Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: ONeill on January 06, 2007, 08:19:27 PM
Fairly run-of-the-mill victory over the scousers. That's 6 goals scored in 2 games against them this year. Hopefully we'll start to see the best of Rosicky now.

When teams come out to play against Arsenal, the Gunners thrive. Henry was ropey enough and was on the verge of substitution when the goal went in.

Never lost at Anfield in the Cup - the spirit remains!!

Couldn't give a toss about Tuesday though Liverpool are sure to go all out after today. Silverware and all that.

I doubt if most Liverpool fans give a toss about it either, especially after today. If the reserves beat Arsenal reserves, then fair enough, but I don't think many will take any pleasure out of a victory in the league cup given what happened today. Anyway, its not as if this Arsenal team are a sure bet for any silverware either, so I wouldn't get too smug.

Dinny Breen

QuoteAnyway, its not as if this Arsenal team are a sure bet for any silverware either, so I wouldn't get too smug.

Clear off J70, this is our delusional thread, you have your own we don't need any realists spoiling our fun. If only the goons could play Liverpool every week   ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

J70

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 06, 2007, 08:28:09 PM
QuoteAnyway, its not as if this Arsenal team are a sure bet for any silverware either, so I wouldn't get too smug.

Clear off J70, this is our delusional thread, you have your own we don't need any realists spoiling our fun. If only the goons could play Liverpool every week   ;)

I'm sorry, I'll leave you to it!

I'm off to dream of All Irelands for Donegal!

ONeill

Quote from: J70 on January 06, 2007, 08:22:26 PM
Fairly run-of-the-mill victory over the scousers. That's 6 goals scored in 2 games against them this year. Hopefully we'll start to see the best of Rosicky now.

When teams come out to play against Arsenal, the Gunners thrive. Henry was ropey enough and was on the verge of substitution when the goal went in.

Couldn't give a toss about Tuesday though Liverpool are sure to go all out after today. Silverware and all that.

I doubt if most Liverpool fans give a toss about it either, especially after today. If the reserves beat Arsenal reserves, then fair enough, but I don't think many will take any pleasure out of a victory in the league cup given what happened today. Anyway, its not as if this Arsenal team are a sure bet for any silverware either, so I wouldn't get too smug.

Jaysus your touchy, J70. Where's the smugness? If Liverpool had beaten Arsenal today, we'd have went all-out for victory on Tuesday, and wanted it.

Saying that, it is great playing Liverpool though. They're even softer than Arsenal! My big fear though is that we'll turn into Liverpool and go a generation without a league title. Must be awful. God forbid.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Looks like there'll be no new faces:

"I am not in for Darren Bent," said Wenger. "With the transfer window I am like somebody who is watching the rain outside from inside the window. They all hurry up out there and I am sitting here watching it with pleasure."

J70

Quote from: ONeill on January 06, 2007, 08:41:04 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 06, 2007, 08:22:26 PM

Jaysus your touchy, J70. Where's the smugness? If Liverpool had beaten Arsenal today, we'd have went all-out for victory on Tuesday, and wanted it.

Saying that, it is great playing Liverpool though. They're even softer than Arsenal! My big fear though is that we'll turn into Liverpool and go a generation without a league title. Must be awful. God forbid.

Sorry O'Neill, misunderstood. I stiil don't think Liverpool will be too bothered about the league cup, nor do I think Arsenal would have been had the roles been reversed. A Liverpool victory on Tuesday would be fairly hollow.

Were you not an Arsenal supporter before '89? That was their first since '71!

And yes, its not great not having won the title in 16 years and counting. The marvellous thing about sport though is that there is always hope that a change is around the corner! I still think Benitez is the man to do it, but we'll see what happens.

ONeill

Arsenal's line-up on Tues may be stronger than usual for this competition. A lot of fellas returning from injury should get a run out - Gallas, Adebayor, Fabregas, Lauren, Ljungberg with non-starters like Baptista, Walcott, Aliadiere and Denilson getting a game.

Dinny Breen

Squad for tonight.....

2. Abou Diaby
4. Francesc Fabregas
5. Kolo Toure
9. Julio Baptista
15. Denilson
17. Alex Song
20. Johan Djourou
21. Mart Poom
24. Manuel Almunia
30. Jeremie Aliadiere
31. Justin Hoyte
32. Theo Walcott
33. Matthew Connolly
40. Henry Lansbury (This kid has only turned 16)  :o
43. Mark Randall
45. Armand Traore

Looks like Freddie and maybe Lauren are on the way, Freddie could go to West Ham for cash plus Reo-Coker..

Have no faith in Jeremie Aliadiere and hopefully he'll be sold....
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

Poor team out tonight.

Almunia
# 31 Hoyte - age 22
# 05 Toure - age 25
# 20 Djourou - age 19
# 45 Traore - age 18
# 32 Walcott - age 17
# 04 Fabregas - age 19
# 17 Song Billong  - age 19
# 15 Denilson - age 18
# 09 Julio Baptista - age 25
# 30 Aliadiere - age 23

4-1 up though. Liverpool, with  Hyypia, Gerrard, Luis Garcia, Fowler, Alonso and Bellamy playing should peg that back though.

Guillem2

Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

ONeill

Wenger should give the 15 year old a run out.

2-5. Will age count against Arsenal in the closing stages?

Diaby, age 20, on for Walcott. Good to see him back.

ONeill

Connolly, age 19, on. 6-3. Good run-out for Baptista. Would still drop him though for Saturday.

ONeill

A good run out all-round but not overly impressed with anyone beyond what we already know. Baptista's late runs are very Ljungberg circa 2002 and something to work on. Still a bit beefy. Disappointed conceding 3 goals at Anfield although Gerrards was a special.

Windmill abu

It was good to see Alliadiare having a good game last night. maybe Arsenal could get a few extra pounds for him if they sold him now during the transfer window.
With Rosicky, Hleb, Baptista & Walcott all challenging for wide mid-field positions, Ljundberg's days with Arsenal must nearly be over. They might even sell him now as he's not cup tied for the FA Cup.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

ildanach

unbellivable result. With Baptista scoring 4 he deserves a start on saturday against blackburn. I know the liverpool defence were not the best and blackburn will be a stiffer test. But if you score 4 it will do your confidence no good to be dropped
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.