Student Finance

Started by tbrick18, February 24, 2024, 02:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Emmett Greene on February 27, 2024, 11:50:13 AMAre university Computer Science degrees  cutting edge these days? If they are things have changed a lot.

If you can convert to an IT course in one year you can learn everything you need to know for industry in one year. Your previous undergraduate course is largely irrelevant.

Why don't you read what I posted "some computer science topics". In fact a lots of the concepts haven't changed over the last 20/30 years but that doesn't mean people don't need to have that fundamental understanding.

You're telling me a person with a undergrad maths degree doesn't have a significant skills advantage to someone with a history degree even though they've both done a 1 year conversion? Especially for junior development or data science roles?

Delgany 2nds

Moneysavingexpert is worth exploring re - student loans

Most do not repay the full outstanding amount !

Milltown Row2

I've a friend who has not paid a penny back, he's done a law and masters in international law, he did his international law in Holland and has never come home to work, though he's never worked in law a day so far.. Works in sales in Denmark!

Will he only be liable to pay if he takes up residency back here? 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maroon Manc

I always assumed if someone went bankrupt then they'd not have to pay their student loans but its not definite.

Armagh18

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 27, 2024, 02:49:29 PMI always assumed if someone went bankrupt then they'd not have to pay their student loans but its not definite.
I think as it's collected as a tax you would probably still be liable. I know it doesnt count against you in terms of looking to borrow then as an outstanding debt

Emmett Greene

Quote from: thebigfella on February 27, 2024, 12:29:09 PM
Quote from: Emmett Greene on February 27, 2024, 11:50:13 AMAre university Computer Science degrees  cutting edge these days? If they are things have changed a lot.

If you can convert to an IT course in one year you can learn everything you need to know for industry in one year. Your previous undergraduate course is largely irrelevant.

Why don't you read what I posted "some computer science topics". In fact a lots of the concepts haven't changed over the last 20/30 years but that doesn't mean people don't need to have that fundamental understanding.

You're telling me a person with a undergrad maths degree doesn't have a significant skills advantage to someone with a history degree even though they've both done a 1 year conversion? Especially for junior development or data science roles?

What advantage does someone that has done a maths degree and a 1yr postgrad conversion course have over someone who has just done their A-levels (e.g.  Maths, Physics, Computer Science) and a two year apprenticeship in IT?

Why would the latter be a low paid codemonkey and the former not?

The apprentice will not have the debt of the graduate. 4 years and a 50k debt. That's 1/3 the price of a first home.

yellowcard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 27, 2024, 02:28:58 PMI've a friend who has not paid a penny back, he's done a law and masters in international law, he did his international law in Holland and has never come home to work, though he's never worked in law a day so far.. Works in sales in Denmark!

Yes, its collected through the tax system here. Unless he comes home to work and earns over £25k approx pa he won't have to repay it. 

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: yellowcard on February 27, 2024, 03:41:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 27, 2024, 02:28:58 PMI've a friend who has not paid a penny back, he's done a law and masters in international law, he did his international law in Holland and has never come home to work, though he's never worked in law a day so far.. Works in sales in Denmark!

Yes, its collected through the tax system here. Unless he comes home to work and earns over £25k approx pa he won't have to repay it. 

Correcto....have told my childer to do that but they won't listen! 

My year was the last year of full grants so only had £3k of a loan for 5 years in Uni as I got my professional exams covered too!

lurganblue

The debt here is staggering. What is the point of starting out working life like that? Youd need to be earning some wage afterwards to make this worthwhile.

LC

If the scenario was that you and your other half both went to Uni you are looking at a possible situation when you go to get married / buy a house that between you could have in the region of a combined debt hanging over you of £60k - £80k.

I graduated in late 90s with £5k of loans and the missus graduated 3 years later with £12k and were more than glad to see the back of that when it was paid.

Changed times.

markl121

Quote from: lurganblue on February 28, 2024, 01:36:18 PMThe debt here is staggering. What is the point of starting out working life like that? Youd need to be earning some wage afterwards to make this worthwhile.
I think so many people don't know about it. We were told it's cheap money, you'll barely notice it coming out of your pay. It's just not true. Unless you're still earning below the 25k threshold, which in that case, what was the point?

LC

I sit on interview panels at work sometimes and the amount of people applying for Band 3 / Band 4 jobs were top salary would be approx £25k with Degrees, PGCE and Masters is unbelievable.  Some could be graduated post 5 - 7 years and seem to have drifted from one job to another.

A lot of the time the degrees they did were an absolute waste time as there is no direct link in terms of profession.

Unless you put your degree to use in 1, 2 years max you may as well have left school at 16.

marty34

I thought employers would look at someone having loads of different jobs as a benefit.

No?

markl121

Quote from: marty34 on February 28, 2024, 05:48:06 PMI thought employers would look at someone having loads of different jobs as a benefit.

No?
would it not be seen as someone who can't settle, doesn't know what they want?

trueblue1234

Depends on hiring manager. Still a lot of old fashioned hiring managers, who think if a person changes a job every 3-4 years that they're flakey. But more and more young people are changing jobs every 3-4 years now compared to how it used to be. And this isn't a bad thing.
That said if you're jumping about every year it would be a red flag to most. There's an essence of getting through training and then getting found out!! 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit