NFL 2007 and NHL 2007 - Fixtures Thread

Started by Barney, November 28, 2006, 11:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 28, 2006, 05:23:03 PM
Does anyone have a link or know for definite how the national leagues will work next year??? I was under the impression that the top four in 1A & 1B go into the new Division 1 and the bottom 4 in 1A & 1B go into Division 2. However on the Slasher thread they're talking about going straight into Division 2 if they finish first or second in 2A!!! Help.....

Divisions 1A and 1B
Top 4 - Division 1
5th and 6th - Division 2
7th and 8th - Division 3

Divisions 2A and 2B
1st and 2nd - Division 2
3rd and 4th - Division 3
Bottom 4 - Division 4

...which all makes sense. You'd expect the top team in 2A to be in a higher division the followinf year than the bottom team in 1A.

Barney

If that's correct Hound I think its ridiculous.

Four teams from Division 1 are going to be relegated to Division 3. Whereas a team of a Division 4 standard that might have a good run could end up in Division 2!

Say for instance Kerry have a slow start to the league after winning the All Ireland and they find themselves struggling. They could be in Division 3. Tipperary who never do anything in the league go on a good run and end up in Division 2!

Then there is the obvious imbalance between Division 1A and Division 1B. 3/4 Provincial champions, the last two All Ireland champions, Donegal, Fermanagh and Limerick are in A. While 1B has Armagh, and other teams that may be considered middle of the road on recent form.

I think the only proper way to form four divisions is to take all league and championship results over a 3/4 period and put together some form of seeding, otherwise I can see a big arguement ahead.

muscles magoo

Quote from: Barney on November 29, 2006, 08:09:27 AM

I think the only proper way to form four divisions is to take all league and championship results over a 3/4 period and put together some form of seeding, otherwise I can see a big arguement ahead.

That'd be the sensible approach however I think it's pretty much set in stone at this stage so little chance of change I'd say.