Ulster Club SFC 2018

Started by oakleaflad, October 03, 2018, 09:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: lenny on November 19, 2018, 06:51:12 AM
Quote from: shawshank on November 19, 2018, 12:14:09 AM
Surprised there is no mention of it, but Gweedores third gl was not a penalty, big call by the ref that had a big bearing on the game. It was a fair side to side hit

Totally agree. It really pisses me off when refs blow up this sort of challenge. Ffs there has to be some physicality in the game and this was a perfectly timed shoulder.
Watch it again. Stone wall penalty. Went through the back of him.

yellowcard

Initially I thought that it was a penalty but having watched the replay I think it was extremely soft. McQuillan also failed to spot a double bounce by a Gweedore player that would have been an easy free in for Cross and which led to a Gweedore point.

He was as usual very inconsistent but you still can't argue that Gweedore were probably the better side overall and never came under any real pressure after the third goal went in. If the McKenna goal chance had gone in just after half time and Hanratty had stayed on the pitch it might have been different but that's only guesswork. I felt that Cross were dominated in midfield and there defensive frailties which have been there for some time were ruthlessly exposed yesterday. I do think that they will be stronger for the experience though and with Clarke back and a few younger players still to come in that they could be back in the mix again next year. Rian O'Neill has been outstanding for Cross during this campaign and was arguably man of the match again yesterday.   

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: yellowcard on November 19, 2018, 11:12:09 AM
Initially I thought that it was a penalty but having watched the replay I think it was extremely soft. McQuillan also failed to spot a double bounce by a Gweedore player that would have been an easy free in for Cross and which led to a Gweedore point.

He was as usual very inconsistent but you still can't argue that Gweedore were probably the better side overall and never came under any real pressure after the third goal went in. If the McKenna goal chance had gone in just after half time and Hanratty had stayed on the pitch it might have been different but that's only guesswork. I felt that Cross were dominated in midfield and there defensive frailties which have been there for some time were ruthlessly exposed yesterday. I do think that they will be stronger for the experience though and with Clarke back and a few younger players still to come in that they could be back in the mix again next year. Rian O'Neill has been outstanding for Cross during this campaign and was arguably man of the match again yesterday.

Having watched the replay, its not as clear cut a penalty as i thought at the time, but I still think it is a penalty.
It was a rash challenge to make in that situation , to try and shoulder someone who is about to get a  shot away in the box , and you always run the risk of conceding a penalty if you dont get it 100% spot on.

regardless, I thought Gweedore were the better side and deserved their win.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rufus T Firefly

I thought a major point in the game, that effectively killed off Rangers, was a poor miss by Aaron Kernan. He had escaped his man and had a free shot, from about thirty yards, for a point. I remember thinking as he drew his foot back that it was a nailed on point but he inexplicably dropped it short and Gweedore went up the pitch and got a point of their own. I'm open to correction, but I think the fourth goal came from the following play.

tonto1888

Quote from: HiMucker on November 19, 2018, 11:03:09 AM
Surprised there is no mention of it, but Gweedores third gl was not a penalty, big call by the ref that had a big bearing on the game. It was a fair side to side hit

Totally agree. It really pisses me off when refs blow up this sort of challenge. Ffs there has to be some physicality in the game and this was a perfectly timed shoulder.

Disagree. Can see why it was given during the game but I didn't think it was a penalty. A hard shoulder but fair.

tyroneman

I've certainly seen those penalties given and watching it back from the angle on TV I don't think it would be a clear enough view to overturn on VAR   ;)

Looks like it was struck close enough to the keeper too that he might be disappointed it wasn't saved?

GD full value for the win, even at 15v15 - I just would have liked to see what they would have done if Cross had narrowed it to 3-4 points.

HiMucker

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 19, 2018, 12:22:53 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on November 19, 2018, 11:03:09 AM

Disagree. Can see why it was given during the game but I didn't think it was a penalty. A hard shoulder but fair.
Its a hard shoulder in the back!

haranguerer

As clear a penalty as you'd ever see (and I'm completely neutral)

imtommygunn

I also thought it was a blatant penalty (and am neutral)

Schkite

Yeah I have to say watching it live, I had no thought that it was a controversial call at all

rodney trotter

Clear pen. Since when were you allowed to shoulder into the back

giveherlong

Definitely was a penalty
Watching it on tv Mcquillan signalled first for a free and then after some discussion (meybe linesman or someone watching the live tv picture?)over ear mic put the hands out for a penalty

FermGael

Scotstown were lucky to win that game.
They were very naïve and Coleraine should have had a third goal.
If that goes in, then the game was over.

Cross were set up very similar to Scotstown.
Tried to press Gweedore up the pitch.  But once Gweedore beat the press , Cross were wide open and Gweedore punished them by scoring goals.

Both displays highlighted the dangers of trying to play 15 on 15 in the modern game.
When you play that ,against a counter attacking team who flood the defence, you are leaving yourself wide open at the back.

Scotstown will have to change there approach when they don't have the ball if they are to win the final.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 19, 2018, 10:24:44 AM
I have to laugh at all the baiters on here getting their thrills of a cross beating. At the end of the day Cross kicked 16 points, which would win many a game of football. They conceded two soft goals, a third from a penalty that shouldn't have been and a fourth when Hanratty was sent off. McQuillan confirmed once again that he is an inconsistent referee and is too obvious in games. That said the best team won. Cross defending was un Cross like, write them off at your peril. Both teams played contrasting football and both a joy to behold great advertisement for Ulster Football. Cross could have had a couple of goals themselves but that would have been larceny.

+1

Soft goals killed them, poor goalkeeping, McQuillian and being a bit lighter than the opposition all contributed to a loss. They are not far off the finished article and that will come with maturity and experience outside the county.  Interesting to see how many will report for county duty when asked for 2019.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 19, 2018, 02:40:24 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 19, 2018, 10:24:44 AM
I have to laugh at all the baiters on here getting their thrills of a cross beating. At the end of the day Cross kicked 16 points, which would win many a game of football. They conceded two soft goals, a third from a penalty that shouldn't have been and a fourth when Hanratty was sent off. McQuillan confirmed once again that he is an inconsistent referee and is too obvious in games. That said the best team won. Cross defending was un Cross like, write them off at your peril. Both teams played contrasting football and both a joy to behold great advertisement for Ulster Football. Cross could have had a couple of goals themselves but that would have been larceny.

+1

Soft goals killed them, poor goalkeeping, McQuillian and being a bit lighter than the opposition all contributed to a loss. They are not far off the finished article and that will come with maturity and experience outside the county.  Interesting to see how many will report for county duty when asked for 2019.

I think sometimes people think that every team that comes through Cross into Ulster is going to win it.  The reality is that 12 months time from now and things will be clearer how good we can be.  Paul McKeown was a huge loss this year and if he had been fit there's no way those goals would have been scored as easily as he is the best out and out defender on the team.  Hopefully he will be back and Jamie will be there.  Cian McConville will be a year stronger, the 'older' young lads will be a year wiser and hopefully stronger also.  We produced once in a lifetime club teams twice in 20 years and as a result the expectations of us is higher than other teams.  GD were deserved winners and really have an excellent opportunity to win it out.  I'm torn as I'd like to see them win it but know a lot of the Scotstown lads and would like to see them win it too given that they have had a few hard rattles at it and 'deserve' it.  We will be back, have no fear.