Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: mouview on May 16, 2018, 04:13:01 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on May 16, 2018, 03:01:47 PM
Karen Bradley again reiterating today that there will be no cameras on the border. Are they planting the seeds for a customs partnership in the north only. Surely it would be 100% impossible for any technology to work without infrastructure. Even as light as cameras. The maxfac option would be impossible to police and I just can't see May agreeing to a UK wide customs partnership.

Over the DUP's dead body. They will exit the EU on the same terms as the rest of the mainland. At this stage it's either going to implode dramatically for the Tories rather like the Nazis at the end of WWII, or May will finally grow a pair, tell the loony right to f&ck off and try for the 'third way' as reported in today's RTE news.
May is lining it up for the third way - she'll paint it as the only way to protect the union (ref: her comments on the border poll). 

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on May 16, 2018, 05:28:35 PM
Quote from: mouview on May 16, 2018, 04:13:01 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on May 16, 2018, 03:01:47 PM
Karen Bradley again reiterating today that there will be no cameras on the border. Are they planting the seeds for a customs partnership in the north only. Surely it would be 100% impossible for any technology to work without infrastructure. Even as light as cameras. The maxfac option would be impossible to police and I just can't see May agreeing to a UK wide customs partnership.

Over the DUP's dead body. They will exit the EU on the same terms as the rest of the mainland. At this stage it's either going to implode dramatically for the Tories rather like the Nazis at the end of WWII, or May will finally grow a pair, tell the loony right to f&ck off and try for the 'third way' as reported in today's RTE news.
May is lining it up for the third way - she'll paint it as the only way to protect the union (ref: her comments on the border poll).

The Brits are running out of road. It would take a heart of stone not to.laugh.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

This is spin of course. The basic result of this is that people don't want a border. The UI question suffers from the usual issue of people not knowing exactly what is being proposed, and being wise enough not to express a prefeence for something they don't know what it is. The poll  also shows an interest in economic issues and a hard Brexit would surely affect the NI economy.
Basically, people do not want NI to leave the Single Market, the effect of ignoring their wishes and screwing up the economy is difficult to assess.
The problem with polls like this is that the devil is in the detail, the Brexit thing is enormously complex.

As for the border technology, the results are skewed by the Milltown Rows of this world who reckon the border cameras won't be observing them and who are happy to inflict them on someone else.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on May 21, 2018, 12:55:53 AM
This is spin of course. The basic result of this is that people don't want a border. The UI question suffers from the usual issue of people not knowing exactly what is being proposed, and being wise enough not to express a prefeence for something they don't know what it is. The poll  also shows an interest in economic issues and a hard Brexit would surely affect the NI economy.
Basically, people do not want NI to leave the Single Market, the effect of ignoring their wishes and screwing up the economy is difficult to assess.
The problem with polls like this is that the devil is in the detail, the Brexit thing is enormously complex.

As for the border technology, the results are skewed by the Milltown Rows of this world who reckon the border cameras won't be observing them and who are happy to inflict them on someone else.
Tony Connelly is really, really good on Brexit and how messy it is

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/0518/964505-tony-connelly-brexit/

AQMP

In these studies it's always worth looking at the questions that were asked.  The one on an UI was:

"When the UK leaves the EU, if there was a referendum in Northern Ireland asking people whether they want Northern Ireland to remain in the United Kingdom or to re-unify with the rest of Ireland, how would you vote in that referendum?"

The headline figure is 21% would vote for a UI is making the news but if it were  - "Unionist concern as only 50.3% of people will vote to stay in the UK" it puts a different slant on it.  As the report itself says "It is possible to interpret our data from the two investigations in different ways..."

Interesting is the 26% "Don't Know" and the 11% of Catholics who said they wouldn't vote.  These people would be needed to "win" a border poll.  I suppose if you're a "Don't Know" you are persuadable.  As I always say supporters of a UI need to convince a lot of small "n" nationalists before they think about persuading unionists.

BTW I just heard Jim Wells on the radio rubbishing other parts of this report as being carried out by remoaner academics with a vested interest in the EU.

Orior

Interesting that the English were over again inspecting the border. Did they follow protocol? One mistake is forgivable. Twice is an insult.

Also interesting is that the English bypass the DUP.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Quote from: Orior on May 21, 2018, 12:26:29 PM
Interesting that the English were over again inspecting the border. Did they follow protocol? One mistake is forgivable. Twice is an insult.

Also interesting is that the English bypass the DUP.
Brexit is senior hurling. The DUP don't know how to play power at the highest level.

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/21/support-for-brexit-falls-sharply-in-northern-ireland

"What may surprise people is the extent to which Catholics oppose all borders within these islands," said John Garry, a professor at Queen's."

I think people are beginning to see the cost of Brexit.

Orior

The most depressing thing that I seen on television in many years was yesterday's clip from the Northern Ireland Affairs Committee grilling the minister of state for immigration.

Among the big hitters were Kate Hoey, Gregory Campbell and Ian Paisley, giving the minister grief about british and irish passports and then about custom signs on the border.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/northern-ireland-affairs-committee/news-parliament-2017/passports-minister-evidence-17-19/
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

armaghniac

Reality being to assert itself with the Liechtenstein model?
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/01/brexit-northern-ireland-could-be-given-joint-eu-and-uk-status

As a sop to the unionists, NI might adopt the  Liechtenstein anthem.

Hereiam

Things slowly starting to happen now for the installation of the border
- all vacant police stations have been taken of the property market
- Border control staff are being recruited
- police are setting in motion up-scaling what they currently have
- Airports have been recruiting extra security staff

10 months to go what else have people noticed?

armaghniac

Quote from: Hereiam on June 01, 2018, 02:05:16 PM
Things slowly starting to happen now for the installation of the border
- all vacant police stations have been taken of the property market
- Border control staff are being recruited
- police are setting in motion up-scaling what they currently have
- Airports have been recruiting extra security staff

10 months to go what else have people noticed?

But is it an airport /sea border or a land border? Which vacant police stations are these, I did hear of Warrenpoint but that likely for a sea border?