Damian Fitzhenry

Started by magpie seanie, February 15, 2010, 11:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

I see on the RTE website that Damian Fitzhenry has retired from intercounty hurling. Bloody legend. He'll be sorely missed.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0215/fitzhenryd.html

orangeman

Class goalkeeper - he gave some service - his retirement will leave a huge void.

heffo

Excellent keeper who'll be sorely missed.

Enjoy your retirement  - you'll  leave big shoes to fill.

johnneycool

The best keeper of the lot that I've seen in my time.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Asal Mor

I've always thought that too. In a phenomenal era for goalkeepers - Fitzhenry, Cummins, Cusack, Fitzgerald & PJ Ryan - Fitzhenry was the best of the lot. Had the reflexes of a mousetrap, made saves that defied logic and broke forward's spirits, perfect under the dropping ball and deadly from 21 yard frees and penalties as he showed on many important occasions. Wexford could have done without losing him now, he'll be a huge loss.

gallsman

Fantastic hurler. This one I will call a legend.

AZOffaly

Sad to see him go, he was definitely a great one. His consistency was unreal. i can't really remember him having a 'mare. On the other hand, at least he won't fecking beat us on his own any more. There were a few occasions in the 90s and 00s when that fecker kept Wexford in games, and then they snuck a win out in the end.

Fair Play Damian.

Kevin

lynchbhoy

Best of luck to him, great keeper,cold have been selectd outfield for wexford too by all accounts - at least when he was younger. Would also have made the football team.
Will be missed by wexford.

Bord na Mona man

He was the best keeper of the modern era.

He had it all, good puckouts, lightning reflexes and a great bullet shot for penalties.
Its a shame he only got 2 All Stars, which is probably partly down to him being a very unassuming and low key character.

Puckoon

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 15, 2010, 01:58:45 PM
I've always thought that too. In a phenomenal era for goalkeepers - Fitzhenry, Cummins, Cusack, Fitzgerald & PJ Ryan - Fitzhenry was the best of the lot. Had the reflexes of a mousetrap, made saves that defied logic and broke forward's spirits, perfect under the dropping ball and deadly from 21 yard frees and penalties as he showed on many important occasions. Wexford could have done without losing him now, he'll be a huge loss.

Ive often thought about that, hurling has had some magnificent goalkeepers in the last decade. Fitzhenry was definitely in pecking order for the best.

bottlethrower7

I reckon Fitzhenry was the best. And he was a gent to boot.

Had the pleasure of playing against him a couple of times.

Doubt he remembers that though!

Best of luck to him

Onlooker

An outstanding goalkeeper by any standards. IMO he was the best of his era and a great servant to Wexford in good and bad times.  The last of Wexford's All Ireland winning team to retire.