there defence couldn't catch straw
and they depend to much on benny