Grimley V Brolly, row in full swing

Started by T Fearon, May 21, 2013, 09:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Back page story in Irish News today.Paul considering withdrawing co operation with RTE as a result of Brolly's attack on Sunday. Seems to be infuriated particularly because Brolly brought the twins into the debate.Obviously Joe has forgotten the fate of John Lynch.

EC Unique

tc_manchester

Quote from: T Fearon on May 21, 2013, 09:19:47 AM
Back page story in Irish News today.Paul considering withdrawing co operation with RTE as a result of Brolly's attack on Sunday. Seems to be infuriated particularly because Brolly brought the twins into the debate.Obviously Joe has forgotten the fate of John Lynch.
Yeah - and Eugene McKenna sorted that out at the start of the second half

Jinxy

If Grimley had used a sweeper in front of him a lot of those comments from Brolly would have been intercepted.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

imtommygunn

Brolly is getting a bit carried away with himself.

Everything is about him now and not about discussion on games.

Getting very irritating how he has no time for other people's opinions that don't match his own and he is incredibly condescending.

sheamy

Joe is the Keith Lemon of GAA analysis. He's like Pat Spillane with a 'titter of wit'. Ultimately not to be taken too seriously.

Count 10

Grimley's proposed boycott of RTE may only last one game ::)

Whilst Brolly's comments are OTT a lot of the time, Grimley is big enough to take it on one of his chins ;)

nothingbettertobeat

Maybe its just me but no matter what he tends to harp on about when he eventually gets to his punchline he's almost on the money every time. he was 100% correct about Grimley last weekend.Manager is suppose to be there to make big calls and it was clear to be seen from after 20 mins gone that the best two players on field was Eugene keating and Dunne from cavan and a sweeper should have been employed, but he put his own beliefs in front of the best interests of his side so deserves all the slating he gets. the top managers see these game changing moves early they dont wait to the first round of qualifiers to make it!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

imtommygunn

There's a difference between slagging and belittling someone. Joe seems to have forgot that.

Used to be funny - now he's believed all the hype.

He is perceptive nothingbetterto beat but there are ways to do things.

NAG1

Quote from: Count 10 on May 21, 2013, 10:53:04 AM
Grimley's proposed boycott of RTE may only last one game ::)

Whilst Brolly's comments are OTT a lot of the time, Grimley is big enough to take it on one of his chins ;)

Quote from: nothingbettertobeat on May 21, 2013, 10:53:56 AM

Maybe its just me but no matter what he tends to harp on about when he eventually gets to his punchline he's almost on the money every time. he was 100% correct about Grimley last weekend.Manager is suppose to be there to make big calls and it was clear to be seen from after 20 mins gone that the best two players on field was Eugene keating and Dunne from cavan and a sweeper should have been employed, but he put his own beliefs in front of the best interests of his side so deserves all the slating he gets. the top managers see these game changing moves early they dont wait to the first round of qualifiers to make it!

Yeah I would agree with the above, Brolly for all his bluster and crap talk is very very rarely wrong on the core issues on analysis of the games. The fact that RTE cant get an equally matched pundit to sit beside Joe to rein him in or even compete with him on some of his points is not Brollys fault. EoH looked like a guy they lifted off the street between CW and JB, CW is too worried about saying controversial to be alongside Brolly.

screenexile

Have to say I think he went over the line. Hugely sensationalist and it was basically slagging.

We all know Armagh were poor, we all know that Grimley's naievete was a huge problem. Branding him a disgrace and slagging off his 2 brothers for being big and slow isn't on. Why couldn't Brolly just have said that and moved on?

In my own opinion I think Aaron Kernan got a bad knock in the first half and was never the same after it. If Armagh had a sweeper the game would have been much closer but there is no guarantee they would have won.

squire_in_navy_slacks

In fairness to Whelan, hes in his second year now and is still reigning in his antlers a bit.............................sure look most of the country folk still hate him so he has to be diplomatic on the sunday game .................................

brokencrossbar1

Like the guy in the crowd that heckles the comedian there is only ever going to be one winner.  Less said sooner mended as the saying goes and maybe that should have been the case here.

Fuzzman

INHO
Brolly is made for tv and that's why RTE are happy to have him on.
He's a total motor mouth who loves talking and having the crack. He has a very OTT confident personality that often gets out of hand and gets himself into trouble. Often he doesn't know where to draw the line and often crosses the line. He doesn't care a lot of the time who he offends as he sees himself above it. He loves himself so much that who cares if he offends a few people on the way as long as he's funny and entertaining. I'd say the wife must dread him.

As a few of ye have said though he often is well informed and on the money. He was a big fan of Mickey Harte's tactics & systems and now he'd jumped onto McGuinness who he sees as the next GAA genius. Joe knows he's onto a winner with Jimmy's winning tactics as he'll get loads of interesting titbits to talk about all year. He enjoys talking to Jimmy who like Brolly would talk football all day and night. I think two years ago Joe was slating his tactics but now he's a fan and I will be surprised if he says a bad word about Jimmy for the years to come.

I reckon though Lyster & O'Rourke have joined Spillane in having enough of Joe's rude northern brashness and lack of respect for what they have to say. He does need to wind his neck in a good bit and let others have time to make their point without him butting in if, I mean when, he disagrees.

Finally I feel sorry for Joe's kids if they go to any more matches with him this year as they're gonna be hearing all sorts of vocab thrown his way. Joe might be able to handle all that but its not fair on his kids.

God14

If Grimley does boycott RTE... and bearing in mind the following:
* James Horan was very very upset with recent comments Brolly made
* The Cork lads were enraged when Brolly labelled them "as a dumb team"
* Jimmy McGuinness was furious with Spillane not that long ago, when he refused to name a man of the match in one of their USFC matches such was his frustration with Donegal
* Mickey Hartes ongoing Boycott of RTE due to the nasty sketch on the John MUrray radio show
... The list genuinely goes on & on

How far are the producers of the Sunday Game going to let this go? At what point are they going to reign these 'analysts' in? Surely a man can provide analysis of a game, have a bit of craic without repeatedly offending people?
I know some people say its only a bit of craic and all that - but these are amateurs. They all return to their families & places of employment on a monday morning after this public sledging match. And as Grimley pointed out - they have no opportunity to defend themselves (or their families) at all
Am I the only one who can forsee a complete black out by players and management at some stage in the future?