Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunsilly King

Mick McCann completely dictated that 2nd half today. Quality. Watched it again.

imtommygunn

I would tend to agree. There is no blame here. That position is probably reflective of where we are. It's not like Wicklow only beat us - they were on another level.

Minors win infrequently, under 21s too. Granted that's in Ulster where most teams are at a much higher level but still. Division three on a good year and division four more often than not is where we are.

We do produce some real quality from time to time though. Mick McCann an example of that. I would have high hopes for Shivers too as I think he can be that kind of level.

That's not being defeatist. I have watched Antrim all my life and am very happy when we win games but more often than not that does not happen!

erinsboy

It was good to get the win today and I give the team credit for that but truth be told that was a very poor Waterford team and they where in the game until the last 15 minutes or so .We have been in D4 for a while now, all be it we have narrowly missed promotion the last few years and when we go up we only manage a year or two before we go back down so D4 is our level and unless we do something radical to change the standard of footballer we produce we are going to stay in this division. I think it is time to stop blaming managers and county boards and anybody else we can find to blame because they can't make D3 or D2 footballers from a county that simply hasn't got them.If Mick,Tomas and Paddy C had not of been playing today I think Waterford would have won today ! we still rely on these older player to beat poor teams.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: erinsboy on October 24, 2020, 09:21:40 PM
It was good to get the win today and I give the team credit for that but truth be told that was a very poor Waterford team and they where in the game until the last 15 minutes or so .We have been in D4 for a while now, all be it we have narrowly missed promotion the last few years and when we go up we only manage a year or two before we go back down so D4 is our level and unless we do something radical to change the standard of footballer we produce we are going to stay in this division. I think it is time to stop blaming managers and county boards and anybody else we can find to blame because they can't make D3 or D2 footballers from a county that simply hasn't got them.If Mick,Tomas and Paddy C had not of been playing today I think Waterford would have won today ! we still rely on these older player to beat poor teams.

I think the above 2 posts are 100% the most sensible I've read on here
Every county thinks they're better than what they are
But as erinsboy said they're div 4 as while for a reason
Lets get them reasons ironed out
Not blame lenny or the players
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

BrendanAntrim

Its hugely frustrating to look forward to another year in the basement. I think we are better than that. Point lost in Sligo and a home draw to Carlow were the most costly days this year; taking last Saturday as an unexplainable blip.

So next year Louth and Leitrim will be down in 4, both beatable, and we have beaten both in recent times. Wexford you suspect will improve, Carlow too. It will be very hard to finish top 2.

'Sack' the manager? and what...who coming in will make a massive difference? What players aren't playing who should be? None except Matt Fitzpatrick.

Continuity I think is a valuable commodity here. Lenny and his team will have learned with each season. Lets put the lessons to work for next year,

EOC1923

We're clearly not better than basement level Brendan. Currently or the previous 2 seasons. Could pick out close calls in this this game or that but over 3 seasons we are a division 4 team on merit. I said this last week but why was likes of Adam Loughran not given a run out yesterday, would of been great experience for him, we have to build on youth, check out Derrys young lineup since the league re-started.

Milltown Row2

So we should go for youth now?

I'm all for that, get rid of the oldies and should get out of div 4
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EOC1923

Sense the sarcasm there MR2. Maybe in 3 r 4 years we would get out of Division 4 with a sustainable team. Whats 3-4 years when you look at the last 30 or 40.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on October 25, 2020, 08:51:44 AM
Sense the sarcasm there MR2. Maybe in 3 r 4 years we would get out of Division 4 with a sustainable team. Whats 3-4 years when you look at the last 30 or 40.

It's all ifs buts and maybes

Let  the managers, whoever they may be, pick the best team available to them, not everyone wants to commit to county training, pre season is a slog and no one really sees the time and effort players put in.

It's hard prep to get to a standard physically that we need to be at, be as fit as we should, obviously have ball playing abilities! For whatever reasons we don't really have that type. Club football is (Or should be) a big level below county standards, we need to find players with a mindset who'll commit whole heartily, so much easier to do when you've a decent team. I just do see the commitment lads have for their club than they do for their county.

I could be wrong and apologies to some if I am, but I'm basing it on watching those other counties, at times, they die with their boots on, on that pitch and it shows.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: marty34 on October 24, 2020, 07:20:27 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 24, 2020, 06:45:17 PM
Quote from: Calm Down on October 24, 2020, 05:31:10 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on October 24, 2020, 05:06:50 PM
I blame the county board, management, players and whoever else I can think of.

It's over, we can't go back. Let's focus on the championship.

Whilst I agree apportioning blame will not solve anything if we do not learn from what is keeping us in Div 4 then there is no point in even thinking about championship! As Carl Sagan said to understand the present and plan for the future we must understand our past
GAelfast have been researching all that for 2/3 years now so they should have all that soon...and maybe a plan :o :o :o

Anybody ever think that Antrim, regardless of manager etc. , just aren't good enough.

League never lies.

As I said, they're in Div. 4 for a reason.

Belfast GAA man

surely if you cant get promotion after 3 tries you resign and u haVe given it your best shot ............

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 25, 2020, 02:51:57 PM
surely if you cant get promotion after 3 tries you resign and u haVe given it your best shot ............

I wouldn't be so tough on the players. We'll need some of them next year

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 25, 2020, 02:57:57 PM

I mean the manager of course - no blame on hiM but after 3 years give someone else a go - Lennie is a good antrim gael

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on October 25, 2020, 03:23:36 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 25, 2020, 02:57:57 PM

I mean the manager of course - no blame on hiM but after 3 years give someone else a go - Lennie is a good antrim gael

I was being sarcastic  ;)

paddyjohn

We are where we are because we deserve to be there. We've not been consistent enough to get out of div 4. There's no point in pinning blame on players or management.

Gaelfast may work and over time start producing results, I certainly hope it does as another poster said, we've not been competitive enough at minor and Un21s. Clearly there is an argument that not enough of our lads are playing college football, Lenny can't change that. He's played the hand he's been dealt. I agree with taking back a few of the older hands to help the cause this season and it worked to a certain extent.

Instead of spouting on here about clubs and things that don't concern you, why not out your shoulder to the wheel and help.