Started by moysider, August 27, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: mayoman dan on October 01, 2018, 07:19:33 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 01, 2018, 07:06:56 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on October 01, 2018, 06:52:13 PM
Quote from: moysider on September 30, 2018, 11:54:17 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 30, 2018, 10:04:08 AM
A lot of Mayo lads living in a fantasy world here. The Gig is up for most of our 2006 AI under 21's in the squad. They are now 32-34 years old. Andy has to be 36 next year.
Parson's injury is very serious and talk of a 2019 return is bordering on crazy.  He is one of our biggest losses and there is a Domino effect filling up the gap left from not being available.

Vaughan and Keegan have had serious injuries in the last 12 months. The pre-30's lads have had huge Championship mileage the last 8 years.

If we make the Super 8's through the front door (not a given), We will then have 3 weeks out in a month with an aged and battle weary team. Less games is what Mayo need.

If we make the AI final we will be 2 years older than the last time we were there. Yes 2 years older!

Dublin's squad is getting younger and fresher.

And finally the last hindrance. All these guys know the journey ahead of them. They know what has to be done to get to an All Ireland final - It's a long journey and there has to been no reward at the end for any of this squad. You might think you are ready for one more big push but really you can be in denial of where you really are as a player and a squad.

(I hope I'm wrong.)

It will 4 years since Horan left when the next campaign starts. The transition after Horan left was not handled well and there has been a dysfunctional feel about the years since.
Again after Rochford there are 'issues' about what is happening next.
Solan dropping out raises questions. I've heard he has also cashed in his chips with the U20 gig. That might turn out to be a load of bollocks of course.
I know of at least one of the older hands who has not decided about going at it again. Like you Bunker, I would not be overly hopeful.
We need a new midfield for a start. Seamie, Tom P. and Big Bird are yesterday's men.

I wouldnt be as pessimistic as some on here about our chances next year.If Horan gets the job i dont think anyone will step away but bar maybe Clarke and Higgins i dont think any of the older players are starters anymore.Higgins may also have to settle for a role as impact sub.With no retirements Clarke will be in goal.Our back 6 will be Barrett Harrisson O Donoghue Keegan Coen Durcan.Diarmuid at midfield.Aido Mc Loughlin Cillian and Doherty are all likely to start in the forwards so we need to find a midfielder and some forwards.Boyle Higgins Seamus O Se and of course Andy as impact subs and its not looking to shabby.IMO Doherty needs to be played in the Andy role at ff with Cillian pulling the strings from cf.Who the forwards are is anyones guess but i would like to see Naughton James Carr and Reape given a proper chance.

How did this superb team lose to Kildare this year but will be expected to compete for an AI with a year more on the clock?

Keegan and Vaughan not match fit after serious injuries.
Our  first choice midfield gone.
Newbridge or nowhere galvanised a very good Kildare team.
The hottest weather in 30 years took a toll on a lot of our players.

As an aside you have serious interest in Mayo syferus.Was it always this way or is only since we sent ye back to the stone age with a 20 something point mauling in Croke park?????

Unless they've got the championship moved the old men are likely to have or deal with hot weather in summer 2019 too..

mayoman dan

Quote from: Syferus on October 01, 2018, 07:28:10 PM
A lot of Mayo lads living in a fantasy world here. The Gig is up for most of our 2006 AI under 21's in the squad. They are now 32-34 years old. Andy has to be 36 next year.
Parson's injury is very serious and talk of a 2019 return is bordering on crazy.  He is one of our biggest losses and there is a Domino effect filling up the gap left from not being available.

Vaughan and Keegan have had serious injuries in the last 12 months. The pre-30's lads have had huge Championship mileage the last 8 years.

If we make the Super 8's through the front door (not a given), We will then have 3 weeks out in a month with an aged and battle weary team. Less games is what Mayo need.

If we make the AI final we will be 2 years older than the last time we were there. Yes 2 years older!

And finally the last hindrance. All these guys know the journey ahead of them. They know what has to be done to get to an All Ireland final - It's a long journey and there has to been no reward at the end for any of this squad. You might think you are ready for one more big push but really you can be in denial of where you really are as a player and a squad.

(I hope I'm wrong.)

It will 4 years since Horan left when the next campaign starts. The transition after Horan left was not handled well and there has been a dysfunctional feel about the years since.
Solan dropping out raises questions. I've heard he has also cashed in his chips with the U20 gig. That might turn out to be a load of bollocks of course.
I know of at least one of the older hands who has not decided about going at it again. Like you Bunker, I would not be overly hopeful.
We need a new midfield for a start. Seamie, Tom P. and Big Bird are yesterday's men.

I wouldnt be as pessimistic as some on here about our chances next year.If Horan gets the job i dont think anyone will step away but bar maybe Clarke and Higgins i dont think any of the older players are starters anymore.Higgins may also have to settle for a role as impact sub.With no retirements Clarke will be in goal.Our back 6 will be Barrett Harrisson O Donoghue Keegan Coen Durcan.Diarmuid at midfield.Aido Mc Loughlin Cillian and Doherty are all likely to start in the forwards so we need to find a midfielder and some forwards.Boyle Higgins Seamus O Se and of course Andy as impact subs and its not looking to shabby.IMO Doherty needs to be played in the Andy role at ff with Cillian pulling the strings from cf.Who the forwards are is anyones guess but i would like to see Naughton James Carr and Reape given a proper chance.

How did this superb team lose to Kildare this year but will be expected to compete for an AI with a year more on the clock?

