Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

under the bar

Quote from: tiempo on February 25, 2018, 09:59:59 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 25, 2018, 09:38:11 PM
Just saw Wenger's Press Conference... did anyone else think the 2nd goal was offside?

Sane didn't affect anything from what I can see.

They got absolutley smoked at the Etihad in the league and yes City got a goal that was offside but Wenger used it to claim it was an even game and the ref cost them. The guy is deluded.

Big chance for revenge on Thursday night.

ONeill

There is something in that. The amount of criticism is monumental and deserved right now. If they lose on Thursday that is expected. But lose bursting a gut. Surely they will act as professionals. Unfortunately, as Gooners have known for a while, Arsene can't inspire that type of approach.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stew

Quote from: ONeill on February 27, 2018, 12:08:50 AM
There is something in that. The amount of criticism is monumental and deserved right now. If they lose on Thursday that is expected. But lose bursting a gut. Surely they will act as professionals. Unfortunately, as Gooners have known for a while, Arsene can't inspire that type of approach.

I used to admire the hell out of this man, he was a tremendous coach in his day, a visionary both on the field and in the business aspect of the game, what happened?

He should have left about 5 years ago, all he is doing now is selfishly hurting the club he loves in a vain attempt to relive past glories that are not coming back under his leadership, or lack therof.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ONeill

I dunno stew. Although he inherited the guts of a decent team initially in the back 4 and Bergkamp, his Invincible achievement was all him in 2004. I can't get his ownership of the club based on those successes. He is ruining decent footballers.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gawa316

Surely the aubameyang money would've been spent better elsewhere?

They already had Lacazette and Giroud up there and I don't see Wenger playing both Lacazette and aubameyang up top at the same time

Syferus

Quote from: gawa316 on February 27, 2018, 12:43:16 AM
Surely the aubameyang money would've been spent better elsewhere?

They already had Lacazette and Giroud up there and I don't see Wenger playing both Lacazette and aubameyang up top at the same time

Giroud is a lame horse compared to PEA.

screenexile

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

tyroneman

It was interesting listening to ShoutSport this moring on the drive to work. Much was being made of Wengers myopia when it has come to buying DM players, especially after having had great results with Petit and Silva playing that role so well.

The usual suspects were defending Wenger saying the players just are not out there, but that's patently bullsh*t. Kante was the obvious miss, especially given he was another one Wenger 'supposedly' had been scouting, but there are plenty of options available and at a range of prices.

If he was prepared to spend £35mill on Xhaka, who doesn't seem to be actually good at any MF role, then he could easily have bought a top class DM instead.

Equally the £50+million spent on PEA could have been repurposed more effectively.

Hopefully the Dortmund magic will start to pay dividends in the trasnfer market,  but there is little point bringing in good players if they are not being coached or utilised effectively.

Wenger's time is up, someone with modern tactical nous and an ability to improve players is needed. Someone with a ruthless streak who won't keep giving 5/10 footballers chance after chance after chance.

Dinny Breen

QuoteThe usual suspects were defending Wenger saying the players just are not out there

Who were these, it's indefensible, every Arsenal fan I know loves Wenger but like an old faithful dog who is in an awful lot of pain, they know needs to be put down.
#newbridgeornowhere

screenexile

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 27, 2018, 10:08:47 AM
Quote from: screenexile on February 27, 2018, 09:51:44 AM

Character!!

I would cry. Literally cry, the David Brent of football.

Jaysus don't be saying that in the Celtic thread anyway... you can't be slagging off Brodge or Brooney!!

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Main Street

Arsene's last 4 full seasons, purportedly disastrous, if taken separately would still rank up there not too far behind the best 4 seasons Arsenal have experienced in the 50 years before Arsense came to Arsenal.
And all that achieved with his (declining) managerial guile coming under minute scrutiny, facing ceaseless critical questioning, wave upon wave of hysteria, condescension, and to cap it off  -  the humiliation of the A4 size protest notices.

Dinny Breen

In those 50 years Arsenal won 5 League Titles, 4 FA Cups, UEFA Cup and a Cup Winners Cup.

It's not just about winning trophies though, it's the terminal decline in a once great man, who doesn't see it himself, Arsenal fan's don't want him to taint his legacy we want him to go with head held high. Knowing when to say goodbye can be the hardest thing, that time has arrived.
#newbridgeornowhere