Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

i belive theres a big russian billionaire lurking in the background, would be funny to watch them eat humble pie after all this time looking down their noses at chelsea
Its Grim up North

Puckoon

Must have been the food  he didnt like.  :-\

Any thoughts on who could do a job for us now that flamini is gone?

Uladh

Quote from: Puckoon on May 05, 2008, 05:56:36 PM
Must have been the food  he didnt like.  :-\

Or the paucity of medals?

Dinny Breen

QuoteOr the paucity of medals?

As if that matters anymore   ::)
#newbridgeornowhere

Uladh

Of course not. as o'neill says, arsenal fans aren't interested in trophies but rather the joy of the exhuberant football arsene has his team playing.

Dinny Breen

Money my friend is all that matters, you are as delusional as the aveage Liverpool supporter if you think any professional footballer signs for a team to win trophies...is that why Lucas Neill joined the Hammers??  ::)
#newbridgeornowhere

Uladh

in all seriousness, i would suggest that for the majority of players, if the money is there or there abouts then it'd come down to potential for silverware. there are obvious exceptions in the likes of neil.

are you suggesting there is less chance of flamini picking up medals next year than if he'd stayed with the goons?

AZOffaly

I'd sort of agree with Uladh here. I think if the money is there or thereabouts, then the chance of winning stuff, and therefore ensuring another bumper payday in the next contract, would certainly be a factor.

But if the money from a lesser team is stupid money, then a lot of players will take the easy pay day with no expectations, no doubt about it.

And then you'll have the greedy f*ckers who almost crash their cars at 'only' getting £60k a week rather than £65.

stiff breeze

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 06, 2008, 11:49:14 AM
Money my friend is all that matters, you are as delusional as the aveage Liverpool supporter if you think any professional footballer signs for a team to win trophies...is that why Lucas Neill joined the Hammers??  ::)

why do players sign for arsenal then? Its definately not money as there is a salary cap in place and its not to win trophys either. Im baffled to tell ya the truth

Uladh

Most of them sign straight from some continental team's academy so they're on fcuk all to start with

Dinny Breen

Quotein all seriousness, i would suggest that for the majority of players, if the money is there or there abouts then it'd come down to potential for silverware. there are obvious exceptions in the likes of neil.

Yes but in all fairness things aren't going to be there or there abouts, they'll just use one teams offer as leverage until they get the best deal.  And to answer your other question Flamini would have a better chance to win medals with Arsenal than Milan, Milan will just about squeeze into the Champions League, were completely outplayed by Arsenal in the 2nd round and are very much an aging side, it's hard to see how Flamini will improve them or how they will challenge in the Serie A next year. Even the most blinded Man U fan will have to agree that up until Feb Arsenal were the best side in the premiership. Eduardo's leg break was the catalyst for a very bad run of form/luck where Arsenal's lack of squad dept was crucial and Arsenal couldn't turn the tide. The future is very bright for this Arsenal side and Flamini will find out as did Anelka, Cole, Henry, Reyes, Wiltord, Pires that you don't become a better player by leaving Arsenal but you do by joining and staying at Arsenal.

why do players sign for arsenal then? Its definately not money as there is a salary cap in place and its not to win trophys either. Im baffled to tell ya the truth

You're not the only one....
#newbridgeornowhere

stiff breeze

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 06, 2008, 12:12:05 PM
Quotein all seriousness, i would suggest that for the majority of players, if the money is there or there abouts then it'd come down to potential for silverware. there are obvious exceptions in the likes of neil.

Yes but in all fairness things aren't going to be there or there abouts, they'll just use one teams offer as leverage until they get the best deal.  And to answer your other question Flamini would have a better chance to win medals with Arsenal than Milan, Milan will just about squeeze into the Champions League, were completely outplayed by Arsenal in the 2nd round and are very much an aging side, it's hard to see how Flamini will improve them or how they will challenge in the Serie A next year. Even the most blinded Man U fan will have to agree that up until Feb Arsenal were the best side in the premiership. Eduardo's leg break was the catalyst for a very bad run of form/luck where Arsenal's lack of squad dept was crucial and Arsenal couldn't turn the tide. The future is very bright for this Arsenal side and Flamini will find out as did Anelka, Cole, Henry, Reyes, Wiltord, Pires that you don't become a better player by leaving Arsenal but you do by joining and staying at Arsenal.

You're not the only one....

are anelka and cole not challenging for the title this year and in a champions league final? better for leaving arsenal, me thinks yes

Dinny Breen

Quoteare anelka and cole not challenging for the title this year and in a champions league final? better for leaving arsenal, me thinks yes

Are they better players? They might be better rewarded but Cole for example has gone from being the best left-back in England to a player who will struggle to get his England place and is probably the least popular footballer in the premeirship.
#newbridgeornowhere

stiff breeze

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 06, 2008, 12:31:33 PM
Quoteare anelka and cole not challenging for the title this year and in a champions league final? better for leaving arsenal, me thinks yes

Are they better players? They might be better rewarded but Cole for example has gone from being the best left-back in England to a player who will struggle to get his England place and is probably the least popular footballer in the premeirship.

If they win the CL  i think they will count themselves better players yes. As for being unpopular dont think he will mind when he picks up that pay check every week. he is still the best LB in england though I hate to say it.