Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

restorepride

Quote from: LCohen on November 01, 2020, 12:42:43 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 01, 2020, 11:20:22 AM
Seems that the BRITISH BC Northern Ireland don't insist on poppy wearing.
For Marty and other Shinners who negotiated and support the GFA   How many times is the term "Northern Ireland" used in that agreement?

You want someone to count the number of times the term Northern Ireland is used in the Agreement? To what end?

Unbelievable that people get their knickers in a twist over people using the term Northern Ireland to refer to Northern Ireland
I don't wear knickers there so no twist but many refuse to recognise it as a democratic entity.  After Brexit it may not even be an entity!!

Rossfan

How many of those voted for the GFA which democratically legitimised the existence of said place ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LCohen

Quote from: restorepride on November 01, 2020, 12:45:42 PM
Quote from: LCohen on November 01, 2020, 12:37:08 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 01, 2020, 11:01:18 AM
I wonder will Sidey, Oisin and Marty have their poppies on today, them working for the BBC and all that?

Who really cares??

If they wear them there will be assholes with their twitter accounts primed to give them abuse.
If they don't wear them there will be assholes with their twitter accounts primed to give them abuse.

Most people will just get in with their lives
[/qu
Leonard Cohen does!  That is why he recorded Kevin Barry.  100 years today - less we forget and all that.  The British killed many innocent people in recent times, poppy donations also go to the soldiers who pulled the triggers - there should be no poppies.

Leonard Cohen cares whether Mark Sidebottom wears a poppy????

Chill man and think that one over

LCohen

Quote from: restorepride on November 01, 2020, 12:48:01 PM
Quote from: LCohen on November 01, 2020, 12:42:43 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 01, 2020, 11:20:22 AM
Seems that the BRITISH BC Northern Ireland don't insist on poppy wearing.
For Marty and other Shinners who negotiated and support the GFA   How many times is the term "Northern Ireland" used in that agreement?

You want someone to count the number of times the term Northern Ireland is used in the Agreement? To what end?

Unbelievable that people get their knickers in a twist over people using the term Northern Ireland to refer to Northern Ireland
I don't wear knickers there so no twist but many refuse to recognise it as a democratic entity.  After Brexit it may not even be an entity!!

Well we can all agree that the principle of consent was roundly supported in the GFA triggered referenda. And that principle is enduring

LCohen

Quote from: Rossfan on November 01, 2020, 01:04:25 PM
How many of those voted for the GFA which democratically legitimised the existence of said place ?

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question.......

6th sam

I wonder will Sidey, Oisin and Marty have their poppies on today, them working for the BBC and all that?
That makes it even worse,- when the Paddys are commentating on their own sport , bbc would be stupid  On making it an issue. However some will remember Donna Traynor being harassed over the poppy on bbc news ni years ago.
I would say a tiny percentage of the overall population of the UK , never mind NI , wear a poppy, yet almost everyone wears one on the BBC. That is not representative and doesn't sit easy with many of us.
Unless Paul O'Connell wears one on the street every year, he deserves to be questioned on wearing one on TV. Such decisions leave James mcclean out to dry in the face of racist abuse.
Though I admire the fact that Rugby is an All Ireland sport , lets be honest, many Rugby players and supporters come from the privileged classist background of Rugby playing schools. Therefore Tbf , people like Paul O'Connell are not representative of most people on this island. Paul probably made a decision, that he wasn't prepared to risk the ongoing "easy-money" gig of TV punditry,  by being principled over the poppy, or maybe he just doesn't care. He's entitled to make that decision , but those who have a different view are entitled to call it out.

gallsman

This nonsense again. Marty has blathered on before and how much of a monster chuckie he is because he's never said Northern Ireland in his life. Anyone who has ain't no Republican.

Insecurity of the highest order.

restorepride

Quote from: LCohen on November 01, 2020, 01:26:22 PM
Quote from: restorepride on November 01, 2020, 12:45:42 PM
Quote from: LCohen on November 01, 2020, 12:37:08 PM

Who really cares??

If they wear them there will be assholes with their twitter accounts primed to give them abuse.
If they don't wear them there will be assholes with their twitter accounts primed to give them abuse.

Most people will just get in with their lives
[/qu
Leonard Cohen does!  That is why he recorded Kevin Barry.  100 years today - less we forget and all that.  The British killed many innocent people in recent times, poppy donations also go to the soldiers who pulled the triggers - there should be no poppies.

Leonard Cohen cares whether Mark Sidebottom wears a poppy????

Chill man and think that one over
You haven't heard Cohen's version of 'Kevin Barry'?  Very clear what he thinks.

screenexile

Quote from: qwerty123 on October 31, 2020, 11:18:40 PM
Paul O'Connell...I never thought I would see the day
:(

Roy Keane as well 2 former Ireland captains!!

Applesisapples

Christ we need to get a grip here. The Poppy is only contentious here because of the army's deployment in the troubles and the fact that it is used by Unionists as a political symbol. Across the water it is just another charity that does much needed work with army veterans often neglected by the very government the fought for. Whatever issue I have with the army here, I have to recognise that in Britain they are mainly working class lads with little opportunity and it resonates with the public. As such if Paul O'Connell chooses to work for the BBC and is required to wear a poppy, what of it. He presumably needs to earn a crust. We need a slightly more mature approach.

BennyCake

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 02, 2020, 11:26:40 AM
Christ we need to get a grip here. The Poppy is only contentious here because of the army's deployment in the troubles and the fact that it is used by Unionists as a political symbol. Across the water it is just another charity that does much needed work with army veterans often neglected by the very government the fought for. Whatever issue I have with the army here, I have to recognise that in Britain they are mainly working class lads with little opportunity and it resonates with the public. As such if Paul O'Connell chooses to work for the BBC and is required to wear a poppy, what of it. He presumably needs to earn a crust. We need a slightly more mature approach.

The army's behaviour here is just one of the issues.

The poppy is pushed by the British govt and their propaganda machine (BBC) to help ex soldiers so they don't have to. So even if the average British person doesn't agree with recent conflicts (eg. millions protested against Iraq invasion), they are still indirectly funding the war machine. While the British govt wilfully neglect their ex servicemen.

If there were no wars after WW2, the poppy would indeed be about remembrance, as there would be very little ex servicemen alive today needing the Appeal's assistance, and therefore in a year or two, no need to raise funds at all. But there's always a war somewhere, and so there will always be ex soldiers needing help.

Main Street

Take your pick of any conflict from the timeline of constant British imperial engagements

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/ng-interactive/2014/feb/11/britain-100-years-of-conflict

Baile Brigín 2

There is plenty of criticism of poppies and poppy culture in Britain

He shouldn't have to wear a political symbol to earn a living.

fearsiuil

A team of us...and them.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 02, 2020, 12:32:07 PM
There is plenty of criticism of poppies and poppy culture in Britain

He shouldn't have to wear a political symbol to earn a living.
Its only political here, and is widely respected by the public in Britain.