As an aside you have serious interest in Mayo syferus.Was it always this way or is only since we sent ye back to the stone age with a 20 something point mauling in Croke park?????

Unless they've got the championship moved the old men are likely to have or deal with hot weather in summer 2019 too..
Ya because Ireland is noted for having such great summers  :-[

bucko

Quote from: Syferus on October 01, 2018, 07:28:10 PM

(I hope I'm wrong.)

Didn't realise we had an entire squad in their mid to late thirties🤔

moysider

Age is not a factor. Injuries are obviously.

dublin7

Quote from: moysider on October 01, 2018, 10:42:23 PM

Are you serious??? Of course age is a factor. Why do you think mayo struggled towards the end of the kildare game while kildare just kept going.

Do you think it's just an incredible coincidence players decide to retire in almost all physical sports in their early/mid 30's

larryin89

Quote from: dublin7 on October 02, 2018, 07:47:25 AM

Are you serious??? Of course age is a factor. Why do you think mayo struggled towards the end of the kildare game while kildare just kept going.

Do you think it's just an incredible coincidence players decide to retire in almost all physical sports in their early/mid 30's

Calm down man , you'll give yourself a heart attack. It's okay the male footballing population of Mayo has not decreased . When I started watching mayo , Willie Joe padden , tj kilgallon, Liam McHale were all replaced , and we won Connacht titles again . James nallen  ,Ciaran Mac etc were also replaced and again we win Connacht titles again and had victories in croker too. Colm Boyle , Keith Higgins, seamie and the rest of 06 21s etc will also be replaced by fine footballers and we will win Connacht titles again and even have the odd victory in croke   . Honestly no need to panic Mayo will always produce footballers capable of competing at the top level , it's a sure bet . No panic bud
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Farrandeelin

For the love of Christ could we all calm down  ;D
Maybe we are worse than we think. Barring the mother and father of all upsets, we'll at worst enter the backdoor in round 2. A favourable draw may see us in Connacht final territory.

One game at a time sweet Jesus.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

dublin7

Quote from: larryin89 on October 02, 2018, 10:19:50 AM

Calm down man , you'll give yourself a heart attack. It's okay the male footballing population of Mayo has not decreased . When I started watching mayo , Willie Joe padden , tj kilgallon, Liam McHale were all replaced , and we won Connacht titles again . James nallen  ,Ciaran Mac etc were also replaced and again we win Connacht titles again and had victories in croker too. Colm Boyle , Keith Higgins, seamie and the rest of 06 21s etc will also be replaced by fine footballers and we will win Connacht titles again and even have the odd victory in croke   . Honestly no need to panic Mayo will always produce footballers capable of competing at the top level , it's a sure bet . No panic bud

It's not panic, it's the idea someone could honestly believe age is not not a factor in sports. If only life worked that way. No one would retire until they were in their 50s

iorras

I took it that he means age is not a factor in Mayo doing well or not; as in we have enough good quality footballers available (some of them not household names yet) for James Horan to have a competitive team next season. There is plenty of life in the "older" lads as well, some of whom while seemingly around forever are still only late 20s.
Having said that, Andy Moran should have retired "at his age" but won an extra all start and player of the year award when he was supposed to be on the rocking chair.

From the Bunker

This is not about winning Connacht titles! We are not in the 60's or 70's anymore. Do you think that players like Boyle, Higgins and Seamie will be replaced just like that?

I'm sure Tyrone and Galway thought the same in the 00's when their golden generation began to fade.

The bench mark is Dublin and we are falling behind more and more every year.

larryin89

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 02, 2018, 02:43:09 PM

This is not about winning Connacht titles! We are not in the 60's or 70's anymore. Do you think that players like Boyle, Higgins and Seamie will be replaced just like that?

I'm sure Tyrone and Galway thought the same in the 00's when their golden generation began to fade.

The bench mark is Dublin and we are falling behind more and more every year.

Boyler ...already replaced . Paddy Durcan

Higgins . . Replaced by Harrison already , with Eoin o Donohue coming in for Barrett.

Midfield is an issue I'll give you that , we need two to go along with aido . To be moving forward we need that to start moving along in this year's league.

I'm not saying we will be as good in 2019 as we were up to last year . What I am saying though it's not impossible either and the transition is not as dramatic as we are led to believe . Diarmuuid , Paddy Durcan, Brendan Harrison , Eoin o donoghue , Conor loftus are all new players to the team that started out in 2011. Mayo are not as stupid as people make out , there are some very good football men involved in development in mayo ,it's just not as publicised as you'd think it would be.

I'm very confident we will be a force next year .

Syferus

Higgins is so replaceable Rochford had to beg him to come back after spending the spring with the hurlers and immediately started. Stop lying through your teeth.

Also the idea that Paddy Durcan is half the defender Colm Boyle was at his best is laughable. Good on the front foot, arm flailing liability when asked to defend.

twohands!!!

Injuries are affected by age in terms of frequency, severity and recovery time.

If you have an older squad, they are likelier to pick up injuries, the injuries are likely to be more severe and recovery is likely to take longer.

This is backed up by all the sports science data.

larryin89

You are of the opinion Paddy is not half the defender Colm Boyle was at his peak , I have a different opinion and happen to think Paddy will be better .

MayoBuck

Quote from: Syferus on October 02, 2018, 05:39:32 PM
Also the idea that Paddy Durcan is half the defender Colm Boyle was at his best is laughable. Good on the front foot, arm flailing liability when asked to defend.

Where are you getting that from?! Paddy is an excellent man marker and is usually matched against one of the best opposition forwards.