Heaney lambastes Tyrone cheats (sort of)

Started by ONeill, May 15, 2007, 09:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrick18

He did soo!
I think Canavan defo was the first player to bring a lot of this diving into games.
How many times have we seen him holding the ball into his chest and flying through the air like a torpedo and landing face first on the grass, yet never dropping the ball. I know if someone hit me so hard, or hit me off balance to the point where I was falling down, I would find it difficult to not drop the ball, or indeed to fall with such "grace".
Always seemed like a good bit of play acting to me.
Then as his undoubted talent also meant he got plenty of scores, lots of other players tried to emulate his style of play.
Hence the now common site of all them tyronnies flying through the air in slow motion.

Gabriel_Hurl

2003 called - it wants it's argument back.

Fuzzman

I can't believe ye are back discussing this AGAIN.

I wasnt on the Discussion board in 2003 and so when I first heard this mentioned in 2005 I couldn't believe there was any issue with Marsden's punch on Jordan.
Of course he charged at him but it was Marsden who lifted is fist and PUNCHED him.

If someone did this to you would you not go down holding your face?

I've saw Francie go down a few times rather easily to get a free out.
I'd love to hear COMPLETE Neutrals point of few on this Marden v Jordan topic but I couldnt be bothered opening a new thread for it.

ExiledGael

As a complete neutral Marsden should never have been sent off!
Honest to God if i was the ref both men would have gotten yellow cards, it was an extremely cowardly act by Jordan, to charge at a man acting agressive and shouting who knows what then at the point of contact throw yourself to the ground.
He hardly got touched FFS!
Imagine being in Marsden's shoes at the time, who wouldn't have raised their hands, even slightly to defend themselves with someone charging towards you

Muzz

Im a tyrone fan and you will not be surprised to learn I feel Marsden should have been sent off...BUT...the reaction of Jordan was uncalled for.  Marsden yes went/did punch Jordan so therefore deserved to go.  Jordan may have ran at Marsden aggeressively but he did not have his hands raised.

As for Tyone being a team of divers...in todays game the rules have allowed for teams to take advantage of this.  And yes Tyrone have got a name for this.  It seems easier to go down now than try to avoid a tackle.  This does not always fend well for Tyrone though...as in the last game of the NFL Tyrone should of had at least 2 penalties and did not recieve any.  Mulligan was adjudged to be diving...Referee way behind the play.  The main issue is though if Mulligan dived why wasnt he booked?  Would this not stop people going down?

parttimeexile

There are some people on here with a serious chip on their shoulder.Players from every team in Ireland dive as is said in Paddy Heaneys article so why Tyrone players should be singled out as the ones who have destroyed the game and dive at every chance is beyond me.I think it should be dealt with by referees and then that would be the end of it.And although Francie Bellew is one of the 'old school' players I think if you asked Mickey Linden what he thought of him it would not be to generous and that is from someone who played the game at the very highest level for many many years.

ONeill

What Paddy said was that Tyrone were the worst offenders.

Can that be measured?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ExiledGael

I also witnessed that tackle at Casement Park and it was nothing short of a disgrace! I'm a big man of Francie but that was a bit of a cowardly act to bust oul Mickey face on the way he did

tbrick18

Francie doesnt dive, but he's as dirty a player as I have seen (well maybe excluding Pete the Cheat...I like that).
I dont know why ref's dont send him off more often.

Tyrone are defo the worst for this diving craic. And for years the refs have been fooled but they have started to catch on now. Coincidence or not, Tyrone seem to be not doing as well.

I dont know if there are any rules against diving, but there should be a yellow card for it. Players dive not only to try for frees but are trying to get the other player booked/sent off. Jordan is the perfect example with the Marsden incident. Whether or not Marsden deserved to go there was no need for the play acting and if there was any doubt in the ref's mind b4 the performance, it maybe was enuff to sway him.

I'm no fan of Armagh either, but I dont think MArsden should have went that day.

Fíor Gael

Heaney is no stranger to a bit of diving himself. He failed to mention that in his we outburst. I get the feeling that he just loves attacking Tyrone, bitterness runs true him.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

darbyo

Tis a shame this topic has turned into another Tyrone V Armagh childish spat because Paddy highlights one of the most frustrating aspects of the modern game and an issue all followers of GAA should be keen on eradicating. Raking over the past is of no use, as unfortunately there isn't any county that can claim the high moral ground on this one.How do we deal with it?, well I think adding on more time is fairly pointless, one of the main motivations is to allow players to funnel back behind the ball thus making it almost impossible for the attacking team to score. The easiest way to deal with this is to allow on the medical personel without stopping the game. That way even if the injury is serious the player still gets immediate attention amd the ref can make a judgement on whether the game should continue after it next goes out of play.

The Bottom Brick

Francie Bellew went down like a sack of spuds to get Pearse McKenna sent off after 30 seconds of the 2004 Ulster semi final, which Armagh won through two late points.

Enough said.
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

ONeill

Quote from: Take Your Points on May 15, 2007, 08:00:42 PM
I see the exam classes have been allowed off, Shane! :D

Too right. The summer holidays started last week! C2K should never have allowed this site accessible!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fionntamhnach

Quote from: ONeill on May 15, 2007, 10:47:19 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on May 15, 2007, 08:00:42 PM
I see the exam classes have been allowed off, Shane! :D

Too right. The summer holidays started last week! C2K should never have allowed this site accessible!
It is blocked depending on the user settings!