2015 Laois Under 21 Football team

Started by Heshs Umpire, February 23, 2015, 08:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney Army

Is the team named? Lowry back from injury?

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

Giovanni

You'd have to imagine it would be very similar to the last day out. It's a big night for the lads. I hope they can give a good account of themselves and I think they can. There seems to be a few goals in the full forward line, which is obviously a big plus.

Unlaoised

Hope Lowry and scully are back to add strenght to the team...O'Carroll will probably have to play out the field but i'd love to see him in at full forward
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great effort by the lads tonight, were behind by seven points early on with Dublin cruising but we never gave up and went in at half time only 3 points behind at 2-5 to 1-11, the goals coming from Tom Sheil and Alan Farrell.

We scored four points without reply in the second half and actually led 2-9 to 1-11. We missed three scoreable points in that period which could have really put us in the driving seat but instead Dublin came at us and rattled off seven points in a row and a goal just at the end to finish off a brave challenge by our lads.

The final score was 2-21 to 2-10 but it was a close game for long periods and not as one sided as the scoreline suggests.

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

TomBoy

Credit where it is due, this Laois team performed strongly for 30 minutes against a Dublin team who are All-Ireland minor champions in this age group. We started very slowly and went 4 or 5 points down within six minutes. But after that the lads battled back to eventually take a one point lead in the 40th minute, before missing three very scorable shots, after which the Dubs class seen them push on.

A few positives came to mind while watching the game. Alan Farrell was outstanding in midfield, he was always willing to carry the ball if needs be and he constantly supported the man on the ball. Evan O'Carroll's workrate was incredible. I have never seen a lad get through as much work as he did in the first half. Ultimately, I think he tired towards the end as a result but as very solid performance from him. I thought Dicey O'Reilly was very impressive also. Some of the forward movement was a joy to watch with men taking the ball off shoulders at pace. The foot passing was pacey and accurate and some of the point taking was good.

But, I felt Dublin were always that gear or two ahead of us. They easily cut through our defence when they pleased. And even though I thought some of our forward movement was impressive, theirs was on a different level altogether. They are a very strong outfit with excellent players, both physically and mentally in terms of their vision and ability.

A large number of this team are available for u21 next year and I think credit has to go to Derek Conroy who had this team well prepared. An 11 point beating didn't reflect the game which was hard fought for the majority of the match. This has probably been one of the better u21 campaigns in recent years, compared to the 20 point drubbings we have received from the Dubs and Kildare in the past.

Giovanni

Couldn't make the game last night but followed on Twitter. Delighted to see them make a good fist of it.

Agree with TomBoy about Evan O Carroll. With the seniors over the last few games, I thought himself and Graham Brody showed great maturity and work rate for such young lads. Although the team wasn't doing great, those two lads stood out for me. Great to see a few coming through like that. Congrats to Derek Conroy too on a job well done.

Unlaoised

Good report by Tomboy it sums it up well...

Laois done very well to come back from what looked like it was going to be a very one sided game after 10 minutes.

Laois seemed to tire on the 45 minute mark to a man they were out on their feet whereas Dublin looked like they would play all night.

They are physically much stronger than our lads its noticeable in the tackle most of the Dubs have Arms and Legs like tree trunks they look like Professional soccer players on the pitch if I'm honest.
Although we have some big tall chaps only a few our our lads look as conditioned as them which is understandable when you know the money thats pumped into the Dublin set up from an early age...

On the Plus side
We never gave up and took the lead on 10 minutes into the second half.

Evan O'Carroll was outstanding and was the best player on the pitch especially in the first half and most of the second Dublin brought on a stopped to try and stop him and the number 20 was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Young Lennon at full back done well on the Much talked about McHugh from Dublin.

Hogan from Courtwood was decent at number 6.

Farrell was excellent along side O'Carroll in a midfield battle that Laois won against the Two Dublin Senior footballers.

Moore was good in the first half linking well with O'carroll but faded.

Eoin Lowry looked like he was still carrying a leg but he won all the ball that went into him he missed two great goal chances in the first half and looked rusty but never gave up.

Tom Shiel was impressive in spells but missed 3 scoreable frees at vital times he did however get a cracking goal from a tight angle which lead to a great roar from the Laois support that was there.

Kingston took one glorious point in the first half and took on his man to give Laois the lead in the second with a Superb score agian and he battled well all game...

Derek Conroy must be credited for having this Laois team well prepared and I think we would give most teams in Leinster a game if not beat them apart from what is the Machine they call Dublin.

Roll on next Sunday Laois football has got another boost for me after this!

Evan O'Carroll deserves special praise for the effort and performance I hope he can keep this going for the year!

LAOIS ABÚ

PadraicHenryPearse

Just moved to laois so went along to watch last night. Would agree with a lot the previous posts in terms of the positives from the match. Where laois could have improved was stopping the short kick outs, which at times they did very well but switched off too often. The full forward line for me didnt do enough or tackle hard enough when Dublin were coming out of defensive. The first goal no. 15 pretty much let his man walk past him which started the move.

The 3 missed scores were a turning point but even still I think Laois need to bring on 5 fresh players around the 40 minute mark to deal with Dublin fitness levels and orate full & half forward line more.

Overall very enjoyable match and Laois can be very proud of their performance. I think I heard a lot of the panel underage again next year.

Teo Lurley

A good, battling performance. We should get a few of these lads coming through for the seniors in the next few years. O'Carroll is obviously already there and a few more on the panel. Not many teams will give Dublin a game this year I don't think. Even though it was an 11 point defeat in the end you have to be a little bit encouraged. It's a huge improvement on the last few years anyway.

redsetanta

Great battling display from Laois and as others have said those 3 poor efforts for scores just after Laois took the lead played into Dublins hands. IF Laois had gone 3 or 4 points up maybe a bit of doubt would have upset the dubs.

Hopefully the GAA will pull back with the funds they are ploughing into Dublin and send it to counties who also need it. Anyow maybe these lads will mature and progress to the senior side. Good to see something like 2-07 from play.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Derek Conroy speaking to Jack Nolan after the game last night.
https://t.co/QSSx9O9QLm
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

County Man

Want to commend the players and management on Wednesday nights brave display. Put a lot of pride back into Laois football which is badly needed.

Evan O'Carroll put in a massive shift and showed true leadership with his 2 excellent points early in the second half. Also a mention for Alan Farrell who looked lively and also got a fine goal early on to bring Laois into the game.

The scoreline flattered Dublin but they do look like a serious outfit who will take some stopping going forward this year.

SCFC

Great effort by the lads last week - there looks to be a few potential seniors in there. And a lot of them under 21 next year too, I believe.