Glenswilly 0-3 St Eunan's 0-2 : The lowest scoring GAA match ever?

Started by BennyCake, July 25, 2016, 06:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: dec on March 04, 2019, 05:20:55 PM
Quote from: trailer on March 04, 2019, 02:12:41 PM
Imagine taking your children out of a school because of tactics a football team implement. f**k me.

I assume that the parents problem was with the bad publicity online rather than disagreeing with tactics.

I don't think for one second any parent is taking it that seriously that they'd remove their child from school. That's my rather sarcastic take on it.

We'll see I suppose.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Hound on March 04, 2019, 12:50:45 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 04, 2019, 11:31:30 AM
The dubs are a very defensive team too. It's a myth they're not. They are so fit they can break at pace so play good attacking football too but they put significant numbers back when they don't have the ball and you will rarely see a defender of theirs isolated.
It's mind boggling that people actually believe this!!
They see a freeze frame of 14 or 15 Dubs behind the ball and say, that's proves it, Dublin are very defensive!!

It's utter nonsense.

Yes, we put a lot of work into defence, and yes, our forwards will chase back their man if he moves forward. And if the opposition are arsing about, our lads will all work to get the ball. But we NEVER take a forward or midfielder out of their position and plop them into the back line as a 7th defender.

We would NEVER play a sweeper if the opposition played 6 forwards.

Your last point is kind of moot as no teams play with 6 forwards. Before you say exactly that is not an argument.

I have watched more than one freeze frame over the last number of years and there are more than 6 or 8 back regularly.

You still play great football but you put plenty of men behind the ball like everyone else and it's a myth that you don't whether you say so or not,

dublin7

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 04, 2019, 08:01:39 PM
Quote from: Hound on March 04, 2019, 12:50:45 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 04, 2019, 11:31:30 AM
The dubs are a very defensive team too. It's a myth they're not. They are so fit they can break at pace so play good attacking football too but they put significant numbers back when they don't have the ball and you will rarely see a defender of theirs isolated.
It's mind boggling that people actually believe this!!
They see a freeze frame of 14 or 15 Dubs behind the ball and say, that's proves it, Dublin are very defensive!!

It's utter nonsense.

Yes, we put a lot of work into defence, and yes, our forwards will chase back their man if he moves forward. And if the opposition are arsing about, our lads will all work to get the ball. But we NEVER take a forward or midfielder out of their position and plop them into the back line as a 7th defender.

We would NEVER play a sweeper if the opposition played 6 forwards.

Your last point is kind of moot as no teams play with 6 forwards. Before you say exactly that is not an argument.

I have watched more than one freeze frame over the last number of years and there are more than 6 or 8 back regularly.

You still play great football but you put plenty of men behind the ball like everyone else and it's a myth that you don't whether you say so or not,
At times dublin have 15 men back, but to claim thats their main strategy is BS. There is a difference between defending and setting up with 13 men behind the ball at all times. How do Dublin have a points difference this year of +20 even though they lost 2 games if they are so defensive??

The anti dublin bitterness has no end it seems. For some reason you left out dub players are professional footballers as well but I'm sure From The Bunker or some other Dublin hater will cover that for you

imtommygunn

Ah get rid of that chip on your shoulder. You play a lot of men in defense and break at great pace. You are just that fit that you can do it. It doesn't make other teams less defensive than you - the fitness levels and athleticism in that Dublin team are probably 10-20 % better than anyone else so you can do it.

Kerry and Dublin both play with lots of defenders - the media just never say much about it.

Chief

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 04, 2019, 09:44:22 PM
Ah get rid of that chip on your shoulder. You play a lot of men in defense and break at great pace. You are just that fit that you can do it. It doesn't make other teams less defensive than you - the fitness levels and athleticism in that Dublin team are probably 10-20 % better than anyone else so you can do it.

Kerry and Dublin both play with lots of defenders - the media just never say much about it.

Sure it's fine to have a defensive strategy as long as you are trying to win the game. If you can't appreciate good defensive football then go find another sport because you're not going to be able to avoid it. Furthermore it's not enlightened to attack like a fool and leave yourself exposed in defence.

Doing what Abbey done though, when already behind, just beggars belief. It was (a) stupid and (b) without ambition.

magpie seanie

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 04, 2019, 09:44:22 PM

Seriously - do you believe that? 1% or 2% would be a huge amount. Athleticism isn't Dublin's key advantage - it's their adaptability/tactics and football skills while also have the athleticism other sides have. Most county sides have the athleticism but not the other things, especially the football skills.

imtommygunn

I understand football skills are their main advantage but I do believe that their fitness levels and athleticism are on a different level to anyone else yes.

magpie seanie

If they have an edge in fitness and athleticism I think it's pretty marginal as most intercounty teams would be in excellent shape. They probably do everything a little better. They certainly tackle better (a skill).

I'm certain though they dop not go out in any game and say - lets put 13 men behiond the ball and counter attack. It's - if they bring 13/14 men forward then go with them and counter. Dublin play whatever tactics they're faced with - and that's their biggest strength. They're really not bothered how anyone sets up against them.

Blowitupref

Dublin have the edge in strength in depth also, like for like replacements all capable of making big impacts when introduced and many times have seen them finish games with stronger teams than what they started with.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose